A Spoonful of Time

A Novel

Pub Date 11 Apr 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #ASpoonfulofTime #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When You Reach Me meets Love Sugar Magic in this unforgettable middle grade novel where time travel, family recipes, and family secrets collide.

Maya’s grandmother, Halmunee, may be losing her memory, but there’s something almost magical about the way she cooks. Whether Halmunee serves salty miyeokguk or sweet songpyeon, her stories about Korea come to life for Maya.

Then one day, something extraordinary happens: a single delicious bite of patbingsu transports Maya and Halmunee back into one of Halmunee’s memories. Suddenly they’re in Seoul, and Halmunee is young.

This is just the first of many secrets Maya will uncover: that she and her grandmother can time-travel, and they aren’t the only ones with this ability. As Maya eats her way through the past, her questions multiply—until a shocking discovery transforms everything she thought she knew about family, friendship, loss, and time itself.

Brimming with heart and interspersed with seven family recipes that readers can make themselves, this is a story to savor by rising Korean American author Flora Ahn.

Maya’s grandmother, Halmunee, may be losing her memory...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

When Maya’s Halmunee comes to visit, everything is turned upside down for Maya and her mother. As Maya learns to deal with Halmunee’s dementia and Mom’s inaccessibility, she compartmentalizes herself into Home Maya and School Maya. But then Halmunee starts cooking for Maya and as the flavors cross their tongues, they are transported back in time where they can watch their past memories. While there, Maya meets another time traveler, Jeff, but as their friendship grows, things are not how they appear.
I really enjoyed Maya’s story. The food sounded delicious, and I’m curious to try a few of the recipes. I thought that the story was going to be fairly straightforward, but the twists and turns kept surprising me. It was a solid read.

I really enjoyed this one! I liked how we get to see and learn about the past of Maya and her family.
I felt that this gave Maya a good look into understanding the relationships between her family members. I loved all the recipes! I especially liked the illustrations throughout with the recipes.
This is such a sweet book, with a wonderful look at family and culture and how they make and build us into who we are.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!