Finding Elevation

Fear and Courage on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain

Pub Date 10 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 09 Jan 2023
Girl Friday Productions, Girl Friday Books

Talking about this book? Use #FindingElevation #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Near the death zone on K2, the world’s second-highest mountain, Lisa Thompson searched for the strength to continue climbing. Her choices were clear: give in to her doubts and descend or push past her own limits and continue up the mountain’s steep face.

Defiance had provoked Thompson to enter the male-dominated world of high-altitude mountaineering, but defiance could only take her so far. After a harrowing battle with cancer, Lisa realized she needed to understand what motivated her to take greater and greater risks in the mountains. Finding Elevation chronicles Thompson’s path from novice climber to world-class mountaineer, as she becomes the second American woman to summit K2, which is considered by many to be the most dangerous mountain in the world.

More than a climbing memoir, Finding Elevation is a deeply personal examination of motivation and the human spirit. It is a story of what can happen when we finally stop letting others define our limits and instead trust that we are capable of more. In this inspiring book, Thompson reaches beyond the mountain to tell a story of heartbreak, resilience, and the discovery that we are responsible for defining our own boundaries, finding our own happiness, and facing our fears head-on.

A Note From the Publisher

Book Goodreads page is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61254018-finding-elevation

Advance Praise

“Beautifully written, Lisa Thompson’s Finding Elevation takes us through her story arc that anyone climbing a physical or proverbial mountain can relate to. From frustration to despondency, leading to hope, exploration, and self-discovery, Lisa inspires us not to give in to our doubts. With every step, deep breath, and occasional fall, she motivates us with the tools to push past our limits and find the courage to decide who we want to be despite the challenges and obstacles so prevalent in our lives.” —Chuck Garcia, CEO of Climb Leadership International, adjunct professor at Columbia University, and amateur mountaineer

“An honest and gripping look at the world of high-altitude mountaineering by one of America’s finest alpinists.” —Johanna Garton, author of Edge of the Map

“Thompson gives readers an intimate view into the world of high-altitude mountaineering. She writes honestly about struggling to balance fear while exploring her own limits.”  —Garrett Madison, world’s premier Everest guide and expedition leader

Marketing Plan

Prepublication buzz campaign

Digital galley distribution on Edelweiss and NetGalley

Trade advertising

Target outreach to media, blogs, podcasts

Author has pending partnership with Title Nine (athletic wear company) that will include blog posts, social media and in-store events

Pre-order campaign to author's email database

Author website: https://www.lisaclimbs.com

Listing and pricing promotions run through GFB's Aerio store

Social media posts to support pre-order, book launch, and book reviews to authors combined 10k social media followers

Author will incorporate the book as part of her future speaking engagements

Author is leading an all-women charity climb of Cholatse in Nepal in November '22 , which is receiving significant media attention.

Prepublication buzz campaign

Digital galley distribution on Edelweiss and NetGalley

Trade advertising

Target outreach to media, blogs, podcasts

Author has pending partnership with Title Nine (athletic...

ISBN 9781954854673
PAGES 244

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I read a lot of books on mountaineering. Ever since reading Into Thin Air, it's a sport that I find very intriguing, but am definitely too afraid to actually do despite enjoying other endurance activities. Most books are written by third parties and focus on deaths and severe hardships of tackling the world's highest peaks. This book represents a refreshing change to the genre. First, it's a memoir, and written by a woman. She brings a fresh perspective! Her focus is much more on the "why" of climbing, which is something I'm very curious about. Why risk your life to stand on top of a mountain?

Lisa shares these psychological aspects of the sport in edition to sharing her experience of climbing K2, arguably the hardest mountain to tackle. She's an engaging storyteller, and I read this book in just a few days. The suspense is mitigated a bit by the fact that you know she survives to "tell the tale", but it was offset by her personal story of growing up in a family where she never quite felt she was enough.

Very good and unique addition to the books exploring this sport.

A life of adventures

"Tenuously standing thousands of feet above Seattle forced me to release control. Not to lose it, but to release it to a mountain that would always be bigger and fiercer than me. With control out of the way that morning, I felt its counterbalance: freedom."

Lisa Thompson didn't grow up in the mountains. Instead, in her home state of Illinois, she spent her days exploring woods and cornfields. The first person in her family to go to college, she became an engineer and moved to Seattle. It is there that she started climbing mountains, ultimately climbing Mount Everest, completing the seven summits and being the second American woman to summit K2. In this book, she shares how she got drawn to climbing mountains.

I really enjoyed Lisa's life story, especially the 8000m peaks she summited and her struggle with self worth and self doubt, as well as her fight with cancer. Her writing is quite captivating. I wish she'd also mention her other mountaineering feats in the book, as it mostly covers the pacific northwest, Manaslu, Everest and K2. She never really even mentions completing the seven summits. Overall, this a fascinating book for those who enjoy reading about mountaineering.

I love a good nonfiction book, but lately I’ve struggled with rating my reading experience. I read for enjoyment. Rating a true story feels like judging. But who am I to judge? All I will ever climb are stairs and here I am writing down my 5 cents about tough mountaineer? Ha!

But it’s fine. Completely fine. Because I loved every page of “finding elevation” and as picky a reader I can be, here I came across a fantastic read.

The author grabs your attention right from the start. The writing is outstanding! A story of heartbreak, struggle and suffering. But also a story about passion, determination and success. Lisa wrote about relationships as well and here I felt so much raw emotion. But she writes with honesty and respect, such a rare, beautiful combination. I rooted for her, but there’s no need. She wins multiple battles AND wrote a book about it that is just awesome. Go ahead and read it.