Scions

a Starcrossed novel

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 11 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Scionsnovel #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The dazzling prequel to the Starcrossed series, the #1 international bestselling trilogy by Josephine Angelini. Perfect for fans of Tracy Wolff and Jennifer L. Armentrout.

New York City, 1993. It wasn’t Daphne’s choice to move into the heart of a struggle that has been secretly waging for thirty-three hundred years, but not much in her life has been up to her. Fate has brought Daphne, daughter of Zeus, and Heir to the House of Atreus to where the descendants of the Greek gods can shed blood over her once again.

Men are fated to kill for her.

But New York holds a surprise for Daphne and her cursed face—the same one that once launched a thousand ships. A series of murals painted all over town mysteriously pull at her in ways she can't understand. That’s because the artist is Ajax Delos, Son of Apollo, Scion of the House of Thebes, and Daphne’s mortal enemy.

She found the one worth dying for.

With the Fates manipulating them like pieces on a chessboard, Daphne and Ajax must find a way to break the cycle of destruction set in motion by their ancestors before the walls of Troy, or risk becoming yet another pair of star-crossed lovers doomed to repeat the same fatal mistakes.

New York City, 1993. It...

A Note From the Publisher

Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter.

Advance Praise

"This delightful (delicious!) 90's throwback will reunite fans of the Starcrossed series with some of their favorite Scions and pave the way for new readers to discover the fantastic world that launched Angelini onto the literary scene with her popular debut. A semi-historical with sassy demigods, and a secret world on the brink of war, Scions has everything teen readers could want." -- Aprilynne Pike, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Wings series

"Exciting, ambitious, and with characters you will absolutely fall in love with. This page-turner is Josephine Angelini's best yet!" -— Beth Revis, New York Times bestselling author of Across the Universe

"It was such a treat to return to the world of Starcrossed—a world of feuding demigods, forbidden love, and epic drama. Josephine Angelini’s series gives the Trojan War a captivating makeover for the modern age.” -- Katharine McGee, New York Times bestselling author of American Royals

"Electrifying, action-packed story-telling with sworn enemies to lovers, Greek Gods, and an ending that’s going to have you reaching for the next book. Buckle-up, y’all. This is a definite must-read!" -- Aileen Erin, USA Today bestselling author of the Alpha Girl series

“This binge read will give you all the feels. An epic romance that captured my heart and kept me glued to the page from the start.” -- Amy Plum, international bestselling author of Die For Me

"This delightful (delicious!) 90's throwback will reunite fans of the Starcrossed series with some of their favorite Scions and pave the way for new readers to discover the fantastic world that...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I'm really glad that I was able to go back to the Starcrossed series, it was great that I was able to read the adventures of Daphne. It's been a while since I was able to go to this world, it was great to see how Josephine Angelini has improved from the first book. The relationship in the book was really well done. I can't wait to go back to this world in the next new book.

“It’s a blue diamond,” he tells me. “A rare one. Like you.” He thinks I’m a blue diamond, I say silently to myself. I almost laugh, but again, he’s really nervous and trying so hard, so I smile at him and put it on."

5 stars

Thank you Netgalley for giving me this arc! So, I haven't read anything by Josephine Angelini before but after reading this (prequel to her series books) I'm 100%
encouraged to read her other books!! It was thrilling and the characters really caught my attention. Would definitely recommend to everyone when this book come out- you won't want to miss it!!

This book was such a fun read! I was in a reading slump and this book really got me out of it. I flew through this book in one afternoon and I am so sad it is over. I will be looking out for this author in the future and will be recommending this book to all of my family and friends.

Honestly, I did not think I could fall in love with this world any more than I already have but JA has proved me wrong! I was so excited when I found out she was releasing a prequel series, and especially because the first book is about Daphne and she was easily the most intriguing character from the original trilogy.

I adore Greek mythology and the way JA has woven the myths into her own stunning tale is gripping to read. This book follows Daphne as she struggles to cope with being The Face and eventually meets Ajax and falls in love. There were so many little drops and hints about the original trilogy, and although the ending was in no way whatsoever what I expected, I am absolutely desperate to read the sequel ASAP!

I adored this book. Truly epic storytelling with a romance that totally captured me. I love novels with elements of Greek mythology and this was incredibly well done, fast paced and well written. I understand this is a prequel to the Starcrossed series which I will most definitely be reading next. Overall an absorbing and thrilling read - 100% recommend.

Thank you to Net Galley and Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op for providing an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

When I was an undergraduate, I was so inspired by the use of Helen in Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed Trilogy that I wrote an entire 70 page thesis on it. So, going into Scions, which is a prequel to that trilogy, after nearly 10 years, there was a very high bar already set.

While this book is not perfect--for instance, I would have liked to see the few BIPOC characters have more of their own storylines, versus being mostly included to support or motivate white Scion characters--Scions lives up to a very high bar. I manages to tell a story to which readers of the original series already know the ending, while maintaining the same level of engagement in the story as I had with the original series. It also illustrates more than the original series did how serious the curse of bearing the world's most beautiful Face can be by showing Daphne's struggles with having friends, being stared at and stalked on the street, and even maintaining her relationship with her human family members.

Many of the scenes in this book created beautifully vivid images for me, thanks to Ajax's artistic inclinations, and the inclusion of street art added a very personal aspect to Ajax and Daphne's blossoming connection. I was also pleasantly surprised at a certain cameo appearance, and I look forward to how this story will continue to play out in the next book and to continuing to get the backstories of the many players in the Scion world of the generation before Helen and Lucas. I especially hope we see more of Harlow and get Castor and Noel's story in future books!

Overall, if you loved the original Starcrossed series, this book will not disappoint, but it is also an accessible entry point to readers who are new to Josephine Angelini's world of demigods and monsters. Be sure to read the excerpt of the next book included at the end, as it left me with tons of questions and very intrigued to read the next book in the series.

I loved the original star crossed series and my mum has just started to read it too! Scions lives up to a very high bar. It manages to tell a story that readers of the original series already know the ending, while maintaining the same level of engagement in the story as I had with the original series. I seem to always love novels with elements of Greek mythology and this was incredibly well done, fast paced and well written but really I don’t think I expected anything less from Josephine Angelini!

This book has made me want to reread the trilogy again! I also need a physical copy now.

5 Stars ⭐️

My FIRST Starcrossed book and I can assure you that it most definitely won't be the last. I was honestly skeptical about requesting it but when I saw it was the prequel, I said screw it and went ahead with it.

I am honesty THRILLED to be one of the selected few who have read an ARC of this book because it is honestly fantastic.
I adored the world-building, the mythology, the plot, the characters, the scenes, just EVERYTHING I CANNOT EVEN WOW.

It was just straight-up amazing, not gonna lie. Now I'm planning to go read the rest of the series just because I can. Amen.

I had never read any book by Josephine Angelini before and let me tell you that was a BIG mistake, after I finished reading I did a little research and found out that this is actually a prequel and I have come to a decision. IT SHOULD BE A SERIES. The romance was everything I needed, Daphne’s and Ajax were soooo cute and Tantalus was a very interesting side character, I have some questions about the ending, but I am going to read the original series to answer them. This book was just amazing. The world building is outstanding and I would love to read anything like this again.

I thoroughly enjoyed Angelini's Starcrossed trilogy and was thrilled to see that there was a new book being released which is a prequel to the series. Scions follows Daphne and Ajaxs story. You see what Daphne had to endure and what her life is like having the cursed face. Daphne and Ajax are star crossed lovers who are determined to break the curse set by their ancestors.

It was great to be back in this world and see Daphnes story. I liked seeing Daphne and Ajax and seeing them work to break the curse. I also enjoyed seeing Daphne and the friendship she forms with Harlow. I also really enjoyed seeing some characters that were in the previous series.

This was a fun, quick read that I really enjoyed. The ending is fast paced and leaves me eager for the next book in the series.

Thank you NetGalley for a chance to read Scions.

This book is so good I feel blessed I got to read this. From the first sentence I literally couldn’t put this book down. I was so invested in the characters, the plot, and the relationships, the author just draws you into the world. The was actually the first book I have read by this author (I have been meaning to read Starcrossed forever) and after reading this, I have already bought her entire Starcrossed series because I know I will love it. I really loved the friendship with Harlow and Daphne and the spin-off Helen of Troy retelling. Cannot recommend this enough.

Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read the ARC for Scions! I read The Starcrossed series when it came out ten years ago, and loved it. When I saw Josephine Angelini was planning to extend the series, I was thrilled.

First, let me say the cover is gorgeous! I can’t wait to buy a physical copy so I can display it on my bookshelf. Now you don’t have to read The Starcrossed series to understand the plot of Scions, but since I’m a huge fan of the original series, I would recommend reading it. Scions is the prequel to The Starcrossed series. It follows Daphne, daughter of Zeus, from the House of Atreus. (Daphne is Helen’s mother from The Starcrossed series.) Daphne is struggling in this book, dealing with being The Face, and all the attention that it brings. She ends up meeting Ajax who is from the House of Thebes and that’s where things get tricky. Because of the Curse, they instinctively want to kill each other. Scions was a fun read and really enjoyed it! I can’t wait to read the second book once it’s out!

Interesting read. I want to read the rest of the series for context. I wish I knew a little bit more about mythology to better understand the story but overall great book! Thanks NetGalley!

I enjoyed this book. The plot was paced appropriately and the characters were well developed. I would recommend this book to others.

Ok so I somehow missed that this is book number 4 in a series when I requested and started reading this book - BUT I was able to jump right in and dive into this world and follow along no problems. I cannot believe I missed the first three in this series, but I am going straight out and looking for those asap! I so enjoyed this book - the enemies to lovers trope - a little bit of the Romeo and Juliet vibes sprinkled in with the Greek mythology. SO SO GOOD!

Thank you NetGalley for this read!

I loved every single minute of reading this book! It kept me interested the whole time, I just didn’t want to put it down! It brings up some difficult situations and they are written so well! The romance aspect is just perfect and I loved seeing the relationship blossom between the main characters! What a beautiful read and I can’t wait to read the rest!

I cannot even begin to express how amazing it was to be back in the Starcrossed world after all this time. It was just over ten years ago that I read the first book in the series and now to see how the story actually began was priceless.

In this book, we go back in time to Daphne’s teenage years where she met Ajax. As the Fates try their hardest to make them kill each other, love has other ideas. It was great to read Daphne’s back story and to find out why she made the choices she did( giving you an excellent starting point for Helen’s story in Starcrossed.

This book has a fantastic array of characters. Who could not love the Delos family after reading this? The author tantalises the reader with romance before throwing you off guard with fight scenes. On top of that she throws in an unexpected blast from the past, or should I say the future.

Set in New York, the author brought my favourite place to life and I actually felt like I was running through Central Park with the characters.

This prequel shows Josephine Angelini is back with a vengeance in the world she creates the best. If you love Greek mythology set in a contemporar setting, you need to read the Starcrossed series. No one does Greek myths quite like Josephine Angelini. I actually wish I’d reread the previous three books before reading this prequel. At least I now have a good excuse to reread them.

Thank you to @netgalley & @josephine_angelini for this review copy.

I have not read the starcrossed series that this book is a prequel too, however after reading thi book, I definitely will be. A really enjoyable read that is well writtenwith a compelling storyline.

“𝘍𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵’𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘐’𝘮 𝘢𝘧𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘥. 𝘐𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘐’𝘷𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦.”

I’m a sucker for Greek mythology retellings, especially when tropes such as “I love you but we can never be together” and “I’ll burn the whole damn world down for you” are prevalent in the book. Scions by Josephine Angelini gives you exactly that.

Men are fated to kill for her. But New York holds a surprise for Daphne and her cursed face—the same one that once launched a thousand ships. A series of murals painted all over town mysteriously pull at her in ways she can’t understand. That’s because the artist is Ajax Delos, Son of Apollo, Scion of the House of Thebes, and Daphne’s mortal enemy.

As soon as I read the description of this book, I immediately requested it from #netgalley because I knew it was going to be one of my favorite books — and my intuition was right. This is one of my absolute favorite Greek myth retellings of Apollo and Daphne, except this is a spin on their descendants.

Daphne is a fighter, and sure as hell won’t back down to any man. She trains consistently with her guardian in order to be the strongest in her house. Because having a pretty, seductive face shouldn’t equate to a woman not being lethal or skilled in battle, right? But when Daphne’s nightly rendezvous ends up with her facing her mortal enemy, Ajax the son of Apollo, everything in her brain goes haywire. She doesn’t know if she wants to k.i.ll him due to a generational curse, or let the lusty haze run it’s course, so naturally she plays both of these emotions.

Ajax is the perfect golden boy. Literally, he reminded me of the “golden retriever boyfriend” the whole time, so I obviously fell in love with his character. He may not be as skilled or strong as Daphne when it comes to battle talent, but the way he will drop everything for her and do anything to protect her makes up for it.

I absolutely loved this book, and if you like Greek retellings with forbidden lust and enemies to lovers, you’re going to fall in love with this book just as I have. Josephine Angelini is at the top of my favorite authors list now, and I can’t wait to buy more of her books.

Scions releases October 4th later this year, make sure to pre-order your copy and fall in love with Daphne and Apollo, just as I have.

I was so excited when I saw that there was a new starcrossed novel, Starcrossed is one of my all time favourite books. I was slightly apprehensive about it being a prequel, for me prequels can be a bit hit or miss, you already know a rough idea of how the story is going to go so really need something extra to the story to make it interesting. This book had all I hoped for and loads more! The writing style was slightly different from the Starcrossed novels which was good, it definitely felt like you were reading another persons voice and considering I hadn’t liked Daphne in the previous novels, I really enjoyed getting an insight into her perspective.

This was a great prequel! It definitely fits with the star crossed series. It was a quick and easy read with an engaging plot, great characters and a great ending. I was in quite a big slump and this book got me out of it. Overall, a very enjoyable book that I would definitely recommend and re read. And I’ll definitely be buying a physical copy when I have the chance!

The story and author are new to me, but I have to say I loved this book
This book is a prequel to the authors previously published Starcrossed trilogy series

You absolutely do not need to read the series before reading this book, but you will want to read it after reading this one

It is Greek mythology at is best. The book is the story of Daphne, the daughter of Zeus. I was totally engrossed in this book.

I am so looking forward to reading the whole series and will be going back to read the Starcrossed trilogy.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me an advance copy of this book in return for my honest opinion.

Thank you to Netgalley and publishers for this eARC of Scions

As soon as I read the blurb for Scions I knew it was going to be an epic read.
Daphne the secret demi god with the face that launched a thousand ships and Ajax the demi god from a rival house destined to kill each other.
I loved the story of these two, the effort put into creating the characters and making each their own was perfect.
We all know the Greek mythology and it was a refreshing take on it, creating a unique story with twists and turns.
All the characters I felt were essential to the storyline, though I felt the character Antigone could have featured more to make her more tangable to the plot.
The world building and the history that went into the story was great and though I've not read any of the previous 3 books i didn't feel like I needed to. To be honest I only found out it was a series when I went looking on Amazon.
I highly recommend this novel.

The star crossed series still remains one of my favourite series to this day. So when I received an ARC of Scions I was over the moon.

This book has the same nostalgia of the original three star crossed books but focuses on Daphne, Helen’s mum. It tells the tale of her learning to live with “the face” and how she ultimately comes to fall in love with a member of another house.

This book just ticked all the boxes for me and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Loved it! I was obsessed with the original trilogy and I’m so happy it’s continuing, it was great to learn about Daphne and I’m very intrigued by the ending

This book is a beautiful romance and I absolutely loved reading Daphne’s story. This is the perfect prequel which gives more insight into the Scions world.
This book is well written and the characters are really well developed.
I definitely recommend this book if you love this series.

Thank you to Netgalley for this early eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Man, I enjoyed reading these books so much! I've read the originals a few times now, but it's been a while, and now with Scions coming out, I had to do a reread! I had such a great time being back in this world with these characters!

I remembered a few things, like who the betrayer was, that having the Furies forget might not be the best thing, and Helen and Lucas weren't cousins, and that she won against Zeus, but I forgot the particulars. Which is why a reread is so great!

Knowing the synopsis for Timeless now, there's two things that I'm on the lookout for-that Lucas has his bargain with Hades (he really should've worded it different, like that they take turns or something, not that someone always has it.) And that Zeus is still a problem. Though there still is Helen's favors that she owes Hecate...

Absolutely loved reading Scions. Daphne is a hard character for me, she did some really terrible stuff because of her love for Ajax. But this was the story of her falling in love. It was really great to see the politics of the time, that built up the histories of characters that we met in the first 3 books. And that ending! I can't wait for more! Timeless is going to deal with this, I'm pretty sure, and it's going to be so great!

These were all such great reads, and I can't wait to see where Timeless goes!

I never really liked Daphne in the original trilogy so I was pleasently surprised by this book. I can see the trauma that she had to go through to make her the person she is in the starcrossed trilogy. The book filled in so many gaps to the story that was missing before and I can safely say that it has renewed my love for the Scion world. I have already preordered book 5 in the series!

<i> Tell me your favorite color, and I'll paint the sky with it, </i>

Romeo&Juliet, but make it greek-myth infused!
I. just. love. it.

I have to be honest, I never read the Starcrossed trilogy before but I heard Scions was like a prequel so I jumped right in and... I adore it! I love the settings, the rivalling families, the yearning!!! and of course the angsty romance. I love the Greek myth references and the poetic writing style.

Overall it was such a great read and I can't wait to read the trilogy and Timeless soon!