Beekeeping for Beginners
Everything you Need to Know to Get Started and Succeed Keeping Bees in Your Backyard
by Kim Flottum
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 16 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 23 Aug 2022
Quarto Publishing Group – Quarry, New Shoe Press
You’ve decided to try beekeeping—so where do you start? Beekeeping for Beginners, adapted from the best-selling The Backyard Beekeeper, covers everything you need to know, from selecting the right kind of hives, and finding and bringing bees home to your yard, right up to the collection and enjoyment of the glorious reward—golden honey. Rewarding and environmentally beneficial, reading this complete and introductory guide is the first step in your journey to becoming a successful beekeeper, whether you decide to have one hive or twenty-five.
Renowned beekeeping expert Kim Flottum shares his vast knowledge from years of teaching beekeeping to all levels of enthusiasts for a no-fail approach to bringing a productive bee colony onto your property. Featuring diagrams and color photos, learning what you need to know to establish a vibrant bee colony is fun and easy.
The features that set Beekeeping for Beginners apart from other guides:
- Simplified approach―Aimed at the beginner, the book covers everything you need to know in uncomplicated and accessible language, accompanied by full-color illustrative photography.
- Up to date and organic―Learn details on the most current methods that make beekeeping sustainable and accessible even for the smallest yard and urban enthusiasts.
- Learn from an expert―Complete information from a trusted voice in the beekeeping community will give you the tools and knowledge you need to enjoy keeping bees with confidence.
This guide offers detailed instruction for:
- Establishing and taking care of your new bees
- Stress-free hive management
- Site selection and management
- Safety and swarm control
- Types of hives including top bar hives
- Harvesting, collecting, and processing honey
- Keeping bees and hives healthy year-round in all climates
- Urban beekeeping
- Smokers 101
- Pest and disease management
- Biodiversity and food for healthy hives
Learn everything you need to know to start your colony with this straightforward, highly visual guide for beginning beekeepers.
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 7 members
A knowledgeable, thorough guide to starting a hive, keeping them healthy and managing hives from your own backyard.
It was such an interesting read. I had no idea how beekeeping works and learned so much from this guide. It's easy to read and understand and definitely a book that new beekeepers will want to have on hand!
Readers who liked this book also liked:
Fiona Challacombe, Catherine Green, and Victoria Bream
Britney Winn Lee
Harmony Willow Hansen