Frankly Feminist

Short Stories by Jewish Women from Lilith Magazine

Pub Date 06 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 06 Oct 2022
Brandeis University Press, HBI Series on Jewish Women

Talking about this book? Use #FranklyFeminist #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A groundbreaking Jewish feminist short story collection.

Frankly Feminist, the first-ever anthology from Lilith magazine, is a unique amalgam of fine writing and activism that comes right out of Jewish women’s lives today: transgressive loves, deepening connections, political turmoil, abortion, fear of loss, struggles with fertility, with body and soul, with finding community, with decoding family life.
These fictions offer variegated cultures, contexts and points of view: Persian Jews; a Biblical matriarch; an Ethiopian mother in modern Israel; suburban American teens; Eastern European academics; a sexual questioner; a Jew by choice; a new immigrant escaping her Lower East Side sweatshop; a Black Jewish marcher for justice; a toddler’s mother hiding out in Vichy France; and more.
Some of these 44 authors are bestsellers; others are emerging talents with ages ranging from their 20s to their 80s. The characters they create reveal themselves by choices of pastimes and partners; by their causes and their passions, by what they say and what they signal. And the voices in Frankly Feminist have plenty to say about how we live now. They are neither meek nor decorous. They speak with anger and humor, tenderness and rue, self-recrimination and howls of victory.
A groundbreaking Jewish feminist short story collection.

Marketing Plan

Review campaign targeting media, Amazon and Goodreads reviewers

Social...

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I love the diversity, each author had her own way of telling a story and it was interesting, I appreciated the variety !

This anthology introduced me to a variety of feminist Jewish writers who I had never been exposed to before. I am excited to dig deeper and discover more of their work. Thanks for letting me check it out!

Frankly Feminist explores Jewish feminism through publications in Lilith Magazine. I think this book does an amazing job of showing the rich diversity within Judaism. It destroys the misconception that it’s a monolith. There’s diversity pouring through this book. A refreshing, delightful read.