Bicycling with Butterflies

My 10,201-Mile Journey Following the Monarch Migration

Pub Date 14 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 14 Feb 2023

Talking about this book? Use #BicyclingwithButterflies #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Science, nature, and adventure come together in this riveting account of a solo bike trip along the migratory path of the monarch butterfly.

Sara Dykman made history when she became the first person to bicycle alongside monarch butterflies on their storied annual migration—a round-trip adventure that included three countries and more than 10,000 miles. Equally remarkable, she did it solo, on a bike cobbled together from used parts.

In Bicycling with Butterflies—praised as “poetic” (Publishers Weekly) and called “a collective cry for climate action” (Booklist)—Dykman recounts her incredible journey. We’re beside her as she navigates unmapped roads in foreign countries, checks roadside milkweed for monarch eggs, and shares her passion with eager schoolchildren, skeptical bar patrons, and unimpressed border officials. We also meet some of the ardent monarch stewards who supported her efforts, from citizen scientists and researchers to farmers and high-rise city dwellers.

With both humor and humility, Dykman offers a compelling story, confirming the urgency of saving the threatened monarch migration—and the other threatened systems of nature that affect the survival of us all.

Sara Dykman made history when she became the first person...

PAGES 280

Bicycling with Butterflies: My 10,201-Mile Journey Following the Monarch Migration is one of the most amazing and heart felt books I have read in a long time. I followed sara's journey journey on Google maps as I read along. I enjoyed all her adventures and the wonderful people she met along the way. It is so inspiring to hear about the good people who are focussed on conservation and who are willing to spend their time saving the Monarch butterflies and the planet in general. It has also been a wonderful education for me to learn the details of these amazing creatures and their long migration. It has also highlighted the delicate balance of everything, and how the little things we do (often ignorantly) can affect the gentle balance of the planet.. I loved the writing style and the balance and structure of the book. A wonderful book, an amazing journey, and an outstanding lady who had the inspiration and the shear grit to do it. This book and the wonderful monarch butterflies will stay in my heart for a long long time even though I am on the other side of the world. I hope the world will embrace and read this book and take the spirit of it into other adventures and creative ideas for conservation and making a difference to our beautiful planet. xx

This book was just so inspiring to read, and at the same time, so informative. Sara allows the reader to follow her journey with the monarchs, in such beautiful detail, and gives as a thorough insight, into how she felt, who she met, and what nature surrounding her, was like.
I did know a little about the monarch butterfly before reading this book, but never did I dream that this beautiful creature, was in such dire straights.
One thing that I learned, and was surprised by, was that a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope.
I think that any person, who loves butterflies, especially monarchs, will enjoy this book, written so amazingly by Sara. I would certainly like to buy a copy, as soon as I can.
Thank you to Sara, and to the publisher, for allowing me to read this advanced copy.

A must read for any cyclists and environmentalists. This story of Sara's incredible journey following the monarch migration is beautifully written and narrative enjoyable to read. Sara did an incredible job of being informative while entertaining, allowing us along the ride to meet the kind people putting in the work, and clarifying the delicate balance of our ecosystem.
Looking forward to seeing this on the shelves and recommending to others. Thank you so much for your book sara!

Sara Dykman writes about her great adventures, riding her bicycle, chasing butterflies, and sharing her insights into the wonderful world of the Monarch butterfly. Bicycling with Butterflies is one of my favorite books that I have read in the past year. Genuine, inspiring, and enlightening. Her effort and consistent drive help us understand an important figure in the air and in plant life. She researched all of her places to visit while communicating with other experts. Her presentations of butterfly stories to kids and teachers make her journeys more worthwhile.

A simple expectation derived out of genuine interest to protect a threatened species compels her to write with vigor as much as she pedals across two countries. Balancing writing and pedaling can be exhausting. With regards to bush camping or camo-camping, congrats to Sara for her free will to exercise a natural right to rest in nature. Most people will never achieve this type of greatness and in the name of an insect, I fully respect and admire her determination and reason to ride and write. Ride and write on Sara!

Thank you to Sara and Timber Press for the copy to review.

Thanks to Netgalley and Timber Press for ARC of this!

This was both interesting and depressing to hear about how these beautiful creatures and their impressive migration are at risk from the behavior of humans. The author notes that her privilege keeps her safe and able to complete her journey at a few points, but I was struck by it so many times. I don’t know if it’s an idea that our society has forced into me, but the times that she chooses to camp in private property had me feeling icky. Overall this was an impressive feat and an interesting story.