a girl with five ties

Pub Date 25 May 2022 | Archive Date 07 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #agirlwithfiveties #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Chloe is a Ph. D. student struggling to survive in a ruthless environment of academic bullying and exploitation. We accompany her through a deepening crisis of mental and physical health and slowly uncover the traumas which lead her to develop a severe eating disorder. Her world is dominated by the tyrannical Dr. Rein, her supervisor, who forces his researchers to work unimaginably long hours, threatening to withhold funding and postponing his students’ graduation. Chloe seeks solace in the arms of the many men who surround her, developing a complex network of lovers. But how long will it be before her liaisons begin to unravel? Can she overcome her inner demons and recover a healthy state of body and mind? Is it just a case of finally finding the right man?

*****
Lab, experiments, Dr. Rein’s constant threats and admonishments, rats, mice, endless hours of working… We are back in hell, and here are this week’s horror stories from academia.

I am going to find some coffee; it is really chilly today. Heading to the dining hall, I check if they have soup—and after careful inspection and testing the amount of oil—I get a cup and oh, it is so delicious! I feel like a homeless person when I eat; I feel for them. I think about the homeless all the time. Maybe it’s because I understand their hunger. It is pretty cold over the winter here and in many other states too. Just thinking about being homeless and sleeping on the frozen ground breaks my heart.

Right now, all I truly want is to return to Joel’s apartment. And yet, I somehow can’t stand the idea of him touching me. I like sex—believe me, but there is also some sort of demon inside me which makes me hate any person who gets too close. Whether it’s Joel, Chuck…. Why can’t I just get over it? Because it feels good to have them. I feel good that they need me.

From Author Dr. NN
I am an assistant professor in the engineering college, and I enjoy teaching engineering subjects but I like poetry and writing very much. My life experiences have not been always pleasant, and I like to write about them, Intertwined with fiction of course.

a girl with five ties is my first book. This book is very personal to me and so many of those plots happened in real life. I believe that talking about these issues can be key to challenging the harmful aspects of academia and building a more sustainable, healthier pathway to higher education.

PRICE

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This is a very intriguing read.
A definite departure from what I normally read but glad I did.
This is terrible what the girl has to go through but also eye opening as to what is faced in todays world.
A must read for anyone that is struggling as you may find ways to help you through your own journey,
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher. This is my own honest voluntary review.

I read this book on kindle. I guess if you have not been to graduate school its hard to understand the pain. If you had a bad adviser you'll know what DrNN is talking about. Also the sad story of eating disorder of Chloe make me cry. I actually don't like very long books so this was perfect for me. I think this is a memoir, at least that what it says on the Amazon page. how sad.....