Vinyl Resting Place

The Record Shop Mysteries

Pub Date 27 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 10 Jan 2023
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Paperbacks

Talking about this book? Use #VinylRestingPlace #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

First in a new series by Olivia Blacke, Vinyl Resting Place follows three sisters who discover that opening a family business can be murder.

"A charming cozy for a new generation of mystery readers . . . Vinyl Resting Place is a delight!" –Elle Cosimano, USA Today bestselling author of Finlay Donovan Is Killing It

When Juni Jessup and her sisters Tansy and Maggie put all their beans in one basket to open Sip & Spin Records, a record-slash-coffee shop in Cedar River, Texas, they knew there could be some scratches on the track, but no one was expecting to find a body deader than disco in the supply closet.

Family is everything to the Jessups, so when their uncle is arrested by Juni’s heartbreaking ex on suspicion of murder, the sisters don’t skip a beat putting Sip & Spin up for bail collateral. But their tune changes abruptly when Uncle Calvin disappears, leaving them in a grind. With their uncle’s freedom and the future of their small business on the line, it’s up to Juni and her sisters to get in the groove and figure out whodunit before the killer’s trail—and the coffee—goes cold.

Music and mocha seem like a blend that should be “Knockin' On Heaven's Door,” but caught up in a murder investigation with her family and their life savings on the line, Juni wonders if she might be on the "Highway to Hell" instead.

"A charming cozy for a new generation of mystery readers...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I wasn't sure what to expect from Vinyl Resting Place, and before long, I found myself loving this new cozy mystery.
The Sip & Spin is a new record store owned by three sisters.
Maggie and Tansy are joined by sister Juni Jessup, and before long they become involved in a murder investigation.
I really love this new spin ( pun intended) into the cozy mystery genre, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for selecting me to read an advanced copy of the book.
#VinylRestingPlace #NetGalley

With this book. the author embarks on a new series, set in small-town Texas. Juniper (Juni) has returned home from an IT job in Oregon to join her two older sisters in ownership of a record/coffee shop on the site of their grandparents old store. Juni enjoys being with her family again and is excited about their new venture, but the grand opening of Sip & Spin Records is soured by her discovery of a dead body in the supply closet.

There's enough of a connection between the deceased and the sisters' Uncle Calvin for the police to arrest Calvin. But after they bail him out using the store as collateral, he disappears, jeopardizing the financial future of Sip & Spin. Juni gets involved in the investigation a little too deeply, with the detective who broke her heart in high school waiting until late in the game to warn her she might be in danger. Her childhood best friend, now the local mailman, becomes a presence in her life again as well.

If you enjoy a breezy cozy mystery with a little romance, this may be the perfect escapist read for you. I personally enjoyed reading about a store that sells only vinyl records and punny coffee drinks, as well as the detailed physical descriptions of each of the characters and the settings. And that cover! I prefer the author's previous Brooklyn Murder Mystery series but look forward to seeing how this series matures.

My thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.

This is the first book by this author that I've read and I liked it.

It's a good cozy mystery and the thing I really liked is that it was a little different in that while it still had a coffee bar like most cozies, it also had a vinyl record store instead of the usual bookstore. The story line and subsequent investigation held my interest to the end and I didn't guess whodidit until it was revealed. I'd recommend this to any cozy mystery reader.

I was given an advanced copy of the book from the publisher through Netgalley.com

VINYL RESTING PLACE captures all the heart and spunk of the Texas Hill Country without the traffic, and will have you searching for real estate in Blacke's Cedar River. It should appeal broadly to cozy enthusiasts, regardless of age.

The first track of The Record Shop Mysteries is a "number one with a bullet." There is so much to love about Vinyl Resting Place by Olivia Blacke. The story takes place in an Austin, Texas adjacent town. The contemporary setting has all the traditional cozy elements— a tight-knit trio of sisters as the shop owners, a prankster uncle getting into trouble, a small-town-everybody-know-you vibe, punny humor (the coffee names, lolz), and of course, amateur sleuthing. There is a lot to love about this series debut including the musical artists referenced from Bille Holiday to Britney Spears and everything in between.

A feel good, family-centered cozy mystery, the first in a new series. This will be fun to recommend to readers of cozy mysteries who are looking for something new to read, as it checks all the boxes and adds up to a fun read. Readers who have enjoyed books by Abby Collette, Joanna Fluke, and Valerie Burns, to name a few, will most likely enjoy this title.

A fun mystery that had me guessing along! Vinyl Resting Place by Olivia Blacke was a fantastic cozy read! I enjoyed the storyline and the mystery.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from St. Martin’s Press and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

A wonderful new cozy mystery series centered around family and tradition. Quite enjoyable and entertaining.

A cute cozy that's super fun to read. A great start to a new series. Loved the record shop/coffee bar setting! The mystery had some red herrings and moved at a good pace. Characters were well developed and engaging. I definitely want this series to continue! Thanks #netgalley and #stmartinspress for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.

Juni, Tansy and Maggie have finally opened their own business. They’re bringing the cool old school vinyl records together with a hip new coffee shop. After a body is found in the closet at the shop, their Uncle Calvin is arrested for murder.

The sisters have no doubt Uncle Calvin is innocent and use their shop as collateral for his bail. But when Uncle Calvin goes missing, the sister need to find out whodunit because they have “Nothin’ to Lose” but their shop and all they’ve worked for.

This is a great start to a new series from Oliva Blacke. I love the setting and the sisterly dynamics. This series has made it to my must read list after just one book!

A rocking start to a new cozy series! I loved the vinyl hook and strong familial relationships, especially between Juni and her sisters. The witty coffee names and solid mystery cranked up the volume and made this book a winner. Eager to read the next installment!

This is a first in this series and a lot of fun. I love the sisters relationships. Overall a great start to a fun new series.
#VinylRestingPlace #NetGalley

Step back in time to remember the days of vinyl records for your music pleasure. Also work along side the 3 sisters and their family and friends to solve a murder. Several romances to root for are occurring as well.

I adored this book. Blacke has such a clever, witty voice, and her characters are instantly engaging. I'll read anything she writes!

When Juniper moves back to Texas to re-open her family’s old record shop with her sisters things don’t go exactly to plan. Juniper discoverers a body in the shop’s supply closet at their opening party. To make things worse her ex is the lead detective on the case and is on the hunt for her uncle who is a prime suspect. Can Juniper and her sisters help solve the case and get their uncle out of suspicion? This was such a fun cozy mystery! The Austin setting and the record shop were characters themselves, and the banter between the sisters was great. The book highlights the importance of familial relationships and second chances. I highly recommend this new cozy mystery!

Pub date: 12/27/22
Genre: cozy mystery, book 1 in the Record Shop Mysteries
One sentence summary: Sisters Juni, Tansy, and Maggie are risking it all to open Sip & Spin Records, a record/coffee shop, but a dead body and a disappearing uncle make for a rocky start.

I love a new cozy mystery series, and this one felt really special! The sisters have a great relationship, and I enjoyed getting to know all of them, especially MC Juni. The record store setting felt like a place I'd love to hang out, and I kept laughing at their drink-song puns (highlights include Shiny Frappe People, Excuse Me While I Kiss This Chai, and All the Single Lattes). The mystery was compelling and well-paced with a satisfying conclusion.

This new series has everything I look for in a cozy mystery, and I'm excited for book 2 and beyond!

Thank you to St. Martin's Press for my NetGalley ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As soon as I read the title, I knew I had to read Vinyl Resting Place by Olivia Blacke. Junie Jessup moves back home to Texas after she loses her job due to the company going bust and opens up Sip&Spin Records with her sisters, in the same building her grandparents once ran a record store. Serving up coffee as well as records, the sisters are shocked to find a dead body in their supply closet at their grand opening party. If that wasn't bad enough, the lead detective is Junie's ex and he still knows how to push her buttons. When the sisters' Uncle Calvin is arrested and then takes off after they put the shop up to bail him out, Junie can't help but investigate the murder and her uncle's disappearance.

It took a bit of reading before I got into the story but once I did, it was hard to put down. I am already looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you to St Martin's Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC.

A fun record shop outside Austin and a punny title. How could I resist? I mean, I still own vinyl records, so this one spoke to my heart. I'm glad I dropped in as it was a fun, quirky read, full of characters who were, well, characters, and lots of down-home, Texas country charm.

Even Uncle Calvin, who seems to tread only the edge of the law was likable, even if he created a major headache for the Jessup sisters, Tansy, Maggie (don't you dare call her Marigold), and main character Juni (Juniper). They've invested everything they have in Sip and Spin Records and when they find a body in their supply closet after the grand opening, Calvin is a suspect. He's arrested but disappears after they put up the shop as bail. The sisters, lead by Juni, set out to prove his innocence but, well, first they've got to find him. Hence, they have two mysteries to solve, who killed Monica Mayhew and where is Uncle Calvin. It's actually the second that dominates much of the book as, quite frankly, Juni doesn't even know the name of the victim for some time. In her defense, it's because everyone thought she'd recognized Monica since she's babysat her as a child.

While I found Juni likable, she didn't strike me as the person I'd want trying to prove my innocence of even a traffic ticket, however. Her investigative tactics are basic, in her defense not abnormal for someone new at it, and she's quick to not just jump to conclusions but confront suspects with accusations of being the murderer. Heck, she even accuses her own brother-in-law of being the murderer. What is Juni basing her accusations on? Will withholding information from ol' flame Beau, now detective, slow down the investigation? Will she get glitter bombed again? Who attacked her in Calvin's house? Why does she arrive at the shop on day to find it surrounded by firetrucks and rescue personnel? What is the "game" some are asking about? Is Beau using or or genuinely still attracted to her? How about ol' friend Teddy? Could he become more than a friend or is she still too tied emotionally to Beau? What could possibly go wrong when she borrows Calvin's unused truck? Uh, lots.

And, wait, enough teasers. This brand new series has promise and I look forward to seeing how it develops. As with most new series, the characters aren't fully fleshed out, so it'll be fun to get to know them as it progresses. Heck, even prankster Uncle Calvin was showing promise at the end. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for introducing me to Sip and Spin. I'm looking forward to many a return visit.

A fun new mystery series, that’s sure to be a hit.. Three sisters open a new record shop in Texas and are excited until they find a body in the closet. Great characters, lots of fun.

Vinyl Resting Place was the cozy mystery novel that everyone needs to read. I thought at some points i knew who the culprit was and other times i had no clue. Juniper was a fantastic MFC and i enjoyed her the entire time. There wasn’t one point during this novel in which she bothered me.

You get murder mystery, family, small town romance, love triangle, and more. I think what drew me to this book was because they owned a Coffee shop and record store all in one. I’ve grown to love vinyl over the years and it was nice to read another book about it. I wish we got more of Teddy in this book but; i can’t wait to read the next one. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for introducing me to Sip and Spin & for the early arc.

This was a fast-paced and well-written drama that I could not put down, quickly becoming a page turner as I had to know why this young woman was murdered and placed in the record shop. The author did a great job setting this up with a bevy of suspects and clues there and there, with just enough tease to keep me in the game. There were a few red herrings that would point to a few with some surprises that I did not see coming. I liked how the sister came together to sift through the clues, making it believable in what they wanted to accomplish. The secondary characters had pivotal roles and it was their action that would lead to the revelation of the killer’s identity and the motive. Good job in keeping me in suspense throughout most of the book, especially when I had that “aha” moment and knew who the killer was and enjoyed watching it all play out to the end.

I received this ARC via Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press, in return for an honest review. This is a clever premise for the first book in a new cozy series. Set in a newly opened record shop and coffee bar outside Austin, Texas, USA, three interesting sisters co-own the Sip and Spin. When their grand opening ends with them finding a body in their supply closet, how can things possibly get worse? Until they do with the detention and subsequent disappearance of their Uncle Calvin who is a suspect in the murder. Juni (Juniper) is determined to find out what happened and save both Uncle Calvin and their shop, since they posted it as collateral for his bond. The premise has great potential for a series so it will be fun to see what happens next.