Essex Dogs

Pub Date 15 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2022
Head of Zeus, Head of Zeus -- an Aries Book

Talking about this book? Use #EssexDogs #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Globally bestselling historian Dan Jones makes his historical fiction debut with Essex Dogs, the explosive first instalment in an epic new trilogy set during the Hundred Years' War.

July 1346. The Hundred Years' War has begun, and King Edward and his lords are on the march through France. But this war belongs to the men on the ground.

Swept up in the bloody chaos, a tight-knit company from Essex must stay alive long enough to see their home again. With sword, axe and longbow, the Essex Dogs will fight, from the landing beaches of Normandy to the bloodsoaked field of Crécy.

There's Pismire, small enough to infiltrate enemy camps. Scotsman, strong enough to tear down a wall. Millstone, a stonemason who'll do anything to protect his men. Father, a priest turned devilish by the horrors of war. Romford, a talented young archer on the run from his past. And Loveday FitzTalbot, their battle-scarred captain, who just wants to get his boys home safe.

Some men fight for glory. Others fight for coin. The Essex Dogs? They fight for each other.

Praise for Essex Dogs:

'A new champion has entered the front line of historical fiction to stand shoulder to shoulder with Bernard Cornwell' Jane Johnson
'Vital, earthy, and heart-stopping... So deft and funny that you'd never guess this is Dan Jones' debut work of fiction' Suzannah Lipscomb
'Few books manage to be as compelling on every level as Essex Dogs: it's adventure, history, and heart' Dana Schwartz
'Horribly compelling... Only Dan Jones can carry you through blood, piss and vomit and leave you wanting more' Daisy Dunn
'With a cast of unforgettable characters, written with irrepressible verve and historical accuracy, Dan Jones delivers a compelling novel that thrums with swordswinging energy' Simon Sebag Montefiore
'The battles that shaped Europe from the point of view of the soldiers... Searing' Kate Williams
'War. Looting. Junkies. Pintle-tugging. The English abroad. Dan Jones takes you to the year of Our Lord 1346' Tibor Fischer

July 1346. The...

PRICE £16.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I was lucky to receive an ARC of ‘Essex Dogs’ by Dan Jones from NetGalley, thank you!

King Edward III and his invasion force embark on a killing and pillaging tour of France in 1346.

Among the hell unleashed is a close-knit company of warriors known as ‘Essex Dogs’ who must fight for each other.

I thoroughly enjoyed!

Great characters set in a bloody time and place brought to life.

The locations were vividly word-painted, managing to weave many historical details into the fabric of the story without it ever getting in the way.

The ‘Dogs’ were a great crew of eclectic characters recruited from every corner of Britain. Each have their own secrets, backstories, quirks and skills that fleshed them out into killers with heart and soul instead of mindless machines.

It opens with a medieval ‘Private Ryan’ scene and doesn’t stop from there. It’s a harsh and bloody business and each step of the way was intriguing. I’m not the biggest Kindle fan, but this kept me reading until I finished 😄

As the English army murder, rape and pillage like a black wave destroying everything in its path, the ‘Dogs’, despite their many years of spilling blood and thievery together, feel a little long in the tooth for the events surrounding them and the trouble that comes their way.

The side characters are excellently done and there’s plenty of action to be found, but I was more impressed with how much I cared for the ‘Dogs’, making me eager to read book 2 of this planned trilogy of adventures.

⚔️

If you enjoy reading Angus Donald, Bernard Cornwell, James Wilde or Robert Low’s ‘Oathsworn Series’ then you’ll dig this 👍

What a rip roaring, gripping, and fast paced adventure.
I've always enjoyed Dan Jones' history books because of his skill for writing captivating, transporting prose, and those talents are on full display here.
Somewhere between Saving Private Ryan, Henry IV and Band of Brothers - a tour de force and a brilliantly exciting start to a series

I knew nothing about this book until I scrolled past its incredible cover on NetGalley. Within a few hours I had immersed myself in the Hundred Years War and the story of the Essex Dogs. And what a story it is.

It may seem cliched, but Dan Jones has burst onto the fiction scene like Bernard Cornwell reborn. This tale is gritty and humorous, thoughtful and exciting. All the hallmarks of historical fiction at its best.

I loved the group of men who call themselves the Essex Dogs, and Jones cleverly drops hints about their past into the narrative, a sure way to draw readers back into any future books, with the potential for both sequals and prequals.

One stand out point in this book is the portrayal of Edward, the Black Prince. Hes normally portrayed as an almost mythical figure, a war leader to inspire thousands. Jones, a noted historian in his own right, presents a snivelling whelp of a prince, which was a joy to read.

I cant wait for book 2.

A wonderful story of a group of freebooters during Edward 111’s invasion of France at the start of the 100 years war. Real and fictional characters and events are all skilfully intertwined with violent battle scenes graphically described. The Black Prince is described not as the heroic character I’ve always assumed him to be but as a whining teenager while the heroes of the piece are the gritty soldiers known as the Essex Dogs. It all builds towards the battle of Crecy at the climax too this stupendous yarn. One hopes that another chapter is too come for these fascinating men.

Swept up in the bloody chaos, a tight-knit company from Essex must stay alive long enough to see their home again. With sword, mace and longbow, the Essex Dogs will fight, from the landing beaches of Normandy to the bloodsoaked field of Crécy.
There's Pismire, small enough to infiltrate enemy camps. Scotsman, strong enough to tear down a wall. Millstone, a stonemason who'll do anything to protect his men. Father, a priest turned devilish by the horrors of war. Romford, a talented young archer on the run from his past. And Loveday Fitztalbot, their battle-scarred captain, who just wants to get his boys home safe.

Dan Jones is one of my top favourite historical authors so “Essex Dogs” was a hugely anticipated release for me. I was delighted to be granted an ARC. This novel is Dans historical fiction debut novel, and is to be part of a trilogy of the same name.

I loved this book - I am already anxious to get my hands on the next book of this series. Dan Jones is an amazing writer, so it’s no surprise that his fiction work is as good as his non fiction work, all of which I’ve read. His character portrayal is fantastic and he just writes history so damn well. Fast paced, thrilling, I literally ate this book up. There really is nothing negative to say about this book. The characters, the setting of a bloody and violent period in time, the atmosphere, the pacing - I cannot fault it. If you are familiar with Dans non fiction work, you will appreciate this book. I’d highly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys history, historical fiction and well written books. I’m already Jonesing for book two (see what I did there?).

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc in exchange for an unbiased review.

Dan Brown has written a gripping, fast-moving novel about the invasion of France by Edward III and his son the Black Prince, climaxing in the Battle of Crecy.

The Essex Dogs are a motley selection of disparate soldiers thrown together to fight an overseas war, for a cause that they don't really understand or care about. Their only aim is to survive the campaign, steel & trade war booty along the way, and eventually collect their promised pay. The characters are all well-rounded and have various fascinating personality flaws as well as some caring traits for their comrades in arms.

The battle scenes, as expected, are quite gory and explicit. The language used by the soldiers (including knights) may offend some readers, but I found it added spice and realism to the story. Soldiers throughout the centuries, up to the present day, use barrack-room language with each other. without ever getting offended.

To summarise, I cannot praise this book highly enough and look forward to exploring some of Brown’s other historical novels.

Amazing book, gripping, well written, amazing characters.

The story is non-stop from start to finish, the interactions between the team are enjoyable.

Read this book!

Thanks to Head of Zeus and Netgalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this great book.

Set during the Hundred years' War, this first tale of the 'Essex Dogs' involves King Edward III's incursion into France.in 1346, culminating in the battle of Crecy.

It's a great story of visceral battles and violent action, but also of the bonds of comradeship, and the love of brothers.

The book contains lots of very well drawn characters, each of the Dogs is very distinct, but my favourite was the Earl of Northampton, whose creative cursing is a real highlight, and laugh out loud funny.

Easily as good as Bernard Cornwell, a real joy. Can't wait for further adventures.

Five stars from me, highly recommended.

I find history so fascinating and I adore historical fiction and this one didn't disappoint, you can see how much the author has a passion for history and fantastically fuses together historical realism with fiction. Dan Jones debut into the fictional world brings to life a period in real life history through the lives of well developed fictional characters. I enjoyed seeing the story through the eyes of the Essex Dogs and all the side characters, discovering their backgrounds and their own individualities. You can really sense the brotherliness between the Essex Dogs and that bond is the driving force through this brutally savage journey. The interactions and dialogues are quite engaging, the author doesn't shy away from the odd wisecrack, plenty of potty mouth and evocative bloodshed.
Overall a great introduction to what I believe will be a fantastic trilogy. I can feel myself starting to care for these characters and the plot has me intrigued enough to wish the 2nd instalment was out now! Though I have a feeling that no character is safe and this war will be bloody gory!

If you like Bernard Cornwall or Patrick O’Brien then you will love this fast paced swashbuckling book.. Dan Jones cannot only write factual history book but factual fiction too. I look forward to his next book.