Homage

Recipes and Stories from an Amish Soul Food Kitchen

Pub Date 20 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 19 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Homage #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From renowned chef Chris Scott comes a first-of-its-kind, richly narrative cookbook that celebrates an under-explored foodway in the African diaspora: Amish soul food.

In HOMAGE, Chris Scott tells the remarkable story of his family over seven generations via comforting dishes and vivid narratives: From his enslaved ancestors to his great-grandfather, who migrated to Pennsylvania after the Emancipation Proclamation, to his own childhood in Amish country, and, ultimately, his successful restaurant career in Philadelphia and New York City.

In this tribute to those who came before him, Chris Scott shares 100 dishes born of a unique blend of Southern, German, and Dutch cuisines, including Chicken Fried Steak with Sassafras Country Gravy, Charred Radicchio Salad with Roasted Grapes and Shaved Amish Cheddar, and the ultimate Whoopie Pies.

Stunning photography evokes the rich history of these distinct cultures. HOMAGE is a must-have for home cooks who love JUBILEE and Carla Hall, who enjoy soul flavors or Midwestern food, or who are drawn to cookbooks with vivid storytelling, a sense of place, and a new point of view.

In HOMAGE, Chris Scott tells...

Marketing Plan

- Preorder messaging to get attention from core audience with localized incentive

- Giveaways in conjunction with BIPOC-owned food businesses

- Events in conjunction with the Museum of Food and Drink in New York

- Possible author tour stops in San Francisco and Los Angeles

- Consumer, trade, and social media advertising campaign

- Surface as a major Culinary Award contender: IACP, James Beard, Gourmand

- Author is based in New York

- Giveaways in conjunction with BIPOC-owned food businesses

- Events in conjunction with the Museum of Food and...

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781797207742

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is an interesting book!

Chris Scott shares his history through food pulling recipes from his unique blend of family. He shares stories about his family as well as the history of food throughout the book as well as recipes.

I was hoping for more pictures of the food since that's something I like in recipe books, but there's a lot of interesting history in this book. There's a nice variety of recipes as well! I'd never heard of chow-chow before or the history behind chicken and waffles.

Overall a nice find!

I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. Interesting book. There is a lot about the author's family history, it seemed to read more like a biography than a cookbook. There was some interesting recipes in there that I am looking forward to trying. I also loved that the recipes looked pretty easy to make.

This is a really powerful addition to the body of cookbooks by Black cooks, with great recipes and in depth history of the region, the food, the people, and the author's personal history. Beautiful photos accompany some recipes but not all. No nutritional information is provided. Recommended.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.

What a stellar read. Family stories, family photos, handwritten recipes…a gorgeous microcosm of comfort food recipes for one family. I loved every delicious minute I got to spend with this book, and I learned so much on every page.

This is a fantastic cookbook full of delicious Amish soul food and interesting family stories! The recipes are flavorful and the food photography is beautiful.

A cookbook mixed with a memoir. Very interesting to read and see how the different recipes connected to his life. Interesting to learn about a cuisine I have not experienced much before ( or at all) and found many recipes to add to my rotation. Beautiful photos too.

#Homage #NetGalley

So much more than a cookbook. I'm so appreciative of Chris Scott sharing his deep and meaningful family background and how (through painful life moments) important food is to Black and Brown culture within the States. The recipes are beautiful and new. A unique story through food a simple and well-designed book that will be an important resource to continually go back to.

Thank you.

A different take on your typical cookbook. There were a lot of beautiful artistic photos of the food along with personal photos from the author which was a wonderful touch. The author shares his family legacy and history throughout the cookbook along with many family recipes. There were many new to me foods featured in this cookbook which was fun to learn about.
My downside for this book was it felt more like a personal history more than a cookbook or perhaps a bit like looking up a recipe online and having to scroll through pages to get to it. Not that the authors history isn't fascinating but made it feel less like a cookbook. But it's a cookbook for a different generation than your typical cookbook.
I recommend this book to southern food lovers who also love history.

Thank you Net Galley for a copy of Homage by Chris Scott. This book was like going back in time for the author to his family. Makes me wonder what a book would look like with my History with my Grandma. What a beautiful book!