Santa Maybe

An absolutely hilarious and feel-good romantic comedy

Pub Date 13 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 13 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SantaMaybe #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It's going to be a holly jolly Christmas...

Toy Store owner Elodie Martin is not one to get into the festive spirit but nothing gets her fired up more than the chance to get one over on her nemesis, Callum Ashley – the frosty, infuriatingly handsome owner of the local department store.

Christmas is the only time she can compete thanks to her grandad Jim, everyone's favourite Santa Claus. But when he has to unexpectedly hang up his red suit, Elodie is at risk of losing the business for good and has no choice but to rely on last-minute replacement out-of-work actor Nick Winter.

Can a sprinkling of Christmas magic warm Callum's heart and help Elodie find her happily-ever-after? Or is it just possible that love is to be found a little bit closer to home?

Perfect for fans of Mhairi McFarlane, Kristen Bailey and Beth O'Leary.

Readers love Santa Maybe!:
'Wonderful Christmas book... filled with so much love, warmth and Christmas spirit. Wonderful' NetGalley Reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
'Really enjoyable read, totally recommend, read in one sitting' NetGalley Reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
'I have never read a Mary Jayne Baker book I didn't love... A fun book which I enjoyed reading, whatever the season' NetGalley Reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
'Brilliant from the first page... A charming tale that will be perfect for cosying up with during the winter season' NetGalley Reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐
'Omg, this was the Christmas book father of all Christmas books... I absolutely loved this book' NetGalley Reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐

It's going to be a holly jolly Christmas...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £2.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Toy Store owner Elodie Martin is not one to get into the festive spirit but nothing gets her fired up more than the chance to get one over on her nemesis, Callum Ashley the frosty, infuriatingly handsome owner of the local department store.
Christmas is the only time she can compete thanks to her grandad Jim, everyone's favourite Santa Claus. But when he has to unexpectedly hang up his red suit, Elodie is at risk of losing the business for good and has no choice but to rely on last minute replacement out of work actor Nick Winter.
Really enjoyable read totally recommend read in one sitting
I just reviewed Santa Maybe by Mary Jayne Baker. #SantaMaybe #NetGalley

Omg, this was the Christmas book father of all Christmas books.

I absolutely loved this book. I love that it's based around tap businesses that both have Santa grottos. Elodie has to find a new one for Christmas coming because her famous pops has retired from it and Callum has to have the best of everything even beating Elodie's award-winning Santa by finding the best in town.
Elodie and Nick are my absolute favorites. Nick is trained up to be this year's Martins Santa. But both men soon set their eyes on Elodie. May the best man win.

The cutest Christmas book ever. I love that it was based on grotto Santas and the trope best friend to lover and enemy to lover.
4 stars.

This is such a wonderful Christmas book. You should really add it to your Christmas book list to read this year. Because it is filled with so much love, warmth and Christmas spirit. Wonderful.

Santa Maybe by Mary Jayne Baker is such a wonderful Christmas read, and I highly recommend that you read this book

Brilliant from the first page.

And so many themes going on as the story progresses.

From unrequited love and enemies to lovers, there is a little bit of something for every reader to enjoy.

Our main protagonist is Elodie Martin.

She is a woman that's known hardship. Losing her parents at a young age and being bought up by her grandparents. Her heart has hardened a little over the years and after losing her Nan only recently, even her Christmas spirit has started to dwindle.

The final nail in the coffin, when her Grandad decides to retire from being Santa Claus at their family run toy store.

And then Nick comes into her life.

With some big shoes (boots) to fill, could he be not only the magical replacement Santa needed to keep the business afloat, but also the reason to make Elodie believe in the enchantment of Christmas again?

I just loved this story.

OK, I admit, I knew what direction the story was heading in. But sometimes that's a good thing.

We all long for a happy ending right?

Barker has got it just right.

With a balance of drama and laughter and a quirky bunch of characters, Santa Maybe has all the feels held within its pages.

I have never read a Christmas novel in August before. And I have never read a Mary Jayne Baker book I didn't love. This one was no exception. Baker's heroines are always a little quirky but tough and determined, and it may take a little time for them to figure out what and who they want, but they get there in the end. Elodie has had some sad knocks in life but she loves her granddad and the old toy shop the family has been running for years. But rivalry with the big department store in town and its cocky millionaire owner Callum, and her granddad's poor health meaning that he can no longer be the store's Santa, bring extra challenges this Christmas, including a bet that she won't back out of, even if it could ruin her. But hope arrives in the form of a friendly supermarket worker and out of work actor called Nick, the most unlikely of Santa substitutes, but one who is about to turn all their lives around. A fun book which I enjoyed reading, whatever the season.

Fabulous Christmas story that was funny and sweet. Nick Winter was adorable and I loved how he helped Elodie overcome her dislike of Christmas.
A fantastic love triangle that kept me guessing!
A real gift of a book!

Elodie's toy shop relies on its Christmas grotto to stay afloat - however, she's not a great fan of Christmas and unfortunately her grandad (best Santa in the business) is retiring for health reasons. Throw in an unexpected replacement who doesn't seem to tick any of the classic Santa boxes, and an ill-advised wager with her childhood nemesis, and this Christmas season looks like being a disaster. Maybe...

Slightly bizarre to be reading a festive-themed book in a heatwave, but I got over that very quickly; in fact I could hardly put it down. The author deals with a number of serious themes, but with her trademark deft touch, and it's a delight to watch Callum, Nick and Elodie develop as characters as the story progresses over the course of a year. Plus, random Christmas trivia and festive movie bingo; what's not to love? A keeper of a novel.

if i do love something, then that it is a really cute romance read based on christmas - and this one did not fail! it felt a little bit weird to read this during the summer but i am sure that if you find yourself cozing up with this book next to a really warm fireplace, you are going to love this as much as i did, if not more!

Absolutely adored this book! Read it in one sitting. This is my idea of a perfect Christmas read.

Christmas is my favourite time of the year and this novel has really got me excited for the festive season. Everything about this novel was cosy and Christmassy - the two toy stores competing against each other for the best Christmas grotto experience, the search for a new Santa and new love made the perfect Christmas storylines. I loved the characters and the writing style and was hooked from the first sentence.

I can imagine this book being made into a fabulous Christmas film.

The ideal novel to curl up with a hot chocolate on a Christmas night - I'll be putting this on my 'to read' list again for December!

Lovely Christmassy read, love how the day to day living entwines with the plot. The correct man gets the girl, but felt sorry for the other too.. must have for Christmas

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you so much Head of Zeus/Aria and NetGalley for this opportunity.

Well, I could say there’s a first time for everything. I read a Christmas novel in August. It felt kinda strange at first, but then I just tried to imagine myself on my comfy armchair with my From Blood and Ash blanket and a cup of hot chocolate.

This is my second book written by this author. "The 24 Hour Dating Agency" was one of my first reads on NetGalley, and, as I stated in my review, I loved the way the characters' imperfections were portrayed because I had the chance to relate to the characters.
But what about this one? Phenomenal since page one. I like how this writer can put lots of stuff in the caldron and still create and unique and successful novel. I remember I was worried about having three main characters in “The 24 Hour Dating Agency”, but the writer did a marvellous job since none overshadowed the others. The same thing happened here, you came across so many themes that every taste will be satisfied.

Can’t wait to read this story again during the Christmas season.

P.S. I think this book needs a screen adaptation 👀

Most heroines nowadays are sweetness and light, not Elodie Martin who runs the family shop, Martin's Toy Kingdom. She dislikes everyone except her grandfather, Pops, she even hates Christmas. She's easily annoyed and her remarks are frequently waspish. Too many female leads are portrayed as perfect. Elodie seemed a real person for a change. Her verbal barbs were often very funny.

This year, due to ill health, Pops can no longer be Santa Clause in their Christmas grotto and Elodie needs to find a substitute quickly. With the popularity of the local department store, the Toy Shop relies on the Grotto's profits or their business will likely fail.

My first Christmas novel this year and managed to read it in one day during the heatwave. Most of what I expected to happen, did happen, that's not a criticism. Santa Maybe was amusing and entertaining, a seasonal comfy read.

Thank you Head of Zeus and NetGalley for the ARC, this review is my personal, unbiased opinion.

Loved, loved, loved this amazing book. Poignant, heartbreaking and yet joyful. A wonderful book… It is an absolute triumph!

Loved this christmassy read. Lovely story very enjoyable will be rereading come December

Many thanks for the arc

A five-star read that is worthy of any Santa list. This was so sweet and funny and had me so wrapped up that I sobbed buckets!! For the first third I was a little mmmm and undecided about who I wanted Elodie to end up with in the end, as I almost didn’t care but I think I was just in an odd place. Once I got to the halfway point this one picked me up and span me round and had me all aflutter. I have loved this authors stories in the past, and this one just had the usual presence and spark. As well as so much Santa I am well into the Christmas spirit now.

I’ve read books by this author before so knew what writing style to expect. This is a perfect Christmas read and I can’t wait to share it as part of my December festive posts.

This is the epitome of Christmas reads, it’s the novel version of the film where neighbours compete over Christmas lights. In this novel, two toy shops are competitions against one another for the best Christmas grotto. Of course, it’s a festive ‘enemies’ to romance.

A fun and enjoyable book, perfect to read while snuggled with a blanket.

This was a very cute Christmas romance. The witty banter between Elodie and Nick made me laugh out loud! I absolutely love Christmas, so I was able to connect with Nick and all his jolly, even if I don’t necessarily agree with his Christmas movie choices! Some relationships feel a little forced, and the book felt a little drawn out at times, BUT I really loved it, especially the ending. If you like an easy to read, heartwarming, make you smile romance, then this is a must read for you!