The Girl Who Dared to Dream

Pub Date 13 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 13 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheGirlWhoDaredtoDream #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The captivating new novel from Diney Costeloe, bestselling author of The Throwaway Children and The Girl With No Name.

London, 1912.

It is two years before the outbreak of World War 1, and the Oakley family are typical of their time. Andrew has been clerk at a City solicitors for twenty years. Alice, his wife, keeps the home fires burning. Their sons plan on becoming skilled apprentices. And Mabel, their daughter, says she would rather die than go into domestic service like her cousin. She is going to go to train as a secretary.

Andrew Oakley little imagines, as he sets off for work one February morning, that their lives are about to change in the most dramatic and tragic fashion. In one fateful instant the family dreams are crushed. And Mabel will have to swallow her pride to take that position as in-between maid after all. It is every bit as unpleasant as she expected. But help is going to come from a quite unexpected direction and bring her dreams to life again.

Brilliant storytelling, wonderful characters, here is everything we have come to love about a Diney Costeloe novel.

Praise for Diney Costeloe:
'Truly captivating.' Woman & Home
'A treat from the very first page. I could not put it down!' Historical Novel Society
'Historical fiction heaven... Anyone who feels that women's hist fict is a simplified genre sub-set would definitely need a rethink after this.' The Bookbag

London, 1912.

It is two years before the outbreak of World War 1, and the Oakley...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £7.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Very honored to receive a chance to review this book. Full review to follow here and on blog. So interesting to read a historical themed book that focuses on pre ww1 life, I can’t wait to read about the diverse cast of characters and to especially read Mabel’s journey.

London, 1912.

This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review…thanks to the publisher for an electronic copy. Starting anew…family and friends…historical fiction…this author is talented at weaving a cannot put down story…enjoy…it does move slowly at times but is a great book…

Mabel has dreams of going to school to become a secretary in London a few years before WWI breaks out. Due to an accident that impacts her father’s ability to provide for his family, she instead must take a service job in order to contribute to her family’s income. Avoiding the advances of her employer’s son, the ire of the more senior service workers, and the worry of her parents and the new life they are leading, Mabel tries her best to accept her circumstances for what they are. Then she is accused of a crime and her luck turns.

Mabel’s family has a series of misfortunes during the course of the book. Readers who have faced a streak of unfortunate challenges will sympathize with what they are going through just to provide a meal and home for the family. Educations and apprenticeships are sacrificed because during the 1910s this cost families money that Mabel’s family simply didn’t have as a result of losing the decent income her father had before his accident.

Mabel is a young woman who doesn’t give up on herself or her dreams. I found not only her spiritual strength, but mental and emotional strength enlightening. When you look at the obstacles that ere thrown at her in a short time, you truly appreciate the strong female character that she is. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you to NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for the advanced copy. Opinions expressed are my own.

#netgalley #arc #dineycosteloe #thegirlwhodaredtodream #ariafiction #ariesfictionbooks

I was delighted to get the opportunity to review The Girl Who Dared To Dream as I love Disney Costeloe book and I was not disappointed! I adored this book and I read it over the course of one day!

It was interesting to see how the author brought all the characters together. Thank you to NetGalkey and the publisher for the early read.

Firstly I would like to thank netgalley and Aria&Aries,and the author Diney Costello for a copy of this book to read.

I've read two of this authors books and really enjoyed them,Another fantastic read hooked from the start.Mabel dream is to become a secretary,Her father ended up in an accident and no longer work,she and her brothers had no choice but to bring in an income to help her mother.Mabel had to do a job she never wanted to do and go into service,Then she was accused of a crime she didn't commit.This book was engaging and about hardships giving up your dreams to help your family survive..a fantastic historical read...highly recommend..

This book will be reviewed on goodreads and Amazon UK.

The Girl Who Dared to Dream was a brilliant read. I’ve read this authors previous books and loved them. This one was no exception . I was drawn straight into this book right from the very beginning. This is a book I highly recommend to fans of historical fiction novels.

1912: Mabel Oakley is fourteen years old, she's an excellent student, and her teacher Miss. Chapman thinks she should continue her education and possibly go to high school. Mabel has two brothers, Edward who's about to start his carpenters apprenticeship and Stephen is still at primary school.

Andrew has a soft spot for his daughter, he works as a clerk at a solicitor’s office and the family gets by. His wife Alice handles the housekeeping, by tightening their belts, they should be able to afford for Mabel to stay at school for one more year.

When tragedy strikes, Alice tries her best, unfortunately Mable has to leave school and her cousin Lizzie knows of a vacant position. Lady McFarlane needs a maid, and Mable starts working as a live in domestic servant. Mable hates her job, she misses her family, the hours are long, with no free time, and she doesn’t trust her employer’s son.

Mabel confides in her friend Mr. Clarke how miserable she is, he promises her things will get better, and it’s not forever. Mabel's plight unfortunately was a common one at the time, most girls finished school early, had low paying jobs and handed their wages over to their families.

I received a copy of The Girl Who Dared to Dream by Diney Costeloe from NetGalley and Aria & Aries in exchange for an honest review. Ms. Costeloe has an informative and moving writing style, and you’re given a realistic impression of life in Edwardian England and through the point of view of a fourteen year old girl. Mabel is a plucky and bright young lady, she faces challenges head on, and doesn't give up in wanting more out of life and continuing to help her family. Five stars from me, I highly recommend this book and the others in Diney Costeloe’s vast catalogue of historical fiction.

The Girl who Dared to Dream is a sweet story of its smart, brave and stron characters. I enjoyed the lead character's determination and perseverance towards her future.

Just finished reading this and will add this author to my list. The book centres around a family whose circumstances change when their dad is involved in a accident meaning that he won't be able to work ever again. Money is tight and Mabel their daughter has no choice but to go into domestic service to help. Unbeknown to her parents she has befriended an old man who owns a printing business and when things go wrong she seeks his advice when things go very wrong for her.
The story shows the hardships endured by the family and how they overcome them. I really enjoyed this book and will look for more from this author.

I've read alot of book's by this author and this is yet another fantastic read, a story of hardship and friendship. I loved the characters and will miss Mable and her family.

This is the first book by this author that I've read and I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover her. I read this in one day. From page one I was hooked.
Mabel is fourteen years old and wants to stay on at school for another year. She loves learning and wants a better life than a girl normally had in those days. Tragedy strikes and she has to give up her dreams and go into service. She hates it. The conditions are tough. Long, hard days with hardly any time off and having to constantly dodge the son of the house, which was the norm at the time I believe. An incident in the house where she works ends with the loss of her job. There are some nasty people in the house and I was delighted when one got their comeuppance.
Mabel is a flawed character and this only makes her more real. She has a lovely, caring family but she can be a bit of a brat at times. There is a great cast of characters and the book flows along at a nice pace. I do hope this is a series as I would like to see how she and her family progress in life especially with World War I on the horizon.

Thanks to Netgalley and Aria & Aries for an early copy of this book to read.

I am a huge fan of this author, I have read everything she has written.
It’s 1912 and Mabel Oakley wants to make her own future. Unfortunately when her dad becomes disabled her life takes a turn she didn’t expect.
I love everything about this authors writing, great characters, great story, and I will forever read anything she writes!

Absolutely loved this read couldn't put it down, loved reading about the determination of Mabel and how she didn't want to end up in service despite what was expected of her.
An unfortunate accident involving her precious dada makes Mabel have to rethink her plans for her future, but a loving friend has special plans for the feisty Mabel.
Lovely cast of characters and a brilliant storyline, with a few twists thrown in foe good measure, highly reccomend this book

I have read most of the authors previous books and enjoyed them. This book is set in London, 1912. I liked the strong female protagonist who didn't let a change in family circumstances ruin her thoughts of forging more for herself than going into service, working on a factory or getting married. I imagine that girls like her in this era would have it nigh on impossible to achieve more. Very will written with a strong storyline. I would love to know what her plans for the print shop are. Maybe there will be a sequel?

A Lovely Book to read with a great story that goes so well with the characters and fans of this author will also love the book.5*

After seeing this author’s books in bookshops for years, I’m thankful for the opportunity to finally read one. I’m shocked it’s taken me this long and disappointed at missing out on such great historical fiction.

At the center of this book is Mabel Oakley and her plan for her future. Readers will be in awe at her tenacity and empathize with her sacrifice. Hardship forces Mabel to shelve her dreams to support her family. This feisty girl learns to navigate a future she hadn’t planned.

Many of us have walked, are walking, or will at some point, walk through seasons of uncertainty, unmet dreams and feel unfulfilled. Seeing a character grow, live and prosper after her life takes an unexpected twist, is encouraging.

Costeloe’s wonderful characters and her engaging plot kept me interested. Her theme about help coming from the most unlikely of people was well presented. It was reaffirming to read about a strong female character who blossomed despite her circumstances.

I was gifted this advance copy by Aria and Aries and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.

Excellent book i really enjoy Diney's books and style of writing this us a good story with a few twists.

A truly special novel that I would highly recommend. I always thoroughly enjoy Diney’s novels and this one displayed all her excellent writing skills. Mabel, a young girl has to change her plans after her father is involved in an accident, but she shows real strength and determination to try and improve her lot.