Renewal

Pub Date 13 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Renewal #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It’s been two years since aspiring novelist and English teacher Malcolm Aton has had any contact with his family. Ever since his divorce and the loss of his mother to cancer, his relationship with his father has been strained.

When he receives an urgent text from his brother, he learns the devastating news that their father’s memory issues have progressed. He’s now violent and at the end stages of Alzheimer’s disease.

Although confrontation with his father is imminent, Malcolm reluctantly agrees to return home for the weekend and take on the mantle of caregiver while they contend with the difficult decision of how to care for their father. As is the case with everything involving his family, nothing goes as expected.

Unapologetically honest, Renewal is the story of a family learning to cope with the crippling diseases of cancer and Alzheimer’s, of allowing old wounds to heal, of a patriarch coming to terms with the deterioration of his memory and identity, and of Malcolm coming into his own by taking on the ultimate responsibility of caregiver.

A Note From the Publisher

Available in the following formats: Hardcover: 978-1-64397-307-4 | Softcover: 978-1-64397-308-1 | Ebook:. 978-1-64397-309-8 | LCCN: 2021944531 | Print distribution through Ingram, Gardners, and Baker & Taylor | Ebook library distribution through Overdrive, Hoopla, and Baker & Taylor.

Marketing Plan

—Indie Next List (September) Nomination

—Library Reads (September) Nomination

—National Review Coverage

—Prepublication Buzz Campaign

—Extensive marketing to Booksellers, Librarians, and Book Influencers, including digital ARC campaign

—Digital ARCs Offered on NetGalley & LibraryThing

—Targeted Consumer Email Marketing

—Extensive Social Media Promotion

—Reading Group Guides Available

Key Selling Points:

—Joseph Falank is known for his ability to create realistic and relatable stories that focus on the personal journeys and struggles that many of us face.

—Readers who enjoyed We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas and Still Alice by Lisa Genova will find much to love about Renewal and its honest look at Alzheimer’s disease.

—With emotion dripping off its pages, readers will easily connect and relate to Joseph Falank’s well-developed characters.

—Indie Next List (September) Nomination

—Library Reads (September) Nomination

—National Review Coverage

—Prepublication Buzz Campaign

—Extensive marketing to Booksellers, Librarians, and Book...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Wonderful book. Seems especially fitting right now. Loved story from every character.

Thanks to author, publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.

Omg...I don't have words for this book. Though my dad had cancer not Alzheimers so much radiates from this book. From being a care taker and having those ugly cries in heartbreaking moments. The feelings from this book broke my heart, brought back so many feelings and makes you realize how important family really is.
I'm glad this author decided to finish this book.
With even a heavy heart and a book hangover this book I have to say is just fantastic.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.

Inspirational and educational, this saga of a son struggling to cope with his elderly father's Alzheimer's tugs at the heart. Well-written, you care about the characters in this book. No surprises...you tend to know how this thing will end...but the journey is worthwhile.

This is a wonderful, heartbreaking, real depiction of a man's journey with the dreaded Alzheimer's disease
His adult son's needs to make some decisions as they struggle to come to terms with what is coming. Not easy to accept that the roles are reversing.

Each person is an individual and truly this dreadful disease does not follow any rules as we soon discover.

Thank you to #BHC Press and to NetGalley for this ARC and allowing me to provide my own review.
Well done!

The characters are fiction but they certainly feel real with a story that digs deep into the human soul creating a flood of emotions.

This is Mel’s story. He is a 7th grade English teacher in PA and just submitted a novel in hopes that it will be published. His brother, Randy, lives with his wife in a small town of NY which is minutes away from their dad, Dennis, who has been living alone. Their mom died two years ago from lung cancer.

The story starts when Randy sent a message: “Mel, you need to come home. Dad’s not well.” The red flag went up. His father had Alzheimer’s disease with the textbook symptoms: he forgets things, has mood swings, he doesn’t recognize faces, names and numbers. Sometimes it looks like he’s stuck in a trance. He tends to mumble or drool. Sometimes he doesn’t know how to hold a pencil in his fingers. It's basic stuff. The stinger: he may hurt someone if he doesn’t know who this person is in his home. Is it time for an assisted living facility? I would say yes.

If that’s not enough, Mel, kept his phone close by waiting for a call. The author tossed in a glimpse of what it’s like to work with a literary agent. Mel started writing novels at age 14 as a comfortable hobby. Now it was all about hope – for his book to be published.

The author didn’t leave much out from what exactly happens to a patient with Alzheimer’s. Many will be able to relate to the pieces of the disease which can be very painful to witness. While the book is less than 300 pages, it can take some time to process. Parts were intense with sadness; others made you smile. There were some unexpected twists that made it more interesting. It was well written with a good flow of words. This is one book I can’t stop talking about in memory of my father and all those that have suffered from this dreadful disease.

My thanks to Joseph Falank, BHC Press and NetGalley for allowing me to read this advanced copy with an expected release date of September 13, 2022.

the story of a son trying to cope with his father's Alsheimer, it is sad and inspirational, loved the story.