Edisto Heat

Pub Date 31 May 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #EdistoHeat #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Fire steals her breath and took her husband years ago, but Edisto Beach Police Chief Callie Morgan will have to face the flames again when an arsonist stalks the beach. One fire could be carelessness, but three? Trouble is, the all-too-easy suspect may be an intellectually disabled young man who idolizes her in particular and law enforcement in general.

With the town unsettled by the fires and a string of breaking-and-entering crimes, they're screaming for closure. They want someone's head on a spike, and Callie must fight against time and popular opinion to unearth the real arsonist, who is clearly willing to kill.

Her island is angry, scared, and looking to her for answers. If she doesn't find them, Callie will be forced to pay a price.

Praise for the Author:
"Ms. Clark delivers a riveting ride, with her irrepressible characters set squarely in the driver's seat."
Dish Magazine on Echoes of Edisto

"Page-turning…[and] edge-of-your-seat action… Prepare to be absorbed by Clark's crisp writing and compelling storytelling. This is one you don't want to miss! " —Carolyn Haines, USA Today bestselling author on Dying on Edisto

Hope Clark's books have been honored as winners of the Epic Award, Silver Falcion Award, the Daphne du Maurier Award

"Entertaining and compelling start of a new series. "—Anna Maria Giacomasso, NetGalley Reviewer on Murdered in Craven

Author Bio:
C. HOPE CLARK has a fascination with the mystery genre and is author of the Carolina Slade Mystery Series as well as the Edisto Island Mysteries, both set in her home state of South Carolina. In her previous federal life, she performed administrative investigations and married the agent she met on a bribery investigation. She enjoys nothing more than editing her books on the back porch with him, overlooking the lake, with bourbons in hand. She can be found either on the banks of Lake Murray or Edisto Beach with one or two dachshunds in her lap. Hope is also editor of the award-winning FundsforWriters.com.

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781610262033

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Edisto Heat is the 8th book in the Edisto Island Mystery series by C. Hope Clark.

"Edisto Beach Police Chief Callie Morgan lost her husband to a fire years ago. Now recent fires on Edisto have brought all of those terrible memories back. She must face her fears to find the arsonist. the town council and residents are screaming for answers but Calli must be care ful of public pressure to find the culprit."

This book is different from previous books I've read in the series. A lot more time is spent in Callie's head with her PTSD and relationship issues instead of police work. So this is more psychological suspense than crime fiction. I enjoyed the last twenty percent much more as the clues came together and the chase began.

Brice is a character you will learn to despise. Clark is a local author so I have some idea who the character might be loosely based on. Be careful what you say to an author people - you might end up in a book someday.

It's great to have some crime fiction set in the Low Country. Fans of Clark's previous books should enjoy this one.

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review…this author is talented at weaving a cannot put down mystery. I love the setting of Edisto and am familiar with the area. The characters are likable and some not so much…the protagonist and her friends lead us on a chase…reading about all they are doing…red herrings abound…this is a good book…enjoy…

I really enjoyed this southern mystery. It's the first of C Hope Clark's Edisto series I've gotten to read, and I will go back and read the previous 7 books in this series. I'd read her Craven series and enjoyed that so much I wanted to try the Edisto series.

There is an arsonist and burglaries on the island - Callie is the police chief trying to solve all the crimes. The cast of characters are wonderful people, the small town feel is amazing and the scenery descriptions are immersive. Being the 8th book, I was worried I had missed all the background story - but there is enough included in this story that I didn't feel lost figuring things out. Well crafted and enjoyable!

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for a temporary, digital ARC in return for my review.