The Second You're Single

A Novel

Pub Date 31 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 14 Feb 2023
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Griffin

Cheerfully irreverent, bitingly funny, and filled with romantic charm, Cara Tanamachi's The Second You're Single is all about navigating the most romantic month of the year, and how love always seems to arrive when you least expect it.

Freelance writer Sora Reid believes in inertia. She’s the odd one out in a close-knit family of go-getters, including her Japanese-American mom, who hints about her need to lose weight, and her soon-to-be married, overachieving younger sister, who needs her to have a date for the wedding, since a wedding party couples' dance with their Scottish great uncle Bob simply won't do. For Sora, minimal input, minimal expectations is the way to go. She’d rather stay at home with her insufferable neighbor and her adorable pitbull.

The one thing that disrupts her inertia: an intense dislike for Valentine’s Day. What is it with the commercial love machine? Why do we pin our hopes on one romantic day, when staying home with a package of bacon and a bottle of tequila would be way better? Sora’s been betrayed and disappointed more than once and her heart is starting to feel like her Grandma Mitsuye’s antique Japanese ceramic bowl, with its many gold-filled cracks.

When her pledge to stay single in February inspires readers to #gosolo, Sora has a responsibility to empower her readers. But relationships aren’t built to last, so it shouldn’t be that hard. Right?

Enter Jack Mann. A muscle-bound baker who looks like he lifts logs on the weekends, Sora hasn’t thought of Jack since they were in elementary school together. When they see each other at the local grocery store and the attraction hits hard, Sora knows she has to shut it down, quick. She can’t #gosolo AND get the guy. She can’t let down her readers. And relationships always end, so why should Jack be any different–even though he’s confounding all her long-held expectations of love?

“Riotous, whip-smart, and original. Read this happy-making book if you love yourself.” —Jayci Lee, Author of Booked on a Feeling

PAGES 288

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Delightful rom-com with characters to love. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey of Sora and Jack, rooting for them the whole way. The characters have great chemistry and banter and Jack's grand gesture makes the ending perfect. Also love the fact Sora adopted a disabled dog -- so many disabled dogs and cats wait a lifetime for forever homes.

Thanks NetGalley for the advance copy of this book.

Also reviewed on Goodreads

This book was super cute and enjoyable, and it got me out of my reading slump. I loved every chapter!

I truly enjoyed this book! Sora represents so many woman who have been in bad relationships, wondering if it is worth trying to find love. Her promotion of Solo February obviously resonated with thousands of women. Meeting Jack after so many years, and instantly connecting with him gives her hope that not all men are worthless. I appreciated that she needed to take time for some self care, and not worry about what others expect of her. Jack also has some relationship baggage and between the two of them, Jack and Sora still manage to find hemselves drawn together, I would recommend this book to anyone who likes romance.

This was a new author for me . I never read anything from this author before but for the most part I really liked this book. I thought the whole story was amazing. I honestly didn’t want this book to end. I can’t wait to see what this author comes up with on the next book they write. I usually judge a book from the cover because for me it shows if it’s going to be interesting or not and I loved the book.

what a cute romance and that started because they were friends from elementary school. Loved that she figured out herself in #solo and doing the article. Loved the romance and being human. I loved his family and her mom and loved her mom and sister. Overall I really enjoyed this romance.