The Risen City

A Novel

Pub Date 20 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 06 Dec 2022

The powerful finale of the Paths of Lantistyne series, which returns us to a continent in the midst of an epic battle for salvation.

Imperator Elgar’s dire strategy for conquering the continent has finally been laid bare, and those who would stop him must prepare to make their final stand. The surviving rogues of the Dragon’s Head are split in two: half help dismantle Elgar’s plot from the shadows of their home city, while the rest chase down rumors and revolts in the east. Valyanrend’s rebels and thieves have made common cause for the first time in centuries, but they form only half of the resistance necessary to challenge the imperator. For the other half, they must look to the continent’s remaining royals for a foreign army.

Unfortunately, most of Lantistyne’s royals have seen better days. King Kelken is imprisoned in Araveil, at the mercy of the brutal Administrator Selwyn. And Arianrod Margraine, the brilliant marquise of Esthrades, left her own country open to invasion when she helped save neighboring Issamira from falling into ruin. Now Issamira and Queen Adora, long neutral in this conflict, must take up the burden of war.

Adora has reclaimed her crown and found her conviction, but fights to keep her army on a just path amidst the violence she abhors. Together, she and Arianrod have already toppled one power-hungry usurper, but the two of them are separated when a reckless sacrifice puts the marquise’s life in jeopardy. And the ancient spirits of Lantistyne, whose subtle machinations helped Adora survive to gain her throne, are ready to make their will known at last.

The Risen City is another example of Steiger's powerful writing, full of intricate characters and complex world-building.

Imperator Elgar’s dire strategy for conquering the continent has...

PAGES 512

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I'm really sad that this wonderful series is ending, but this book was really well done with wonderfully done characters. Isabelle Steiger has a great writing style and she knows how to write a good scifi and fantasy novel. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Steiger as the Paths of Lantistyne series was really well done.

"But she could be impossibly stubborn the moment she felt something was a matter of morality, and her complete lack of care for her own safety made her a constant danger to herself, no matter how talented she might be. At least she was infinitely preferable to her brother. He was handsome in a boring sort of way and surprisingly good at cooking"

This was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful trilogy! I really enjoyed all the subplots and getting to reacquaint myself with all the different characters.

Character development was fairly strong, Isabelle Steiger does a wonderful job ensuring that the characters each have a distinct personality and motivation. My one criticism is that there are so many characters it really was hard to keep track of who was where and doing what. There was a character list and summary at the beginning of the book, and I was grateful to have that reference.

The world building is wonderful - descriptions and each country's history keep the reader in the world

Thank you to the author and NetGalley for this ARC in return for an honest review.

I haven't finished reading so I don't know if the author sticks the landing yet, but am giving five stars on the basis of the previous two books. I'm sorry this trilogy hasn't gotten more attention from fantasy readers, because it deserves to be much better known than it seems to be! I suspect the reason for that is a combination of not being published by a genre imprint, never being released in trade paperback (as a reader, I know I wouldn't personally buy a new-to-me series with little to no word of mouth around it in hardcover more than six years after it first came out), and the 2-3 year gaps between installments. Regardless, I loved the first two and assuming the series ends strong I will definitely keep recommending it to readers, especially fans of Samantha Shannon's THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE and similar titles.

I have been provided with a review copy of The Risen City from NetGalley for an impartial review. This is the third book in the brand-new Paths of Lantistyne series and I just loved getting to reenter this amazing world. I just really enjoyed this story and I just didn’t want it to end. I just lost myself in and I just couldn’t get enough of these interesting characters. I can’t wait to see what’s next from this author.