Blood Circus

Pub Date 31 Jan 2023 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #BloodCircus #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this lush and terrifying debut—perfect for readers of The Hunger Games and Children of Blood and Bone—Camila Victoire draws upon her own experience in a traveling circus to create a future where cruelty and spectacle hold the keys to subjugating humans on a ravaged earth.

At the end of the twenty-first century, climate change and famine almost ended humanity—until the discovery of the Klujns, a barbaric, humanoid species with strangely colored eyes and even stranger abilities. Their crystal claws and bones fertilize barren soil, and their tender meat is a super-protein. Klujns are both humans’ saviors and natural-born enemies, meant to be hunted and used.

When sixteen-year-old Ava finds herself on the wrong side of a military fence erected to protect the North American Territory, she’s captured by Klujns and made to participate in the Blood Race, a macabre tradition where young human hostages compete to the death for Klujn amusement. At first, she is terrified, but as Ava observes Klujn behavior that contradicts what she’s learned, she begins to wonder: Are Klujns as different as she was led to believe? And, as she fights for her life, does it matter?

Inspired by the dark, bohemian influence of the circus she traveled with for four years, Camila Victoire delivers a twisted coming-of-age tale that combines elements of fantasy, magical realism, and suspense. Blood Circus will capture fans of Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, Suzanne Collins’s The Hunger Games, and Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone. Its masterful worldbuilding, plot twists, and boundary-pushing Blood Race are wholly immersive—and compel readers to call their own long-held assumptions, values, and belief systems into question.

In this lush and terrifying debut—perfect for readers of The Hunger Games and Children of Blood and Bone—Camila Victoire draws upon her own experience in a traveling circus to create a future where...

A Note From the Publisher

Camila Victoire is a French Canadian / Australian novelist and screenwriter currently based in Montreal. She toured for four years with a circus before going to study writing for film and TV at the Vancouver Film School, from which she graduated in 2015. The daughter of two performance artists, she is a born nomad. Her stories are nourished by her adventures, from exploring the haunted forests of Transylvania to venturing deep into the jungles of Peru. This is her first novel.

Advance Praise

“I could not stop reading Blood Circus from the moment I started. The world is fascinating, and the story is brilliantly told. Love, love, love.”

—Storm Reid, actress, winner of the Teen Choice Award and NAACP Image Award

“This socially progressive dystopian adventure with strong worldbuilding and suspenseful plotting will appeal to fans of the Hunger Games…Pointedly questioning what it is to be human, this absorbing debut expresses profound longing for the disappearing wild.”

Kirkus Reviews

—Storm Reid, actress, winner of the Teen Choice Award...

Marketing Plan

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9798200816088
PAGES 414

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I'm not a fan of books that revolve around the circus, but I thought I would give this chance. I am so glad I did because it was amazing. I had the perfect amount of suspense, magic realism and fantasy elements. This is a 100% 5 Star book!

Loved loved this one!! Gripping and exciting and as always a fab read and can't wait to see what this author does next :)

This book reminds me of the hunger games and the maze trials mixed together. It was a fantastic read and kept me up late into the night. Sometimes monsters look like innocent people even when they’re the worst monsters of all.