The Glades

Pub Date 21 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 30 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheGlades #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A Note From the Publisher

John spent the early years of his career as a rehabilitation counselor offering a hand to people in need. Some took it, and with them, John was privileged to share their journeys. He learned of real human suffering, the tragedies, and the victories of life. But most of all, he realized we share a never-ending quest to be known. He is dedicated to making his characters known to his readers, even if just a little while. John now writes full time, has published "Cupid" and "The Glades", and has plans for several other novels.

Advance Praise

"Netti weaves these characters into a complete narrative of sex trafficking, corrupt politicians, murder, and the inevitable draw of righteousness and justice." -Anne-Marie Ray, Professor of English, State University of New York, BA, Ma

"The Glades is a spellbinding potboiler that keeps readers holding their breath up to the very end." -Megan Davidson, author of The Thundering

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really, really liked this book! It hooked me from the first chapter and kept me hooked the entire time!

I was pleasantly surprised by this book that turned out to be interesting and a page turner. Best part of this book is the story but it’s only secondary to the characters. If you love a thriller you’ll love this book.

I really enjoyed this well written page turner of a mystery. Maddy Reynolds is a great character, and the supporting cast and scenery of the Adirondacks makes this a must read. I received an ARC from NetGalley, and the opinions expressed are my own.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher I was able to read this ARC. The setting, in the Adirondacks, immediately caught my attention as I spent a lot of time in those beautiful mountains from childhood in to my 20’s. I could fully understand why the main character, Maddy, a retired police detective who had solved some high profile cases, decided this was where she wanted to live. She unknowingly builds her home near an old Adirondack Great Camp that has been turned into a house of horrors, and a playground for immoral wealthy guests. As the body found rises Maddy needs to uncover the secrets being kept before they destroy any more innocent lives. I was slowly drawn into the story, and then couldn’t put it down until I found out how it ended.

Thank you to NetGalley and Black Rose Writing for this early copy of The Glades in exchange for me honest review.

After Maddy decides to retire as a detective and build a home on a mountain to slow down her pace. There’s a place in the mountains called The Glades and something is just suspicious about it. Maddy decides to do what she does best, investigate.

This book was very easy to follow and fast paced. Maddy was a likeable main character. This book deal with difficult but important topics in a delicate way. This book is also dark and talks about sex.trafficking. Please take caution when reading. I highly recommend checking out this book!

🏞Captivating storytelling🤗
A downright marvelous adventure despite its tragic subject matter👍

I could not put down this thriller set in the Adirondacks where a strong and resourceful retired female cop finds disturbing undercurrents of abuse, tragedy and outright evil. And she thought she was escaping it all by moving to a mountain top adjacent to a quaint small town! There are some brilliant characters, especially poor, brave Hector, a fifteen year-old who finds life nothing but hard and tragic. His family story was actually the emotional lynchpin for me.

Female lead protagonist Maddie's previous deadly experiences in dealing with a serial killer who attacked her own family that apparently were the subject of Netti's thriller Cupid are mentioned, but the connection to an earlier story did not confuse me, leave me bewildered or reduce my enjoyment of The Glades one iota.

Good action scenes, plenty of foreboding lead-up to a dramatic, no-holds-barred, edge-of-my-seat climax. The looming deadline built into the story's timeline helped build the tension. This one took me a bit by surprise. Yes, there is some description of abuse to young women drawn into the web of The Glades seamy secret human trafficking operations, but the story is more focused on the way power corrupts, coerces and terrifies the innocent into either collaboration or silence. It may seem a stretch to imagine such places exist in the U.S., but I'm not so sure.

Thanks to John Netti for a fascinating tale, and to Black Rose Writing and NetGalley for sharing a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest opinion.

When Detective Maddy Reynolds escapes street violence by leaving her job to live in the Adirondacks, she builds a house on Berry Lake, across from The Glades. Avery Jordan, its founder, operates a sex-trafficking operation out of the sprawling retreat. He and his minions are on a collision course with the renowned detective when they try to discover her true purpose for moving to the remote location. The opening is atmospheric and completely absorbing.