The Stranded

Pub Date 03 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 03 Jan 2023
SOURCEBOOKS Fire, Sourcebooks Fire

Betrayal, romance, and a fight for freedom: The Hunger Games meets Station Eleven in this gripping near-future dystopian

Welcome to the Arcadia.

Once a luxurious cruise ship, it became a refugee camp after being driven from Europe by an apocalyptic war. Now it floats near the coastline of the Federated States—a leftover piece of a fractured USA.

For forty years, residents of the Arcadia have been prohibited from making landfall. It is a world of extreme haves and have nots, gangs, and make-shift shelters.

Esther is a loyal citizen, studying to have the rare chance to live life as a medic on dry land. Nik is a rebel, planning something big to liberate the Arcadia once and for all.

When events throw them both together, their lives, and the lives of everyone on the ship, will change forever...

Welcome to the Arcadia.

Once a luxurious cruise ship, it became a refugee camp...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

*4.5*

I don’t usually read an eARC so early nor do I start reading immediately after downloading, but this book was different. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been so intrigued by a book. I found the whole book so incredibly interesting and I needed more. I had a hard time putting this book down and thought about it a lot. It reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games era of dystopian books which I love a lot.

I really enjoyed the multiple POV, especially one being from a villain. Their stories were interconnected and I liked gradually learning their backstory and motivations. There was so much action in this book which felt like watching a movie.

My only reason for a lower rating is the ending. It was so action packed and great, but I wasn’t completely satisfied. I want more and I can’t figure out if this is a series or standalone, so if you’re reading this please help a girl out if you know the answer.

Overall I loved this page turner dystopian world and will definitely check our future books from this debut author!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the eARC!

This YA dystopian sci-fi was everything I wanted it to be. It brought me back to the days of <i> The Hunger Games and <i> Divergent which practically raised me as a teen.

The Arcadia truly is my worst nightmare where freedom stands on a fine line. I loved the switching POVs and the gut-wrenching suspense that most chapters left me with. This was such an amazing debut and a great way to ease into sci-fi books for those who are hesitant with the genre. I will read anything Sarah Daniels writes in the future.

This book may be directed to young adults, but it should be listed as for all adults. I loved this book. I could not put it down.
The story is of a people who had been stranded on a cruise ship forty years before and not allowed to disembark due to a horrible virus. People lived, had children, died, fought, loved all on this ship.
There is a rebellion. I was totally engrossed in the lives of the main characters. There are good guys, bad guys, in between guys, really bad guys and non stop action, adventure, fear, and suspense. Truly, when I am yelling while reading a book, you know I was drawn into it.
My only complaint is that the book ended far too soon. I hope there is more to come.

Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity of this early read.