Missing Clarissa

A Novel

Pub Date 07 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 21 Mar 2023
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

Perfect for fans of A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, Ripley Jones's Missing Clarissa is a gripping novel about two friends who start a true crime podcast—with dangerous consequences.

In August of 1999, dazzlingly popular cheerleader Clarissa Campbell disappears from a party in the woods outside the rural town of Oreville, Washington and is never seen again. The police question her friends, teachers, and the adults who knew her—who all have something to hide. And thanks to Clarissa’s beauty, the mystery captures the attention of the nation. But with no leads and no body, the case soon grows cold. Despite the efforts of internet sleuths and true-crime aficionados, Clarissa is never found—dead or alive.

Over twenty years later, Oreville high-school juniors and best friends Blair and Cameron start a true crime podcast, determined to unravel the story of what—or who—happened to this rural urban legend. In the process they uncover a nest of dirty small-town secrets, the sordid truth of Clarissa’s relationship with her charismatic boyfriend, and a high school art teacher turned small-town figurehead who had a very good reason for wanting Clarissa dead. Such a good reason, in fact, that they might have to make him the highlight of their next episode…

But does an ugly history with a missing girl make him guilty of murder? Or are two teenage girls about to destroy the life of an innocent man—and help the true killer walk free?

In August of 1999...

ISBN 9781250801968

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I love a good mystery, and I couldn't put this one down — I read it in one sitting! The story was thrilling and tense and kept me guessing until the very end. If you like true crime podcasts and A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, you'll love this book.

I really love how YA is bringing in the concept of true crime and how the books are being written. This one had me hooked from the beginning and was well-paced throughout.

***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of MISSING CLARISSA by Ripley Jones in exchange for my honest review.***

Main characters doing podcasts has become a frequent trope in mysteries and thrillers of late, so when a writer makes this sub genre feel fresh and, I’m excited. Two small town high school juniors examine an unsolved disappearance from their moms’ high school years for their journalism class. They aren’t experts or even skilled at first, sometimes they go live and wing it

MISSING CLARISSA has no shortage of suspects, innocent bad guys and red herrings. The major characters were flawed yet easy to champion when when I wanted to strangle them.

In a crowded mystery/thriller field MISSING CLARISSA stands out with character and plot and has crossover adult appeal.

Why does everyone love a dead white girl? Appealing to the trendy podcasts investigating murders, "Missing Clarissa" is a witty narrative about two teenage girls who have a journalism project that turns out to be more than they can chew. They create a podcast to investigate what happened to Clarissa, a white girl who mysteriously went missing twenty years in the past. With a diverse cast of characters, the story takes an interesting twist on what might happen when someone investigates a missing persons' unsolved case that leads to an exciting, yet dangerous, plot.

This is going to be this coming springs hottest book! It was so crazy good! I want to read more by this author as soon as I can! Highly recommend it!

WOWWWWW. This novel was so intense! Very suspenseful and mysterious. The writing style was fantastic and the storyline was one that really made you think and gave you a shock at the end. Excellent!!

This was such a good thriller! It kept me guessing and intrigued the whole time! The characters were likable and well developed. I would definitely recommend this to everyone!

For fans of A Good Girls Guide to Murder and Sadie, Missing Clarissa is your next book choice. In this one, two high school best friends, Blair and Cam, decide to record a podcast for their journalism class. The topic? An unsolved mystery in their very small town: what happened to Clarissa? Clarissa had been a pretty, blonde cheerleader who vanished without a trace in 1999. There were many theories about what happened, but the case was never solved and a body was never found. Could Clarissa be out there somewhere? And if not, where is she? The girls start digging up old news stories about the case and interviewing key players, but then strange things start happening. Who is it that doesn't want this case solved? A page-turner for sure.