Where The Cricket Sings

Some things you can't run away from

Pub Date 10 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 26 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WhereTheCricketSings #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Luken stands on the clifftops outside St Jean de Luz in France looking across to Spain, the land he is forbidden to return to under penalty of death ... but knows that he will.

In Northern Spain 1936, Fascist forces are imposing their deadly ideology: 'Think like us or die.'

Dissenters are executed.

Luken urges his fellow citizens to revolt for better working conditions and his wife, Miren, a nurse, treats left wing sympathisers - fatal actions under the regime.

Both are forced to flee with their daughter and son.

Finding no work in France, they reach out to an old friend of Luken's, who helps them create a new life in Ireland.

This fresh start, however, is threatened when they discover the shadowy forces and influences they thought had been left behind are still in pursuit...

Inspired by actual characters and events, this is a beautifully written story of exile and asylum, an epic tale of murder, love and betrayal and, ultimately, of the reaffirmation of the human soul.

In Northern Spain...

Advance Praise

Literary Redhead (Amazon.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars MESMERIZING

Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2022

I adored Where the Cricket Sings, which grabbed me from the first as it follows one gutsy family from Spain during the Civil War in 1936, then to France and finally Ireland as they diligently toiled to create a new life away from strife. The novel seemed so real that I felt as if I were in the shoes of Luken and wife Mirren throughout their gripping journey. I was mesmerized by the settings, and found the plot and character development incredibly compelling. Bravo!

Editorial Reviews Amazon:

""This is a beautifully written novel with characters you grow to care deeply about and a story that never lets you go."" - Beta Reader 1, Books Go Social.

""- it was well ordered and structured and had a good mix of main and secondary characters to keep the interest and story flowing...It was a good read, the language was precise, and the pace nicely measured."" - Beta Reader 2, Books Go Social.

Literary Redhead (Amazon.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars MESMERIZING

Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2022

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed to read about this family 's life. What I found particularly interesting is that their story is so entangled within the story of their country, that I learned a lot about it: a very hard time for Basque people who lived in Spain in 1936 onwards! Also fascinating was their life in Ireland where they fled to and the political parallels drawn between both countries....
My first novel by the author but definitely not the last one!
I received a complimentary ARC of this novel from NetGalley and I am leaving voluntarily an honest review.

First of all thank you so much for the opportunity to read this ARC. And second I really liked this book. I am so glad I chose this book to be the first book I read on here. I loved how the characters were written and I loved how the book just flowed nicely. There was no moment when I felt like I was bored. I will deff buy this book and recommend it to others.

This was such an interesting read for me on a personal level as I have Spanish blood in me and Irish blood in me so I found this a fascinateing read. I liked the writing, I found the storyline to be gripping and I thought the characters were well developed. A good solid read.

Where the Cricket Sings is such a fabulous read. It follows a family from Spain during the Civil War in 1936, then to France and finally Ireland as they struggle to find a new life. I loved reading about Luken and his wife Mirren, this book is written so realistically I was immersed immediately and found myself being 'part of their family and their journey.
The plot flows brilliantly and while this book is both emotional and dramatic, it is one of those books that makes your heart sing.

I loved it