Where Coyotes Howl

Pub Date 18 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 02 May 2023

"Addictive. Highly recommended!"—Paulette Jiles, New York Times bestselling author of News of the World

Beautifully rendered, Where Coyotes Howl is a vivid and deeply affecting ode to the early twentieth century West, from master storyteller Sandra Dallas.

Except for the way they loved each other, they were just ordinary, everyday folks. Just ordinary.

1916. The two-street town of Wallace is not exactly what Ellen Webster had in mind when she accepted a teaching position in Wyoming, but within a year’s time she’s fallen in love—both with the High Plains and with a handsome cowboy named Charlie Bacon. Life is not easy in the flat, brown corner of the state where winter blizzards are unforgiving and the summer heat relentless. But Ellen and Charlie face it all together, their relationship growing stronger with each shared success, and each deeply felt tragedy.

Ellen finds purpose in her work as a rancher’s wife and in her bonds with other women settled on the prairie. Not all of them are so lucky as to have loving husbands, not all came to Wallace willingly, and not all of them can survive the cruel seasons. But they look out for each other, share their secrets, and help one another in times of need. And the needs are great and constant. The only city to speak of, Cheyenne, is miles away, making it akin to the Wild West in rural Wallace. In the end, it is not the trials Ellen and Charlie face together that make them remarkable, but their love for one another that endures through it all.

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Sandra Dallas did it again with an excellent account of the hardships endured on the plains. Ever since Little House on the Prairie, I have been an fan of historical fiction novels and this is one of my favorites.
Ellen moves to start a new life as a school teacher where she meets Charlie, a good-looking cowboy. They're soon married and start their life together building their own ranch. This books brings you through the things this little family must go through to survive. There is love, loss, anger, crazy weather, and more. #NetGalley #SandraDallas #Wherethecoyoteshowl #historicalfiction

There is something about Sandra Dallas’s writing that draws me in every single time!
Sandra Dallas has a remarkable way of crafting a picture of a place and time in history with rich engaging characters leading you through a remarkable story. In this case, the story tells the tale of Ellen & Charlie whose love takes them through incredible joys and losses, while they attempt to settle into the harsh, often punishing life on a ranch farm in Wyoming. Not knowing anything about ranch farming or Wyoming, I, the reader had the amazing treat of being taken on a journey with this couple through all the hardships, strengths and deep love that got them through it. The reader feels like she is walking alongside the strong female lead character, routing for her, crying for her and cheering her as she navigates through life’s joys and challenges. Sandra Dallas does not ever promise a happy ending, but merely tells a tale, exactly as it should be. This story, this couple will stay with me a long time after I’ve closed the last page of this little gem of a book. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to preview this book in exchange for an honest review! This may be my favorite read this year (so far) and I will certainly recommend it to others.

An absolutely beautifully written book. It's a love song to the simple life and all the comes with it. It seems like a lot of current authors like to portray unhealthy, toxic relationships.It was refreshing to read a book where the main characters weren't. These felt like real people and real scenarios. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author.

Where Coyotes Howl painted a beautiful image of life in the West. The love story between Ellen and Charlie was full of emotion and events, highs and lows. Every character was relatable and the story was full of constant reminders that the “simple life” isn’t always so simple.

Thank you NatGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this beautiful story.