Northern Soul

Southern-Inspired Home Cooking from a Northern Kitchen

Pub Date 20 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 06 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #NorthernSoul #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“Justin uses his cooking to transcend geography, connect with his family, and share a bit of his history, and our history, with the world. Slow down, give it a read, and get cookin’.”
  ―Guy Fieri, host of “Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives” and “Guy’s Ranch Kitchen”

In 90+ soul-satisfying recipes, beloved Top Chef star, chef, and restaurateur Justin Sutherland offers his take on easy Southern-inspired home cooking…with a Northern Twist.

Justin owns multiple restaurants in the Twin Cities, though his reputation is national. You may know him from television, where he won an Iron Chef episode, competed on Season 16 of Top Chef, and is one of the chefs featured on Fast Foodies and is producer and host of Taste the Culture, both airing on TruTV/TBS.

In his highly anticipated first cookbook, Justin shares the inspiration and foundation behind his approach to his signature Southern cooking, which includes his upbringing in the Northern Midwest and the South, as well as his African-American and Asian heritage.

Northern Soul features his signature recipes for lunch, brunch, dinner, snacks, late-night meals, and cocktail recipes. Justin shares how you can make easy, traditional Southern recipes with a Northern flair, in your own kitchen. From recipes like Chicken and Waffles and Creole Jambalaya to Bourbon Pecan Pie with Maple Whip and Hot Mac and Cheese, plus spice blends, sauces, rubs and pickles, you’ll learn just how deliciously southern soul and northern heart blend.

Praise for Northern Soul:

I am covered in chills reading Justin Sutherland’s book. It’s mindful, soulful, important, and truly American—because it is a global story. We are one. We are all connected if we choose to be. With Justin’s cookbook, we all come one step closer, and one meal closer, to one another.”
  ―Rachael Ray, host of “30 Minute Meals” and “The Rachael Ray Show”

“In Northern Soul, Justin Sutherland elevates southern comfort dishes in a unique way that speaks to the power of how food fuels us as individuals, connects to us spiritually, and forges the bonds of community.”
   ―Marcus Samuelsson, chef and author of The Red Rooster Cookbook

“This book is a deep dive into soul food from a clear and fresh perspective, one that feels familiar and approachable, creative and craveable. Justin Sutherland beautifully demonstrates how food connects us all, but also is an integral part of how we can seamlessly celebrate our individuality together. I cannot wait to cook my way through this book!
  ―Brooke Williamson, chef and winner of Food Network’s “Tournament of Champions”
  ―Guy Fieri...

PAGES 208

Oh. My. Goodness. This is my kind of food! There are so many amazing sounding recipes that I can’t wait to try! And I’ve finally got a recipe for a seafood boil that sounds so delicious! This is a recipe book that I’ll definitely be purchasing and using!

Northern Soul is full of gorgeous photography of the most delicious food you could ever dream of. The recipes are amazing and this Chef will go far! I made Super Easy Peanut Butter Banana Pudding and it was so incredibly yummy. Cannot wait to make more recipes!

I always enjoyed Chef Justin Sutherland on his season of Top Chef, and his new cookbook continues that tradition! In addition to all the recipes and gorgeous photographs of the finished dishes, you get to know his food perspective, given to him by his extended Japanese, Norwegian, and Black family roots. Plus, there's a healthy dash of Twin Cities influence.

But the recipes! It's a great mix of rubs, pickles, starters, sides, mains, and desserts. Oh, and creative cocktails, too! Aside from all the BBQ fare—Smoked Brisket, BBQ Ribs, there are classic Southern dishes like Fried Buttermilk Chicken, Shrimp Po' Boys, and Mac & Cheese. There's definitely a meat-centric spin here, and the regional focus is on the South, but with a little of his MPLS roots on display. Just for fun, I would have loved to have seen a Lutefisk recipe in this book.