The Silent Child

An addictive crime thriller with a shocking twist

Pub Date 03 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 28 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheSilentChild #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘Cora is a character you won’t forget.’ Steve Cavanagh, author of The Devil’s Advocate

When a body is discovered at an abandoned Suffolk farm, DS Rob Minshull and the squad believes it’s the latest casualty of the drugs war terrorising rural communities. But when the victim is identified as a well-respected local teacher, the case is thrown wide open.

While they hunt the murderer, the South Suffolk CID team face a new threat. A brutal vigilante group dispensing their own twisted justice puts the investigation in grave danger, as well as the detectives.

Educational psychologist, Dr Cora Lael, is called in to work with Lottie Arundel, a troubled teen who stopped speaking a year ago.

As Cora enters Lottie’s world, it seems that the teen’s silence might hold the key to the case. But as Cora and Rob work together to find a vicious killer, it’s clear that uncovering Lottie’s secrets will take Cora and Rob into the most dangerous of places – where the price to pay for the truth might be death…

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £1.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I loved this book, i adamitica it’s a bit too dark to my personale tastes, it’s one of those that you vouldn’t Say it you really like it but can put it down tilt the end. The only thinks the author could change is elaborate about Lottie at The end, about what happening to her.

Wow what a book thank you ever so much for the opportunity to review. I could not put it down. Would definitely recommend to others

A solid four star read. Great premise. Well written. Good characters. Page turner. Plenty of suspense to keep me guessing Would definitely read the next novel. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.

This is book #2 in the Cora Lael series. Whilst it is part of a series, it can easily be read as a standalone book although I would recommend reading the books in order. Dr Cora Lael is a psychologist and has a unique ability to pick up on emotions, feelings and voices on items which people have touched. She is asked to work on a case of Lottie, a teenage girl who has stopped speaking. Meanwhile, DS Rob Minshull is investigating the discovery of a body at an abandoned farm and as the case develops, he finds he may need Cora’s help again.

This was a great read! I’d read the first book in the series, and loved it so was excited to see what would happen in this one! Dr Cora Lael is such an interesting character with a very unique and unexpected ability. As we got to find out all about Cora’s gift in the first book, there was only a brief recap of it with the majority of the book focussing on the police investigation and Cora and Lottie’s sessions together. The chapters alternated mainly from the point of view of Minshull, Cora and Lottie with added perspectives from members of Minshull’s team. The storyline flowed perfectly, grabbing my attention from the very first page and keeping me captivated as I read. I really liked Minshull’s character and was left wondering where Cora and he are heading! I also really liked DI Joel Anderson and DC Drew Ellis…. actually, no! Scrap that, I loved all the team working on the case! There was obviously a lot of things going on within them all, both at work and in their personal lives but the team dynamics were fascinating, and I loved how they all worked together.

The storyline was fast paced and full of suspense and tension. I was left wondering what would happen next at the end of every chapter and this led to several ‘just one more chapter’ moments throughout! The storyline does feature child grooming/abuse so, as a warning, this may be a trigger for some. The storyline is cleverly written, initially leaving me stumped as to how everything comes together, but unfolding as it moves along, tying up all the loose ends as it goes! I thoroughly enjoyed this book; it was something that I really settled into very quickly and felt a tinge of disappointment when I finished it. This was a unique crime thriller which I would definitely recommend! Can’t wait for the next one! Fabulous!!!

The second book in the Cora Lael series.I really enjoyed the first installment in the series and was pleased to have the chance to read this book,I wasn't dissapointed this was a great read I could'nt put it down.
Cora is a great character and I'm looking forward to reading about her next case.
Thanks to Netgalley and Hera Books for the ARC

This is the second book in the Dr Cora Lael series. After the events of the previous book, Cora is working in a new role in education. She is trying to help teenager Lottie who has stopped speaking, meanwhile DS Rob Minshull is investigating the murder of a schoolteacher nearby. Cora and Rob soon realise that things are more connected than they imagined, and just how dangerous uncovering the truth might be.

This book had a lot to live up to after such a fantastic start to the series, The Secret Voices, and I am thrilled to say that I was not disappointed!

Without a doubt the best part of the book is the characters. They are so genuine and you get a real insight into theirs thoughts and feelings. I found myself fully invested in their lives, relationships and jobs. I loved the plot, it was completely captivating and very well-written. Cora's unique ability gives the book such an originality that you won't find anywhere else.

I am delighted that there is another book planned because I am not quite ready to let go of these brilliant characters. I highly recommend The Silent Child for a book that you won't bne

Thank you NetGalley and Hera Books for sending this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

4.5 stars that I will round up to 5 gladly.

The Silent Child is second in the series and it the writing and story just keeps getting better.

Cora is back and she is determined and will go to any lengths to help Lottie who has not spoken in over a year.

What is Lottie holding back . Could she have a secret that is so devastating that it prevents her from speaking.

DS Rob Munshull and his team are racing against the clock to solve the murder of a popular teacher.

The pages fly by with twists and turns and an ending I did not see coming .

There is a lot of depth to the story and one that will keep you thinking for a long time to come.

I can not wait until Book 3 to see what Cora and Rob will be doing.

Take time to read the author's notes as they are powerful words.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hera Books for a page turning read.

Dr. Cora Lael is an educational psychologist with a unique ability to hear voices and emotions from objects people have touched. She is called upon to work with a girl who has stopped speaking. The girl, Lottie Arundel, attends a school where a teacher has recently been murdered. DS Rob Minshull is working the case. This was a page-turner in the "just one more chapter then I'll go to bed" vein. Lots of suspense and good characterization.