Girlcrush

The debut novel from the bestselling author of Women Don't Owe You Pretty

Pub Date 09 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2022
Mobius, Brazen

Talking about this book? Use #Girlcrush #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

GIRLCRUSH is a dark feminist retelling of Jekyll & Hyde by bestselling author Florence Given.

The distance between her online and offline self grows further and further apart until something dark happens that leads her into total self-destruction, forcing Eartha to make a choice; which version of herself should she kill off?

Advance Praise

'Dark, funny and wild. A riotous trip down the rabbit hole into a world where lives are lived and lost online' - Chloe Ashby, author of WET PAINT

Marketing Plan

•     National media campaign including television, print, radio and online coverage
  •     ARC distribution campaign
  •     Digital marketing/publicity campaign
  •     Review campaign targeting media, Amazon and Goodreads reviewers
  •     Social media outreach
  •     ARC distribution campaign
  •     Digital marketing/publicity campaign
  • Review campaign targeting media, Amazon and...

ISBN 9781914240522
PRICE £16.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I could not put this book down, I read it in 2 days.

As a queer woman in a relationship with a man, the commentary surrounding bi-erasure in the queer community within the book was both affirming and heartbreaking to read about. Eartha lives through the journey of a queer person coming out later in life - the realization, the coming out, the joy of accepting oneself fully and then the biphobia that is very relevant to discourse today. This book is a phenomenal social commentary on the queer experience, social media, its impact on mental health, and how media conglomerates control our collective online existence,

It was also very affirming to read a book that had a non-binary character that didn't have a big moment where they have to profess their identity, The reader simply discovers that Rose uses they/them pronouns.

Eartha was a relatable protagonist, her journey through discovering her queerness was rooted in reality, I found the writing to be very fresh, the pacing made this book a page turner. I am unsure still if I wholeheartedly believe this opinion - that I would have liked to see a resolution between Eartha and her friends and family. While on one hand it would have provided a conclusive ending, on the other hand, it reflects how life works sometimes, mistakes are made and there is no resolution and I am torn between admiration and critique.

As this was a ARC, I can not wait to add a physical copy to my bookshelf and return to it soon.

This book is an emotional rollercoaster.

Told through a unique combination of first person narration, online "postings," and director-of-a-scene bird's eye view, this book tells the tale of a nobody to somebody: Eartha.

After experiencing an eye opening event, she begins the journey of an online influencer. At first things are great... until they are not.

I started and finished this work in one sitting, wanting desperately to know what would happen to Eartha as she navigated her own sexuality and interaction with the world with so many eyes on her every move. Would recommend for fans of reality tv.

[Graciously received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

5* such a great read!

"In Given's debut novel, we follow Eartha on a wild, weird and seductive modern-day exploration as she commences life as an openly bisexual woman whilst also becoming a viral sensation on Wonderland, a social media app where people project their dream selves online."

This book reminded me a bit of The Circle by Dave Eggers. Kind of its queer sequel about modern times in social media. In the book we follow along on Eartha's journey to become a well-known influencer, having someone represent her and living her best life. Until it becomes apparent that being "someone" on social media also comes at a price. The book takes some turns and has some really interesting plot twists, showing the down sides of living your life completely online. What I also liked is that one of Rosa's best friends is a non-binary character, without any introduction they/them pronouns are used for them throughout the entire book. I love how this is normalized in the book without question. Would highly recommend reading this book!

This book is such a rollercoaster and I can't wait to buy a physical copy asap!

I started this book thinking it would be a story about a girl who realises she is bisexual and would begin exploring the world of dating women and stumble upon some Internet fame. Whilst all of this did happen, I think that my attempting to summarise what happened in Girl Crush would do the book a massive disservice.

Eartha is a character that you cannot help root for. Watching her rise to fame and then struggle with the pressure was heartbreaking, particularly the ending. I wanted everything to work out but in a way, I'm happy it didn't because that really brought the message of the book forward.

The side characters in the book were also amazing, particularly Rose, I think they were my favourite. They were the grounding force that Eartha needed.