Broke the Bread, Spilled the Tea

Pub Date 30 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 15 Dec 2022

Talking about this book? Use #brokethebreadspilledthetea #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

If you're a Christian and LGBTQ+, it can be difficult to reconcile your faith with your identity. In an era of misinformation and blind faith, "Broke the Bread, Spilled the Tea" aims to explore one of Christianity's most marginalized groups--queer people--and break down exactly what the Bible says about queerness through a contextual, historical, and lexicological lens. The author looks past the superficial reading that so many today have embraced and brings about an academic approach to truly decipher the "gay-bashing" verses in the Bible today compared to its ancient context. Bridging the gap between identity and faith is possible when we conclude that perhaps the God preached on the Sunday pulpits isn't the whole truth of who He is. From an author deep in the trenches comes this hard-hitting book exploring our place in Christendom today.

Back Cover:

What do you do when your identity directly contradicts your faith?

The Christian Church has long been one of the most influential institutions in society. Self-proclaimed as God’s representatives on earth, it is ironic to see how a faith of love and inclusion has been the source of wars, genocides, slavery, and oppression throughout the ages. In an era of misinformation and blind faith, maybe it’s time to take a closer look at the Bible and “judge by the fruits” of what is real and what is not. Broke the Bread, Spilled the Tea aims to explore one of Christianity’s most marginalized groups and breaks down exactly what the Bible says about queerness through a contextual, historical, and lexicological lens. Bridging the gap between identity and faith is possible when we conclude that perhaps the God preached on the Sunday pulpits isn’t the fullness of who He actually is.

From an author deep in the trenches,

I’ve broken the bread,

it’s time to spill the tea.

Advance Praise

"Broke the Bread, Spilled the Tea is a great read for anyone who might be struggling with faith over their identity or for anyone who just wants to dive into a historical interpretation of some of the Bible's more controversial topics. I felt this book did a great job at blending factual academic writing with a friendly, approachable voice as a guide."

"This is an important book, especially for young adults/teens in the church who are searching for answers, but don't know where to go."

"Broke the Bread, Spilled the Tea is a book that deserves to be on every queer household’s coffee table. Regardless of whether you’re religious or not, this book can equip you with biblical and historical knowledge that can put things into new perspective, answer any curiosities, reaffirm your identity or become the basis of a deep and interesting conversation."

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for allowing me to receive an arc in exchange for my honest review- all thoughts and opinions are my own!

As someone who is deconstructing her own faith- this hit hard. Beautiful, insightful, and backed up to easily pull your own research. I wish the author well- as well as anyone who is struggling. You are loved. So loved.

I discovered this book on NetGalley! I wish I had read it sooner.

I'm participating in a community group with Queer Christian Fellowship called "Deconstruction/Reconstruction".
Having read this book, I think it would be a very useful tool for guiding and affirming the deconstruction/reconstruction process.

I deeply appreciate the way that the author engages with the Biblical text, traditional perspectives, their impact, as well as the contextual and historical elements.

I loved the format of "The Church's Crumbs" and "Spilling the Tea." Very informative and accessible.

It is clear that a lot of research, personal reflection and time went into the compiling of this resource. I hope all Christian's have an opportunity to engage in this text, learn something new, feel affirmed, and challenge their inherited perceptions.

NetGalley ARC Educator 550974

It's time for the people to learn and search the holy scriptures and texts for themselves. It's past time for a book to delve into the topic of LGBTQ affairs as it relates to religion. God created and loves all, without regard to their sexuality. Hard to believe but this book gives evidence and back ups its exertions.

I hope this book gets into the hands of any questioning God's love for them. There are many accepting and inclusive ministries and more and more books exploring this topic.

“I would rather hold onto hope (even if it’s a sliver of it) than hopelessness.”
WOW!!!! So many important statements made throughout the book, but the author really emphasizes God’s love for ALL humans.
As a person that is overtly analytical, paying close attention to context & details, I found this book well researched & consistent to the matter being discussed. I often found myself thinking of Matthew 6:7, “And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.” The author get’s to the matter at hand without being overly wordy or complex.
Such an amazing read that I look forward to re-reading again & again!

I thought this was beautiful and personal. This is the exact book I wish I had as a teenager begging to come to terms with my faith and sexuality.