Something Bright and Burning

Pub Date 20 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 15 Jan 2023

For some, knowing the truth is worse than living a lie.

Everly Martin, eighteen years old and fiercely ambitious, takes pity on Nicolai after accidentally swiping right on a dating app. She doesn't have time for love, not with her desperation to finish college and earn enough money to help her single mom pay the bills. But from the moment they meet at a coffee shop, Nicolai terrifies her with the instant connection they form. He couldn't have come at a worse time, because that same morning, Everly learns she's pregnant. And to make matters worse, she isn't sure who the father of her child is.

Though Everly is determined to stay far away from Nicolai, he reappears in her life, this time in a way she can't ignore. While fighting her growing attraction for him, Everly is haunted by the knowledge that her baby's father might actually be a terrible person. She's willing to find out, even if learning the truth ultimately ends in heartbreak.

Nicolai might not have a place in Everly's future, but when he helps her discover a shocking truth about her past-a truth that could either change everything for the better, or destroy it even more-Everly must decide what's more important: giving her child the life she's always wanted, or following her heart and choosing love.

For some, knowing the truth is worse than living a lie.

PRICE

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

holyshit, thank you netgalley for the copy, but again, holy shit. I mean???? At first i was sad because sad Everly deserved the world she did so much work, then vaughn or whatever 🤢🤢🤢 awful piece of trash but then john? And like okay but anyway the second he entered that house i just knew
But? I wasn't expecting this in the beginning honestly.
Great writing. I loved the portrayal of emotions (lack thereof sometimes), would totally recommend.

WOW! This was simply sensational and a whirlwind. Thank you netgalley & the publisher for the arc, in exchange for an honest review.

One of the best book i have read in recent times.. Our maine protagonist everly is so brave and ambitious.. The book really has a good romance. I literally cried while reading the book

Thank you Net galley for the arc!!
Something bright and burning begins with Everly finding out that she’s pregnant 7 weeks after her 18th birthday.. She’s too young to have a baby and she isn’t in a financially good place and is struggling with her situation . To make matters worse, she isn’t sure who the baby’s father is because it could be Vaughn her coworker (who is the worst human being ever) or John who is an older, gentle kind man she met at a bar while out celebrating her birthday.. Everly is struggling with figuring out what to do about the pregnancy when her best friend sets her up on an online date with Nicolai, they hit it off almost instantly and form a connection, but Everly knows she can’t be in a relationship as she’s balancing her job, her education, taking care of her sister, and now being pregnant with another man’s child.
I really enjoyed this book and the way it was written was so beautiful.. Everly has been through so much at such a young age it was really sad.. I also really enjoyed her poetry and her relationship with God. Now, Nicolai was the sweetest guy and I did feel bad for him because of the constant back and forth with Everly (which I understood but still frustrated me)..
The book though was really fast- paced especially at the ending which wasn’t very developed and just happened so fast.. The plot twist was insane and I don’t know how I feel about it.. It’s probably what dropped my rating from 5 to 4 because it was uncomfortable.. the letter made me cry though 😭
The poems were definitely my favorite, and I would definitely recommend reading the book!