Run for Your Life

Pub Date 03 Jan 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #RunforYourLife #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A moving and sensitive children’s book exploring a child's experience living in refugee accommodation in Ireland.

Azari’s life has been split in two and the halves are as different as lemons and mangoes. Running links the two parts of her life: sometimes when she runs it is because she wants to, because she feels strong and free. But sometimes it is because she has no other choice.

When Azari and her mother flee for their lives to Ireland they are put in a centre for asylum seekers. They must share a room with a stranger, eat food they don’t know the name of and answer intrusive questions from authorities. Azari's life has secrets. Will she ever be able to stop running?

Advance Praise

"It is a book which should make us all reflect on how we in more peaceful, prosperous and safe countries receive those seeking protection."

Immigrant Council of Ireland

Immigrant Council of Ireland

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781912417858

Send to Kindle (PDF)

"Run For Your Life" is a realistic fiction upper grade novel about a girl named Azari who is a refugee in Ireland. Azari and her mother flee for their lives and are on their own in a new country trying to navigate seeking asylum. The story moves between the past with Azari reliving memories which explain the reason for her leaving her home and the present which shares all the challenges Azari and her mother face together.

I would recommend this book for upper elementary and middle school. I started it and finished it in one sitting and was continually wondering thoroughout the story how it would end and what the background was for Azari and her mother. It was always a read just one more chapter kind of book, which ended up being just one more chapter until I finish it.

Run for Your Life is a chapter book that explores a young girl's life as a refugee in Ireland. I really appreciated the description of the refugee center where Azari and her mother life; the vivid details made me understand their experience better. It felt like Azari was holding everything together for herself and her mom; that strength was very present. I think this would be a great classroom read, to discuss the refugee experience told from a child's perspective.