Old Love Skin: Voices From Contemporary Africa

Pub Date 05 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 15 Jan 2023

A Kirkus Starred Book.

This highly imaginative and inventive collection of poems by fifty-two African poets writing from thirty countries across the continent, offers powerful poems that do not flinch from exploring experiences, hopes, aspirations that are deeply personal yet collective, the collection blurs the lines between the individual and collective voice in ways that are ironic, sad, humorous, light hearted, pessimistic, compassionate. Here poets subvert language, images and form to make them tell their stories, as well as being reflective of their past, present and future. Here poets remind us that human emotion(s) can be and are beautiful, the journey of self-discovery is as painful as it is cathartic.

A Kirkus Starred Book.

EDITION Paperback
PRICE 15.95

Send to Kindle (PDF)

What an exceptional compilation of poems featuring a diverse representation of voices. There is no sugar-coating here. The poems are stark, uncontrived representations of life in Africa, as experienced through the eyes of each poet. Beautiful, often dark, and profoundly moving. There is humanity and wisdom in these words.

This novel is a compilation of many different poets from Africa recounting from experience or word of life in Africa and the struggles of being a woman in Africa. It was raw when it needed to be and gratifying when it could have been harsh.

Nothing in this novel was sugarcoated or subtle, but it was still blindly giving you the impression that it could have translated in more than one way. I think that's the main point of poetry, writing something that appears to have an effect on everyone, but in many different ways that they take to the heart or to their home.

These poets did that. And I thank them for their educating words and vulnerability.

Thank you to Net Galley and Mukana Press for providing me with this ARC in exchange for my honest review and thoughts.

The poems in this poetry anthology were written by several African poets. The poems were heartfelt and profound. There was no concealment; it was a straightforward depiction of the difficulties of living in Africa.

I personally enjoy how a single poem can mean many different things to various readers. That is how it felt without a doubt. The poems were very powerful, and I could apply them to various aspects of my life.

Thank you to net galley and Makana Press for providing me with a copy of ‘Old Love Skin’ in exchange for an honest review.