Adelaide

A Novel

Pub Date 18 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 02 May 2023

Adelaide is a beautifully-written, deeply-felt exploration of what it means to love and be loved... A remarkable debut.”–– Jill Santopolo, New York Times bestselling author of The Light We Lost

A modern, yet timeless love story from a fresh new voice in fiction.

Adelaide Williams is a 20-something American, living in dreamy London. With wonderful friends and fierce ambitions, Adelaide has little interest in finding “The One” right now, but when she meets Rory Hughes on a dating app—a charming Englishman who’s been placed there by fate, she swears—that all changes. All of a sudden, Adelaide finds herself completely in love.

Does he respond to texts? Honor his commitments? Make advanced plans? Sometimes, rarely, and no, not at all. But Adelaide is convinced that if she just tries and fights and loves a little harder, he’ll fall for her as deeply as she’s fallen for him. (He has to… right?) Because it’s clear to Adelaide that their fate was written in the stars. Why else would they have attended that same play last fall, or that Yankees game in 2016? Their paths never crossing until just the right moment.

Their relationship is made all the more complicated when Rory is thrust into a season of unexpected mourning, and soon Adelaide—the ever-supportive Adelaide—begins to fall apart herself, while striving to hold him together.

A millennial love story, Genevieve Wheeler's Adelaide explores the complexities of grief, the power of friendship, and the nuance of mental health. With unflinching honesty, and zany warmth, this raw, vulnerable novel captures the timeless nature of what it’s like to be young and in love—with your friends, with your city, and with a person who cannot, will not, love you back.

A...

PAGES 304

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I loved absolutely everything about Adelaide by Genevieve Wheeler! This compelling story reads quickly, I couldn't put it down. The characters, especially our titular Adelaide, feel beyond real and oh-so-relatable. Pangs of heartbreak nestled throughout slices of life will grip you from start to finish. The all-knowing narrator hints at "What's To Come" in a truly inspired writing style - foreboding, engaging, clever.
Weeks after finishing the book, I still find myself longing to hear from my dear friend, Adelaide. I suspect I'll be thinking of her for some time.
I hope and pray Ms. Wheeler has more stories up her sleeve!
Read it, you'll love it. Gift it, they'll thank you. 5 Stars.

Just as Adelaide’s life is divided into before and after Rory, I firmly believe my life will now be divided into before and after reading this masterpiece of a book.
I felt all of Adelaide’s pain and heartbreak and joy and love, and I absolutely adored every minute of it.
Adelaide is out in April 2023 and I strongly suggest you put it on your TBR.
(Content warnings: suicidal ideations, mental health, sexual assault)
Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC!

Adelaide tells the tale of what happens when you give too much of yourself to everyone else and it literally sucks the will
to live out of you. For anyone who has suffered through a relationship where you are carrying the entire emotional load and you need a cathartic cry, this is the book for you.

That’s not to say that there were not amazing moments in Adelaide’s journey to healing, especially those with her best friends who were there for her as much as she was for them.

Overall, this was a tough but necessary read. It shows that even when you hit rock bottom, there is a way back up, and hopefully you never find yourself tangled up with the Rorys and Emorys of this world.

Thank you so much to St. Martin’s and NetGalley for this ARC.

Omniscient narrator? Yes please! Female friendship focus? I'm sold! Young adult American expat living in London? Genevieve Wheeler nailed it! Adelaide is a beautiful, tragic, and hopeful story. And the cover art isn't bad either!

I knew nothing about this book when I started it. Within 2 chapters I couldn't put it down. Adelaide is loving, giving, caring, and a wee bit broken without realizing it. I found myself rooting for her and hoping for all the best in her life. You learn of her loves, losses, past, amazing friendships, and crazy adventures. It's beautifully and sensitively written and I am so glad I enjoy every minute of this book.