Rare Trees

The Fascinating Stories of the World’s Most Threatened Species

Pub Date 25 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 25 Apr 2023

Talking about this book? Use #RareTrees #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Discover the Secrets and Beauty of the World’s Rarest Trees

Did you know that the resin of the dragon tree was so prized that it was used and traded as medicine by the Roman Empire? Or that the Bornean ironwood is one of the only timbers dense enough to sink in water? Trees have adapted to thrive on steep mountains, high in cloud forests, on dry savannahs, in parched deserts, and in tropical wetlands. Our own human history—and our future—are interwoven with the trees that define the character and environments of our green planet.

Rare Trees offers a stunning visual presentation of 60 of the most fascinating, bizarre, and threatened tree species on the planet, from conifers to magnolias to oaks. With color photographs showing trees and their most unusual features, maps of growing regions, callouts of memorable facts, and examples of poignant cultural and historical uses by Indigenous populations, Rare Trees will give everyone who loves trees an armchair tour of unique specimens from around the globe. You will be inspired to help preserve this critical canopy of life.
Discover the Secrets and Beauty of the World’s Rarest Trees

What if I told you there was a way to reverse climate change, clean our air, create homes for endangered animals and beautify our planet all contained in one package? Trees are the lungs of our planet, and yet we’re cutting them down left and right, paving over forests to make way for roads or clearing them for pasture. Oldfield looks specifically at 60 of the most endangered species of trees on our planet, capturing their plight in words and beautiful photographs. A gorgeous, vitally important book

Rare Trees: The Fascinating Stories of the World’s Most Threatened Species by Sara Oldfield and Malin Rivers is truly a fascinating book. The first section discusses conservation and different ecosystems trees survive in. The photos are phenomenal and I like how the book was laid out; it makes it a lot more interesting than reading a textbook.

Then the books shifts to trees and their uses. This section was probably my favorite. Some items I was aware that came from trees, but it was learning where and how they retrieved these items that was entertaining.

The final section looks at specific species around the world. There are detailed sections discussing the species.

When I first requested this book, I didn’t realize the number of pages. I thought it would more about just the conservation of trees, but then I reached the breakdown of species and realized this book was a lot more in-depth than I first thought. I enjoyed learning about the threats to certain species, but was thinking this book is not so much for casual reading (maybe for some yes, but not for me from start to finish). It seems more for research purposes or specific look ups.

Thanks Netgalley and Timber Press for this ARC. This might be a good consideration for our nonfiction section. Especially with the current push for sustainable development goals and since our school is in China, many of these trees are in the region.

A wonderful book that is perfect for any lover of these wise and majestic beings. With informative and interesting descriptions and beautiful photographs, this is a lovely hardcopy gift for yourself or a tree-loving friend.

5 Stars!

Thanks to Timber Press and NetGalley for my much-appreciated ARC.

This book was far more interesting and engaging than I expected it to be.

Chapter One discusses the different kinds of rainforests and the types of trees you might find in each one. I thought I had a decent understanding of the different kinds of forest ecosystems from my ecology classes but I still found a lot of new and interesting information in this chapter.

Chapter Two looks at the different uses for trees ranging from their medicinal uses to perfumes, food, timber, and even their ornamental and aesthetic uses. There were some uses that I was genuinely surprised by that have now left me with a greater interest in knowing just how trees, and plants in general, are used within industry.

Chaper Three was my favourite chapter. It's broken into the essential tree groups (ie Oak, Conifers, Palms etc) with each section showcasing several trees from that group.

The information in this book is comprehensive and concise and the accompanying photography is worthy of a coffee table book.

I especially appreciated the epilogue that had information on how the reader can help protect trees and their ecosystems.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for giving me a free digital copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: April 25, 2023

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. (FTC compliance met with this statement.) This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own, are not a result of compensation and may be affected by the fact that I currently have nothing better to do than read multiple books a day sitting at the nursing home with mom and dad or in front of the a.c.!!

SYNOPSIS
*****************
Discover the beauty—and importance—of the world's most threatened tree species.

Forests cover nearly a third of the world's surface, and the trees that make them up include a staggering diversity of more than 60,000 species. Individual trees play specific ecological roles in their unique environments—and they have adapted to thrive on steep mountains, in cloud forests, on dry savannahs, in parched deserts, and in tropical wetlands. Our history, and our future, are interwoven with the trees that define the regions of our green planet.

Rare Trees profiles over 60 unique species that are currently endangered—including the most charismatic, fascinating, and downright bizarre examples from all around the globe. Filled with hundreds of colour photographs, maps to help readers identify habitats, and accessible and engaging text by tree experts from the Global Trees Campaign, Rare Trees will give readers a new appreciation for the importance of trees and will inspire them to preserve this critical canopy of life.

This is such a beautiful book - if you are a tree hugger or not. (There is a commercial on VisionTV right now where a woman is actually hugging a tree!!!!!!!!) The stories behind them were informative and interesting and the photos were stunning. A great book for the nature lover in your life...a present that would be appreciated for years to come.

Exceptional read! Amazing photos! Plethora of facts on trees: their origins, their characteristics, their level of threat and much, much more.
A great gift idea or a gift to yourself to dress your coffee table.

Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for this e-ARC in exchange of my honest review.

As a tree lover, I was absolutely in awe with every page of this book!! I The science, the history, the photographs...it was all stunning! I loved the depth of detail shared l and I've been sharing what I've learned!
Thank you Net Galley for the advanced reader copy of this fascinating compilation!

An amazing reference and guide of rare trees that produce medicines, poisons, spices, and might even be present in your own garden. This book is great for nature lovers and world builders, looking to expand and diversify their worlds with different forests and greenery.

I was very excited to get an ARC of this book -- I love trees and was hoping for something that would have beautiful pictures and clear, concise information about the subject. This book is like an encyclopedia with National Geographic quality photos -- very informative and educational. I would recommend this to adults and children alike -- it will make a wonderful coffee table book. I was very impressed that there was a one-page list of recommended steps that readers could take to help trees at the end which even included reducing meat and dairy consumption! Gorgeous book - can't wait to see it in print.

A thorough reference book with gorgeous photos. This book provides a look at ways we can all contribute to the preservation of trees threatened predominantly by human activity and climate change.

What an extensive and rare work! This book is overwhelming in its scope. Strong images with details that takes the reader on a worldwide journey of the stresses and successful attempts to revitalize tree regions. Explore your own environment and discover what you can do to help. A must view.

This is honestly the saddest and most terrifying book I have ever read. And that´s because it makes you fully realize the scale of destruction we humans have done and continue doing to our surroundings.
This book is incredibly informative without being boring, which is very rare in non-fiction genre, especially when the reader has no background in the field whatsoever. It explains plainly why it´s important to save what we have left and the interactions between particular little systems, that most of us probably don't even know to exist and why they are vital to our existence. It tells stories about trees and shrubs I have never heard about. And how we go and kill everything on our path until we will effectively kill ourselves. Because we will.
This book is not as depressing as you might think thanks to my awesome review. It´s just that I happen to be oversensitive to nature matters and tend to shout at maintenance workers when they prune trees.
Anyway, trust me when I say you must read this book and share it with your family, friends, neighbours and donate at least a dozen to every school library on this planet. Seriously.

Beautiful Book!
For anyone that enjoys flipping through Coffeetable books that give them some Informations and beautiful Pictures!
Would make a stunning Gift, for others or yourself!

"Rare Trees" is an interesting description of trees and their unusual uses that we don't often hear about. Well-written in a slightly textbook style, the design of the book is modern with beautiful illustrations and colored sidebars. The book will hold your interest as its emphasis on conservation is important for everyone who cares about saving our planet and the many species that face extinction. It never ceases to astound me that humans are just now beginning to understand how very connected are all living things whether people, animals, plants, or tiny microbes that haven't even been discovered yet. Please read this book and donate a copy to your local library. Thank you.