Welcome to Dragon Talk

Inspiring Conversations about Dungeons & Dragons and the People Who Love to Play It

Pub Date 05 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 05 Dec 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WelcometoDragonTalk #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

POPULAR CULTURE

If it seems like everyone you know is playing Dungeons & Dragons, it’s because they are! After nearly five decades, the iconic roleplaying game is more popular than ever. Famous Hollywood actors and directors, therapists, educators, politicians, kids, parents, and grandparents all count themselves as fans. In Welcome to Dragon Talk, hosts of the official D&D podcast Shelly Mazzanoble and Greg Tito and their surprising guests show how this beloved pastime has amassed a diverse, tight-knit following of players who defy stereotypes.

Shelly and Greg recount some of their most inspiring interviews and illuminate how their guests use the core tenets of the game in everyday life. An A-list actor defends D&D by baring his soul (and his muscles) on social media. A teacher in a disadvantaged district in Houston creates a D&D club that motivates students to want to read and think analytically. A writer and live-streamer demonstrates how D&D–inspired communication breaks barriers and empowers people of color. Readers will see why Dungeons & Dragons has remained such a pop culture phenomenon and how it has given this disparate and growing community the inspiration to flourish and spread some in-game magic into the real world.

POPULAR CULTURE

Advance Praise

“Shelly and Greg are the Regis and Kathie Lee of Dungeons & Dragons (or Kelly and Ryan, for the younger generation). They’ve been hard at work collecting the backstories of all the game’s biggest names from long before its modern renaissance, and this book is a fun and heartfelt peek behind the curtain at the game’s current champions and eccentric personalities.”—Joe Manganiello, actor, writer, producer, D&D collaborator, disciple of Tiamat

“From education to interpersonal growth to creating lasting friendships and more, the many uplifting values of D&D are recounted wonderfully by Shelly and Greg, who have grown with the game and with their many Dragon Talk interviews. This is a truly enjoyable, uplifting, and educational read . . . just like playing D&D!”—R. A. Salvatore, author, Glacier’s Edge

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not familiar with the podcast Dragon Talk but was interested in learning more.

This book talks about the history of D&D and how it's evolved to the current state of D&D in pop culture and the game its self. It also talks about the history of the podcast and then each chapter is an interview or anecdote about a person who has been on the show. I imagine for fans a lot of this information may be duplicative, but it's an interesting read diving into the variety of people that play D&D and what it means to them.

Overall a nice find!

Welcome to Dragon Talk will be out on December 5, 2022. University of Iowa Press provided me an early galley for review.

I have been a Dungeons and Dragons player since 1982. So, I am always eager to read books that talk about one of my favorite tabletop roleplaying games. I'm also into watching videos about the game (even watching folks play on streams for hours on end) and even to listen to podcasts about the game. So, this book was right in my wheelhouse.

Even so, I learned a number things I did not know before - thanks to Shelly and Greg's experiences in the industry. I found their narrative approach to be open, friendly and approachable - as I have found with some episodes I have sampled. That made this a fast and fun read for me. They've been doing their podcast for nearly 400 episodes at this point (mostly weekly) so they've had a wide array of guests and topics covered over the years. This book highlights some of those and invites further exploration into their back catalog.

This is a fantastic book that shows the benefits and the positives that can come out of tabletop roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons.