Hanging Out

The Radical Power of Killing Time

Pub Date 24 Jan 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #HangingOut #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A smart and empowering book about the simple art of hanging out ... and of taking back our social lives from the deadening whirl of contemporary life.

Almost every day it seems that our world becomes more fractured, more digital, and more chaotic. Sheila Liming has the answer: we need to hang out more.

Starting with the assumption that play is to children as hanging out is to adult, Liming makes a brilliant case for the necessity of unstructured social time as a key element of our cultural vitality. The book asks questions like what is hanging out? why is it important? why do we do it? how do we do it? and examines the various ways we hang out -- in groups, online, at parties, at work.

Hanging Out: The Radical Power of Killing Time makes an intelligent case for the importance of this most casual of social structures, and shows us how just getting together can be a potent act of resistance all on its own.

Almost every day it seems that our world becomes...

Send to Kindle (PDF)