Behind Closed Doors

Pub Date 06 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 20 Dec 2022
Amazon Publishing UK, Thomas & Mercer

Talking about this book? Use #BehindClosedDoors #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Two kidnappings, thirty years apart. Can Stacey face her own dark past in order to save her stepdaughter?

When Stacey’s ex-husband turns up on her doorstep begging her to help save his kidnapped thirteen-year-old daughter, Lyra, the terror is all too familiar. Stacey’s own violent kidnapping thirty years ago was never solved, and while a severe case of amnesia spares her from recalling the specific horrors, she remembers enough…

Stacey knows her father never paid the ransom—she has the missing pinkie finger to prove it. She knows she was only saved because of an anonymous tip-off to the police. And she knows her captor was never apprehended.

Lyra’s kidnappers have made it clear the police must not get involved. But Stacey can’t shake the eerie similarities between the two cases, and she’ll use whatever she can, from her journalistic powers to her shady contacts, to save Lyra from the same nightmare. Desperate to find any link between Lyra’s abduction and her own, Stacey forces herself to revisit her forgotten, traumatic past for clues.

But can she make sense of the terrible secrets she unearths in time to save Lyra? And if she does, is she ready to face her own tormentor?

A Note From the Publisher

Carol Wyer is a USA Today bestselling author and winner of the People’s Book Prize Award. Her crime novels have sold over one million copies and have been translated into nine languages.

A move from humour to the ‘dark side’ in 2017, with the introduction of popular DI Robyn Carter in Little Girl Lost, proved that Carol had found her true niche.

February 2021 saw the release of the first in the much-anticipated new series featuring DI Kate Young. An Eye for an Eye was chosen as a Kindle First Reads and became the #1 bestselling book on Amazon UK and Amazon Australia.

Carol has had articles published in national magazines such as Woman’s Weekly, and has been featured in Take a Break, Choice, Yours and Woman’s Own and in HuffPost. She’s also been interviewed on numerous radio shows, and on Sky and BBC Breakfast television.

She currently lives on a windy hill in rural Staffordshire with her husband, Mr Grumpy…who is very, very grumpy.

To learn more, go to www.carolwyer.co.uk, subscribe to her YouTube channel, or follow her on Twitter: @carolewyer.

A move...

Advance Praise

“A twisty whodunit wrapped in a thriller that will keep you behind closed doors until the final, shocking revelation.” —Lee Goldberg, author of the Eve Ronin series

PRICE £8.99 (GBP)
PAGES 336

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

In this heart wrenching book, Stacey is forced to relive the darkest period of her life. It had been thirty years, but being kidnapped as a teen is something she could never forget. Things get all too real when she shockingly discovers that her former stepdaughter Lyra has been kidnapped. Although no longer married to Lyra's father Jack, the bond Stacey has with Lyra is as strong as ever.

A half million pounds as well as no contact with the police and Jack just might get Lyra back safely. This message was delivered via a video that Jack has shared with Stacey. Jack is determined to cooperate by not calling the police as instructed, so he begs for Stacey to help him to gather the ransom amount and to try and find Lyra. Jack is banking on Stacey's past traumatic experiences as a way to get her to help him. Reluctantly, Stacey agrees, despite having very little time to follow instructions.

What a thrilling story! Although the two kidnap situations were decades apart, Stacey's experiences seemed as tentative and as shocking as Lyra's. It was impossible not to feel for both of them as they were hoping for rescue. I read this standalone thriller by Carol Wyer with bated breath. The intensity of the story, as well as the experiences Stacey endured throughout her life left me filled with compassion. If you want a book that will keep you reading late into the night, and also to want to hold your loved ones a bit tighter, look no further than Behind Closed Doors.

Many thanks to Carol Wyer, Thomas & Mercer and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Thank you NetGalley for this advanced copy. I have been a fan of Carol's Natalie Ward series, so I thought I would give this a try. Stacy was kidnapped 30 years ago and now must relive that experience to try to help her ex-stepdaughter, Lyra. While there were some shocks to this book, I felt it was entirely way too long. I ended up jumping to different parts as it was just too slow moving for me.

this was a suspenseful atmosphere going on, it had a great start and did what was promised from the description. I enjoyed the way Carol Wyer wrote this and I loved the way she wrote her characters. It was my first book from the author and I want to read more from her.

‘They must have seen us together. They said on the phone “it was unfortunate”. You were told not to contact the police. Maybe they see my involvement as some sort of betrayal on your part. It could be another warning for us to toe the line.’ Her heart bashed against her ribcage as she spoke. She prayed she was right, that Lyra’s kidnapping was not her fault."

Thirty years ago Stacey endures a horrifying kidnapping and the criminals responsible are never caught. The experience leaves her with dissociative amnesia and just a few flickering and fleeting memories. What she does know with absolute certainty is that her father never pays a ransom. In the present day and now an investigative journalist in Lancaster, it seems history may repeat itself when her ex-husband Jack knocks on her door. His daughter Lyra, who Stacey really cares about, has also been kidnapped, the ransom demand is for half a million pounds and no police. Jack appeals for her help and she agrees which ultimately forces her to take a deep dive into her traumatic past in the search for clues.

This is yet another gripping and chilling read from Carol Wyer. I really like the way the author fuses the past with the present and the manner she chooses to tell of Stacey’s ordeal works well and is most effective. You wonder, just as Stacey does, if she can trust her ‘memories’ or if she is transposing given the current situation. Once her utterly shocking story emerges it’s little wonder she erases it from her memory.

There are plenty of discordant off notes with some behaviour that is strange and doesn’t entirely add up and your suspicion antenna twitches north, south, east and west. In addition there are some red herrings that put you off the scent. The characterisation is good, you grow to utterly admire Stacey and despise others. I love the setting in and around Morecambe Bay and the city of Lancaster and all locations are used really well to add atmosphere and moments of tension.

Although I figure out part of the plot, never fear the author has plenty of surprises to keep her readers of their toes! It’s an intense, compelling read with some bone chilling moments which amounts to a novel I find hard to put down.

Stacey survived a traumatic kidnapping as a young girl and it has haunted her since, remembering only scraps of the event. Now thirty years later her stepdaughter is going through almost exactly the same ordeal. Stacey needs to find her. Can it really be happening, is it a copy cat, is it a coincidence? This stand alone thriller, by one of my go-to authors, is tense, with several good twists and a great ending. Thanks for another great read!

This book single handedly kept me sane whilst stuck on a plane for an extra 2hrs before we even took off! This is definitely one of those that gets under yout skin and jusy makes you completely forget the outside world. The characters were so well smitten and wee rounded that you can picture them crystal clear and they do provoke that emotion response, whether is be empathy or just sheer frustration fro the delightful ex hubby!!! The twists and turns really made it so unexpected and i just loved every second

This was really not for me. I deeply wanted the characters to behave so differently. All of their choices just felt wrong, and I wanted to shake them.

Fast-paced crime thriller. I am giving this book 4 stars. I was invested in the story and couldn’t wait to see who the kidnappers were.

The main character Stacey is a strong woman and has awful luck with the men in her life. It was tough at times to read about the torture she was subjected to as a young girl. This has shaped who she is as an adult and her relationships.

If you enjoy thrillers and suspenseful books then give this one a try. Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy to read and review.

Wow! So many crazy twists! This book had suspense, intrigue, action, and many twists and turns! The storyline was very interesting and had me glued to my Kindle! I will definitely recommend reading this book as it was well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

I would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I have been a fan of Carol’s books for quite awhile and they never seem to disappoint. When Stacey’s ex husband Jack’s daughter is kidnapped, she is willing to do anything to help him, even if it means reliving her own kidnapping many decades ago. Are they past and present intertwining and what is Stacey missing that she just can’ seem to put her finger on. The clock is ticking to find his daughter before it’s too late, but at what cost? An interesting read from beginning to end with a twist I didn’t see coming.

Well written novel but I just couldn't get into the story. Did not finish the book but can see others loving this

A big fan of all the author’s three crime series, I expected this to be good, but this excelled all my expectations.
It starts with a bang that grabs you and doesn’t let you go as it hurtles along, a rollercoaster of suspense. I read this in one day and I definitely wasn’t putting it down until I’d got to the end.
When Stacey’s ex husband turns up on her doorstep distraught because his daughter Lyra has been kidnapped, in addition to fearing for Lyra, she’s transported back to her own kidnap some thirty years before. Surely the two cases couldn’t possibly be connected? As time runs out for Lyra, Stacey must get to the truth and to do so not only face her own demons but those of whom should have protected and loved her most. Is there anyone in her life that she can really trust?
A brilliant standalone from this oh so talented author

This book has so many twists and turns. Its the PERFECT thriller for a rainy day. I found myself needing a 2nd bowl of my snack because I couldn't put it down. I would def recommend!

Although I did enjoy this read and the ending did have a few surprise twists and turns for me it did feel a little too long in the middle but I'm guessing that without those slower, finding her truths pages, Stacey might not have stumbled upon the ending.
I thought the characters were interesting and their drives varied enough to not make it glaringly obvious from the start what is really happening. I had to kind of read between the lines to have an idea about how it would end and even then I'd only guessed a small part of the twisty finale!
This was an interesting read and so if you think you would enjoy it from the 'blurb' I'd say to give it a go, it's worth reading!

what a fantastic read, thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book. I could not put it down.

An OK read.

A journalist was kidnapped in her childhood and the experience has left her with amnesia, although, she does have flashbacks occasionally. The book begins with her ex husband turning up out of the blue and frantic with worry as his daughter has also been kidnapped. What follows is a mixed bag of family secrets and lies. I found it fantastical and frustrating as a whole, but, with some interesting elements.

Overall, an easy, OK read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the opportunity to preview.

I received a free copy of, Behind Closed Doors, by Carol Wyer, from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Stacey was kidnapped when she was younger, she never really got over it either. When her ex calls her to help her find a kidnapped child, it all comes back to Stacey. This book was way too disturbing for me, being sent Lyra's finger, was too over the top for me.

This book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review. From the beginning, the book was intriguing, if somewhat gory. That aspect did take away from the story…it was difficult reading after what happened to the character at the start. However, this book is an intriguing mystery with red herrings. Surprises…secrets…likable characters and some not so much.

Journalist Stacey O'Hara survived being kidnapped as a child - minus one finger taken by her captor. But amnesia means that most of the details are unknown to her. So when Stacey's ex-husband Jack seeks her help when his daughter goes missing, she is invested. And when a ransom note is delivered, she has to find young Lyra.

Stacey uses her investigative skills and some specialist contacts but finds little to help. But she becomes increasingly convinced that the kidnapping is somehow linked to her own experiences. So she undergoes hypnosis to try to free her buried memories.

Behind Closed Doors works well as a standalone thriller. A number of suspects are identified and then ruled out before the truth is revealed. But the investigation brings up many unpleasant truths for Stacey.

The narrative arc is sweeping, covering two time periods, and the character development is well written. Stacey is a sympathetic and engaging lead, and the reader is pulled into her story as she tries to find both her missing stepdaughter and her own past.

Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the eARC.
The main subject of this book is the kidnapping of two young women, a subject I found quite disturbing because of the graphic descriptions. Plus, the book didn't pull me in, I got a bit bored early on and didn't finish the read. I had read several of the author's other books and liked them, but this one just didn't do it for me.

A great standard novel by one of my favourite authors.
A journalist had been the victim of a kidnapping when she was a child, a finger and part of an ear had been sent to her family but her father refused to pay the ransom, she’s never forgiven him.
30 years later and she answers a knock at the door, it’s her ex, his daughter, her step daughter has been kidnapped and the person that took her has said they’ll kill here if the police are informed.
Using her journalistic contacts she starts the search, but it’s bringing back repressed memories.
Is it a coincidence that her step daughter has been taken.
Is it a simple kidnapping.
This is a great thriller with lots of twists and turns

Thanks to netgalley for letting me review this book.. WHen Stacey's ex husband turns up on her doorstep and begs for her help in finding his daughter lyla. Stacey was kidnapped 30 years ago and her kidnapper was never found, she remembers enough about her kidnapping that her dad never paid the ransom to get her released. She wont let that happen to lyla.. Do they save lyla? Who has done this? Could it be the same person who took stacey?
Lots of twists and turns, i was on the edge of my seat. There were also the I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING moments. Highley recommend

The new Carol Wyer…oh, yes please! I do love a book by this author and will move my books around just to make space for one of hers! This book is a standalone read and we get to meet Stacey, a journalist. She is dragged into a tense and frightening situation when her ex-husband, Jack tells her that her stepdaughter, Lyra has been taken and held for ransom. He asks Stacey for help but doesn’t want to endanger Lyra any further by involving the police!

Straight away, this book had me hooked! I liked Stacey’s character but did find myself shouting at her to just call the police, let them deal with it!! Stacey has a lot of baggage from her childhood, having experienced the same fate that Lyra is currently facing. I’ve got to say though that she’s one gutsy character, facing her demons to help save another always deserves a big metaphorical pat on the back. I didn’t though like her ex-husband, Jack but gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout in the hope that he would redeem himself! I did feel for him at times, his daughter is missing and he’s having to find a huge amount of money, which he hasn’t got, to save her – I can really understand why he behaved like he did sometimes!

The author has again managed to produce a book which keeps the tension and suspense high right from the beginning. The writing had me not only trying to guess who was involved but also had me swapping and changing my mind as the storyline moved along! The timeline changes between present day and Stacey’s younger years, and this gives you a different perspective to Stacey’s character. The storyline is a little graphic at times and it does feature scenes of harm to a child, but it is all written in context with the story. This was a cracking read which I really enjoyed. There were lots of twists and turns, it kept me guessing and amazed me with the ending! Would I recommend?...hell, yeah!!

A past kidnapping and a current one. The similarities are eerie. Stacey has many buried memories from her abduction, but as they work their way to the surface can she believe them? When her stepdaughter, Lyra, is abducted and Stacey's ex pleads for her help to rescue his daughter, the past is thrown into the open.

Carol nailed it with this one. Yes, there are disturbing events. Yes, there are plot twists. A deep secret or two make for some interesting skeletons lurking in the closets.

If you plan on reading this one at night, I'd recommend leaving a light on.

Thanks to Thomas and Mercer and NetGalley for an advance copy of Behind Closed Doors in exchange for an honest review.

Enjoyed it and would give the book 3.5 stars. I loved the Detective Natalie Ward and the Detective Kate Young series, so I was excited to read this. It was a great mystery/thriller that kept me guessing until the end. From the start I was suspicious of Jack. Who wouldn't go to the police when their child is kidnapped? I questioned everything he did and he always seemed to be hiding something. Stacey constantly caught him in lies. Jack and Stacey's father were so much alike. Both were horrible people. Henry could have saved his daughter, but refused to pay the ransom. Stacey doesn't remember much from her kidnapping that occurred twenty years ago. With Lyra's disappearance, snippets are coming back to her. Therapy didn't work for her in the past, put with the help of the hypnotherapist, Stacey starts remembering her terrible ordeal. The ending was CRAZY and I wasn't expecting everything that was revealed!!! What is wrong with people??? The worst part is that people knew who kidnapped Stacey and did nothing to help her. Throughout the whole book I kept shouting (in my head)- just go to he police!!!! Stacey told so many people about Lyra being kidnapped. Why didn't they alert the authorities? Especially the therapist. All around it was a great book.

Definitely recommend the book. Enjoyed the characters, story and writing style. The lengths people will go to for money is scary. All the planning and scheming. Look forward to reading more books by the author. Hopefully there will be a new detective series!!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Amazon Publishing UK, through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Stacey gets a desperate plea for help from her abusive ex husband. His daughter that she is close to has been kidnapped. She herself had been kidnapped as a child and has the scars from it but very little memory. In her attempts to save her step daughter, she forces herself to remember as she becomes convinced the two kidnappings are connected. Most of the book focused on the details of trying to find the money, trying to find the kidnappers and rescue her. There were some relationship secrets and family secrets to be revealed. This book wasn't my favorite of this author,

Well written with an engaging storyline that kept me gripped and well developed characters. The storyline had some moments that were utterly heart wreching and other moments that had me on the edge of my seat. Twisty and a good level of unpredictability. I enjoyed it.

Thirty years on from her own kidnapping of which no perpetrators were ever caught, Stacey finds herself reliving her situation when she discovers her Step Daughter has also been kidnapped. Her ex husband Jack has been sent video evidence of kidnapping but does not want to involve the Police. Taking on an investigative role Carol reaches into the depths of her mind to save Lyra but will it all be in vain and too late?
Whilst I enjoyed this novel and found it to be an interesting read I did feel that it could have been condensed slightly. In my opinion it seemed to drag in places and many of the conversations with Jack were repetitive.

Love Carol Wyer and follow her detective books, this release took me a while to get into but loved it, the storyline and the characters.

Wow!! Super enticing and thrilling!! Had me completely wrapped me up in the story! There were certain things I didn’t like about some of the characters but I guess that just added element to the book!

Stacey has just been blindsided by her ex-husband, Jack – his teenage daughter, Lyra, has been kidnapped and he’s begging for her assistance. Although she and Jack have not been together for a few years, she is still close to Lyra and wants to do whatever she can to get her back. While she has misgivings about working with Jack, he’s firmly against going to the police, per the instructions he has received. And she knows exactly how unhelpful the authorities can be, as they were of no use when she herself was kidnapped as a teenager. She becomes convinced that the two crimes must be related, even though everyone she confides in disagrees. But her kidnapper was never found, so to Stacey, it just makes sense.

As neither she nor Jack has anywhere near the ransom amount the kidnappers are demanding, she decides to track Lyra down herself before time is up. She’s a journalist, so she has all manner of contacts and favors owed to her, to assist in the search. It was a little too convenient for me, as any normal person wouldn’t have all these resources, like the hacker that can find anything at almost a drop of the hat. Her position as a senior reporter allows her to conveniently be away from her office most of the time, so work isn’t a hindrance, either.

The story is told in the present with flashbacks to the time around her kidnapping. She blocked out most of her memories about the experience, so she attempts to recover them however possible to uncover any connections with Lyra’s disappearance. What she discovers about her family is way beyond dysfunctional and cements her determination to locate Lyra. Just wait until you see how it turns out!

Another great storyline from one of my favourite authors. It had me gripped from the first page with plenty of twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. An excellent standalone book that I would recommend.

Stacey was kidnapped when she was a teenager. The kidnapper was never caught. Now, history is repeating itself. Her step daughter has been taken, and Stacey's ex husband is pleading for Stacey to help.

Stacey has very few memories of her abduction, the trauma has wiped her memory, and sees a therapist to help her remember. She feels that the person that kidnapped her has returned, but she cannot fathom out why her step daughter has been taken.

She has shady contacts who assist her to find links so that she can save Lyra before Lyra loses her life.

This is a gripping thriller, Carol Wyer's has a talent to tell a story and keep the reader on the edge of their seat.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

thank you to the publisher and netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review

a great plot that keeps you guessing until the very end.

This is my first read of a Carol Wyer novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story got a grip of me early on and I struggled to put the book down.

Stacey’s ex husbands thirteen year old daughter is kidnapped and her ex turns to her for help. The ordeal is very poignant due to Stacey herself suffering the same crime thirty years ago. Stacey’s kidnapping was never solved and due to the trauma has suffered a severe case of amnesia. She is unable to recall the details of her own kidnapping.

In Stacey’s case her father never paid the ransom and the kidnappers removed one of her fingers as a result. Stacey was saved when the police received an anonymous tip off. Her ex step daughter Lyra’s kidnappers have made it clear the police must not be involved but Stacey knows she needs help. There are similarities between the two kidnaps and Stacey who has a journalist background is determined to use her contacts to investigate wherever she can.

This was an enjoyable read and left me wanting to read more of the authors books.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Amazon Publishing for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Stacy was kidnapped 30 years ago and now must relive that experience to try to help her ex-stepdaughter, Lyra who is just 13 years old.
I loved this book. It is filled with 'hold your breath' moments and thrilling drama. I loved the red herrings that took the reader down one path only to shock with what happens next.
This is a book that chills, thrills and excites and for me it was a one sit read.
It was amazing to read

I have read books by this author before so was excited to read this one! It didn’t have me quite as gripped as the others but then the last 10% had me gasping out loud in shock! So glad I stuck with it..

Nearly 30 years ago Stacey was kidnapped. It's a trauma from which she has never fully recovered. Mainly her mind has blocked out details to protect herself.
Now her ex-husband is at the door. His daughter Lyra her beloved step daughter. There are many similarities. Jack doesn't want any police involvement. Can Stacey delve into the deep recesses of her mind to stir memories that could help Lyra.
This was an engaging read. Although I suspected early on who was involved I loved the way the story evolved. A very quick read.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to see an ARC

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of this book.

30 years ago Stacey was kidnapped. She lost her finger and part of her ear, before a police officer stumbled across her by chance.

Now Lyra, Stacey’s step daughter by her ex husband Jack, has disappeared. Messages from the kidnappers are very familiar. Can Stacey unlock her past and find Lyra?

I really enjoyed this stand alone book. I had so many theories for who the kidnapper was and every one was proven wrong as this story twisted and turned. A true thriller keeping me guessing right until the end. Jack truly was an unlikeable character and I found myself really rooting for Stacey. Loved that we switched between present day and Stacey’s memories too. 5 stars!

I love all this authors previous books so was looking forward to this standalone, however, it just wasn't for me, was a bit repetitive and predictable, I wasn't a fan of the characters. However I will look forward to reading more from this author.

After really enjoying other books by Carol Wyer, I was looking forward to reading this advance copy but unfortunately, it wasn't for me.
The plot was predictable, the characters infuriating and the plot was just too slow for me but I kept reading expecting the story to pick up and take a turn.....unfortunately, for me, it just didn't.

A thrilling page-turner
Stacy is a brilliant character
A kidnapping that seems to mirror one from decades ago
Can Stacy save her stepdaughter before it's too late?
There are lots of twists to the plot throughout
Keeps you on the edge of your seat
Thrilling stuff
Carol Wyer is one of my favourite authors
Highly recommended!

Behind Closed Doors by Carol Wyer kept me up way too late last night!

Wyer has written a riveting novel. Its fast-paced plot was filled with it all... intrigue, suspense, and secrets.
The suspense kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
There were twists and turns throughout that had me holding my breath.
Carol Wyer skillfully ratchets up the suspense here.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Amazon Publishing UK,
Thank You for your generosity and approving this eARC!

I knew this book was going to be good I mean this is Carol Wyer right and as far as I’m concerned she is one of the best authors out there but wow with this book she excelled herself.
The story starts with Stacy’s ex husband turning up at her door in a state o panic his thirteen year old daughter Lyra from a previous marriage has been kidnapped and he begs tor Stacy’s help as she herself had been kidnapped some thirty years previous. With Stacy struggling with her deeply buried memories of horrific abuse at her kidnappers hands the book really gets off to rip roaring start and I raced through it eager to find out how it was all going to end.
Secrets, lies and long and memories coming to the surface this was one hell of a great read for me, the writing was brilliant I loved the characters and thought the plot line was so well thought out so many thanks to Carol for another fabulous read.
My thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. This is the first book I have read by this author.

We follow the protagonist, Stacey, as she is on a chase against time to save her daughter in law from her kidnapper, being forced to work together with her estranged ex-husband who continues to manipulate and take advantage of her.

As a child, Stacey herself was kidnapped and her father was blackmailed to pay a ransom to release her, which he reluctantly didn't pay. Living with the disappoint and lack of trust in her father, memories of her past come back to haunt her - is her childhood kidnapper back for more?

Stacey and her therapist try hypnotherapy to delve deeper into her locked memories to help find clues about the identity and whereabouts of the kidnapper. As we uncover her past, we learn of her mother and fathers tumultuous relationship and the disaster that came of their betrayel.

This book was fast paced, pulls you in from page 1, really keeps you guessing until the very end and ends with a punch! I particularly enjoyed reading about her ex-husband Jack and his narcissistic, abusive personality and how he plays on Stacey's emotions to manipulate her.

Would highly recommend if you're into crime fiction and books that really keep you guessing whodunnit!

As a teen Stacey was kidnapped and held for ransom, losing a finger and part of her ear in the process. She always blamed her father for not paying the ransom, and police the police for suggesting he shouldn't. Thirty years later her ex-husband, Jack, asks for her help after his daughter is kidnapped for ransom. He thinks she can help because of her experience being kidnapped and because she is an investigative journalist.

Ugh, I so dislike writing bad reviews but this book just didn't do it for me. The fact that none of these fathers want to go to the police just didn't fly with me. I also found Stacey's amnesia hard to believe. And the flickering "cinema" images of her memory coming back was a little over the top. The book takes place over four days and the chapters are separated by each day. It is told in the present tense with "flashbacks" of Stay's lost memories. The storyline was really out there, I mean how many times can one person get away with kidnapping teenage girls!!?? I found this really slow-going, unbelievable, and repetitive. I am really sorry to the author who put so much into this work of fiction but it really wasn't my cup of tea.

I have read and loved so many Carol Wyer books but I just couldn't get on with this one so I have stopped.

The opening should have grabbed my attention but it was just super repetitive, frustrating and almost unbelievable. Despite the situation there was just no real emotion. It felt a bit clumsy.

I've read enough books to know when I won't enjoy one and I instinctively.knew that I wasn't going to be able to finish this one.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book by Carol Wyer.

This is the second book which I have read by Carol Wyer and it didn't disappoint!

I loved Stacey's character, she is so very strong and wanted to get to the bottom of the kidnapping but in doing so, she had to deal with lots of demons from her past, as well as events happening under her nose. She couldn't even rely on her ex husband - yes he is definitely an ex for a reason and also couldn't rely on her father.

This book had lots of twists and turns in it, all of which I didn't see coming, so thank you Carol Wyer for a great, gripping read!!!

Stacey's past abruptly comes back when her former stepdaughter is abducted and her ex husband asks for her help. She will have to live her trauma again and discover much more than she'd expected.

Carol built a solid plot based on how relationships evolve and work in real life, sometimes taking people to very dangerous situations. Stacey's story is a reminder of how callous people suffering from a narcissistic personality disorder (trigger warning!) can be.

What I appreciated most is Carol's ability to totally throw you off the scent with small psychological details that make your mind change quickly about who's the culprit.

Behind Closed Doors is the novel from Carol Wyer. Having enjoyed her previous books I was eager to read this standalone thriller and was not disappointed. I was hooked from the beginning and found it to be fast paced, gripping and unputdownable. Thank you to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and the author for the chance to review.

This was a DNF (did not finish) at the 30% mark. I struggled to connect to any of the characters, and Jack's straight out instance that there be no police involvement was very suspicious and grew frustrating really quickly. The plot was slow, alternating between flashbacks for Stacey and what was currently happening to Lyra. With no real forward movement in the plot, unlikeable and unreliable characters, I was unable to generate any interest in continuing to read to find out if there was any connection with Stacey's past and what was happening to Lyra.

A tense thriller that was great to read. However, it felt a little bit too long and dragged out for me towards the end.

Fantastic new book with new characters twisted to the new kept me on my toes. Well written as usual by Carol Wyer high you expect when reading her work.
A kidnapping gone wrong years ago springs up again with Lyra Stacey’s stepdaughter being kidnapped. But all along something is not quite right. Stacey is forced to bring back painful memories of her own ordeal 30 years ago but is it the same person?
Fantastic plot which kept me guessing right to the end.
Highly recommended read

I found the beginning of this book a bit slow to start, but it's worth reading once it gets going. There are plenty of twists. I partially guessed 'who did it' but that was mainly because the way the character was written made them seem 'off' (at least in my opinion), which was probably the intention. One to re-read to see if I missed any other clues

Stacey knows her father never paid the ransom she has the missing pinkie finger to prove it. She knows she was only saved because of an anonymous tip-off to the police. And she knows her captor was never apprehended.
Really enjoyable read totally recommend
Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing Uk
I just reviewed Behind Closed Doors by Carol Wyer. #BehindClosedDoors #NetGalley

For the most part I enjoyed this book. It took some dark turns that I loved. But it also held some things that felt . . . A bit too far fetched. I hated the dads. And the story dragged in so many places that I struggled to Gey through. In the end, an okay read.

I really do love Carol Wyers crime novels and characters. Behind Closed Doors is a standalone book, and yet again she had me turning those pages as fast I as I could, needing to know what would happen. I had some ideas of what was happening but as always, I was way off the mark on most of them! Another compulsive and clever story that I highly recommend.

30 years ago, Stacey was kidnapped. She was left traumatized and missing body parts. He father, a well-known and respected judge, refused to pay the ransom and she has never forgiven him for that. Her memories of what happened during that time are hazy, with small snippets coming back to her at random times. She is now working as an investigative journalist in Lancaster. When her ex-husband, Jake, knocks on her door frantic with worry, she isn't sure what to do. That is until she discovers that his daughter, Lyla, has been taken and the kidnappers are demanding a ransom of half a million pounds. Stacey and Lyla always had a close relationship, despite them not being blood relatives. Now Stacey must use all of her contacts and knowledge to find the girl before she is hurt...or worse. The situation feels far too close to her own experience, and she needs to remember in order to help Lyla.

An explosive ending will shock and disturb you. I was worried for Stacey and her mental health, but she was the kind of person who could not let it go. Another fantastic read from Carol Wyer.

Thanks to Amazon Publishing UK and Netgalley for my advanced copy to read. Published on December 6th.

A reporter who was kidnapped thirty years ago finds herself racing against time to save her stepdaughter who seemingly was also just kidnapped for ransom. Is this coincidence or does her kidnapping from all those years ago relate to this?

I enjoyed this book but found myself kind of speed reading through it at times. The concept was good but the writing just didn't hold my attention. I found it a little obvious who was involved right off the bat. Overall I don't like giving negative reviews but this one was just "meh" for me. Two and a half rounded up to Three Stars because it wasn't terrible, just okay.

Thank you to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for this ARC.

Some thirty years ago, Stacey is kidnapped and the criminals responsible are never caught. Fast forward to present day, and Stacy receives a visit from her ex-husband, Jack, telling her that his daughter Lyra has also been kidnapped. What follows is a race against time to find out who has kidnapped Lyra, and what a thrilling race it is!

This is another absorbing (and chilling) read from Carol Wyer. The characters are well developed and believable - I took an instant dislike to Jack, who frequently displays conflicting behaviours which upped my suspicions that all is not what it seems… That said, even I didn’t guess the whole twisted story.

All in all, this novel is compelling and intense (with some graphic content), worthy of all five stars.

5 stars to Carol Wyer for this treat! 30 years ago, Stacey, a 13 year old at the time, was kidnapped and tortured by her capturer for her father, a judge, did not pay her ransom. Stacey was finally rescued by a passing member of the police.
Now 30 years later, her ex-husband, Jack asks for her help after his daughter, Lyra is also kidnapped and receives a ransom demand. Jack makes Stacey promise not to contact the police. As an investigative journalist, Stacey uses her skills and contacts to help locate Lyra. Previously regressed memories start coming back and a whole heap of secrets and unravelled from her past.
With a gripping plot, well developed characters and a mega twist, this book will make you want to consume this story in one sitting.

The concept of this book intrigued me from the start. A girl is kidnapped and tortured and her father does not pay the ransom demanded, the kidnapper was never caught. Many years later her step daughter Lyra is taken and the kidnapping very much resembles her own.

The book gripped me from the start, it deals with Stacey the woman who was originally kidnapped, Jack her ex and Lyras father a toxic manipulative character and various people Stacey calls to help with the search, along with Stacey's father Henry who suffers from dementia but holds answers to her past.

Although action packed the book develops the characters well and I enjoyed their interactions with each other. The plot was clever and the ending very unexpected but satisfying. I enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading more from this author. Highly recommend.

Carol Wyer is a phenomenal crime writer. its like magic when she writes and you just get pulled in.
i feel like i am sat having my own viewing of a film and watching the events unfold in front of me,
This book was great with all the investigating and piecing things together as secrets start to unfold.
fast paced page turner.

This was perfection! I wasn't sure about it at first but then I started to suspect someone and I was hooked. I love that. Right or wrong I love just hating a character and finding reasons to keep hating them.
This was great for that. It starts off in a terrifying way and then it gets weird.
Thank you for the ARC.

A good read although a bit drawn out in parts but it was a well written book with a good storyline and characters.

Thank you to Netgalley and Amazon Publishing for this ARC.

When Stacy was a teenager, she was kidnapped as a child. Not only was she traumatised but she lost part of her ear and her finger in the process. Her father her judge refused to pay the ransom money and she only survived because the police found her.
Thirty years later now an investigative journalist still has nightmares of her time. But some of the memories are now hazy as her body has blocked some of the memories out after all she went through.
She gets a frantic knock on the door. It’s her ex-husband Jack. His daughter Lyra that he has had from a previous relationship, who also has a bond with Stacey has been kidnapped and they are asking for half a million pounds ransom. After what he was told with Stacey’s experience, he doesn’t want to involve the Police. So, he asks Stacey to help with her contacts she uses as a journalist. As Jack hasn’t got all the ransom money they are asking for. She even uses a hypnotherapist to reveal some of the events she went through to help jack finding Lyra. But things are still niggling at Stacy’s mind. What is Jack not saying and why does he not want the police involved?
Thanks, you Amazon for a copy of the standalone novel Behind closed doors by Carol Wyer. This is another compelling read from the author. A bit more gritty than other books from the author I have read. Although the author kept me engaged throughout. I found the ending a bit predictable and kind of guessed the ending. 4 stars from me.

I really enjoyed this book but it left me feeling frustrated throughout because I couldn’t work out who was behind everything, I kept trying to guess. My suspicions became clear at the end, although not for the reason I thought. The flashbacks to Stacey’s kidnappings felt so intense and left me with goosebumps, it was all described very well- to the point I could feel myself there with Stacey.

I have been an avid fan of Carol's work for a few years and I loved her Natalie Ward series. So I jumped at the chance to read her latest work. The main character Stacy was kidnapped 30 years ago and has never been able to recall exactly what she endured. Now she she must try to relive this event as her ex stepdaughter is in the same position she was 30 years ago. This book was good, don't get me wrong, there are some shocks and a few surprises, but for me it was too long and in places slow. Not one of her best books. I will not stop reading this very talented and favourite authors just because this book did not live upto MY Expectations.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.

Thank you so much to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I kept picking this up and putting it back down for months because I was struggling with it so bad. Finally I pushed myself through and it was just so hard for me. It was a little unbelievable and I just couldn't take the flashbacks seriously.

I'm so sorry to the author who worked so hard on this, it just clearly wasn't for me.

Behind Closed Doors is another page turner by Carol Wyer who never fails to entertain with twists and turns and always an ending I never see coming.

Behind Closed doors is no exception.

Stacey's ex-husband Jack (most unlikeable man) asks for her help in the kidnapping of his daughter.

This takes Stacey back in time with memories that she has blocked as she too was a victim of kidnapping.

Her dad did not pay the ransom. Hard to fathom

The pages turn quickly as you race to see what happened to Stacey and can she find her step daughter in time.

Can't wait to see what adventure Carol Wyer will take us on next.

Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for a gripping read that keeps you reading.

Behind Closed Doors by Carol Wyer
I give this book 4.25 stars

Can she make sense of the terrible secrets she unearths in time to save Lyra? And if she does, is she ready to face her own tormentor?

This is a standalone by this author.
A well written plot and tense story line this book really deserves the title…….page turner!
Told between Stacey’s flashbacks to her own kidnapping which slowly come back to her and present day with her frantically trying to find her stepdaughter.There was the perfect amount of suspense and twists throughout to keep me turning the pages and 2nd guessing all the way to the end.
With thanks to Netgalley,Carol Wyer and Amazon Publishing for my chance to read and review this book.

I've been a fan of Carol Wyer for a while now and knew Behind Closed Doors would not disappoint! Stacey was kidnapped and tortured over 30 years ago and, quite by accident, she was spared from a worse fate by the kidnappers, who were never apprehended. Now her stepdaughter Lyra has been kidnapped and Stacey is sure that the same person is behind it. But is she reading too much into the situation, seeing links that aren't really connected? Or could it be someone entirely different, someone who has a grudge against Lyra or her father?
Very well written and full of suspense, this book kept me glued to the pages! Highly recommend!

Behind Closed Doors is an intense thriller. It’s a bit predictable but still held many surprises. There are a lot of hints about who is involved but then in the end things twisted and I loved it. The pace is great, and I wanted to keep reading well past my bedtime.

Carol Wyer is a new to me author with a backlist I will be checking out.

Disappointed with this book. Loved the robin/Natalie series of books. Wasn't so keen on the Kate series so had high hopes that this standalone would be back on par. The outcome was obvious from the start, it was quite boring and a little repetitive. Not for me unfortunately.

Stacey O’Hara was kidnapped when she was just thirteen-years-old. She was taken to a bleak place and treated cruelly; she was frightened, her mind played tricks on her, sat there waiting to be sent back home. Her father refused to pay the ransom and so her kidnappers cut off her pinkie finger and sent it to Judge Henry O’Hara, but he was still determined not to pay the money and so it remained, and it was not paid. Then one day an anonymous phone call was made to the local police station and Stacy was duly rescued. She was acutely traumatised and gradually the atrocities she suffered became deeply buried, as a way of protecting herself. She could never truly lose track of what had happened during the time with her blackmailers because her physical injuries were there every time she looked in a mirror and saw her deformed ear and her severed finger. That evidence would never go away. Her incarcerator was never brought to justice and Stacey always wondered why her rich father did not protect her and pay her ransom. Didn’t he love her?
Thirty years later her ex-husband Jack was at her house frantically rattling on her front door. As soon as she saw Jack she knew something was terribly wrong. He was emotional and upset so she asked him to explain the emergency. He told her that Lyra, her beloved thirteen-years-old step daughter, had been abducted and the kidnappers had set a ransom of half a million pounds. They also told him he must not involve the police. He begged her to use her skills as an investigative journalist to help him find his daughter. She has unscrupulous contacts who may know something. He eventually confessed he couldn’t pay the ransom because he simply hadn’t got enough money. Stacey’s blood ran cold. The similarity of Lyra’s kidnapping and hers was all too obvious. She would do anything to save Lyra from what she, herself went through: the nightmares, the demons of the past, the uncertainty and maybe even the physical pain. No, she couldn’t even think about that without shuddering. What she could do though, first of all, is go to her therapist to see if she could help to unlock her memories and find forgotten clues from her own experience. She can search for properties that are unused and could be hiding places for Lyra’s captors. So begins her investigations, but as she knows only too well, the clock is ticking and the kidnappers are after their pound of flesh. She loves Lyra to the moon and back. She must do her very best.
I was intrigued about and invested in this novel from the first moment I started to read it. It is a standalone thriller with plenty of suspense and some really exciting twists as well as red herrings and curious alleyways. I enjoyed reading it and found it a compelling story. This author is well known for her series of thrilling crimes starring tough and driven females i.e. Detective Natalie Ward, Detective Inspector Kate Young, and Detective Inspector Robyn Carter. I believe the fourth series is in the early days too. I’m a great fan of this author and this story has really pulled out all of the stops. The storytelling is wonderful and the storyboard overflowing with activity, interesting happenings, and some devious clues! This story brought with it a cast of fantastic characters. Stacey was my favourite character because she was so selfless, brave, determined and loving. I disliked her father Henry and her ex-husband Jack. Henry was truly horrible all over. I couldn’t believe he left his young daughter to be treated as she was, and Jack was manipulative, narcissistic, jealous and abusive. The story closely examined the consequences of damaging secrets and lies. It was emotional, poignant and thought provoking. When the last twist in the story was revealed I was so shocked. I was certainly impressed because I did not see that happening.
I was so excited when I saw this new novel and requested it for review. I quickly received a complimentary copy from publisher by Thomas & Mercer, through my membership of NetGalley. Thank you for my copy sent in return for an honest review. It’s a 4.5* review from me, and a recommendation that this is a harrowing but readable crime story that will keep you turning the pages.

What first drew me in was the cover because it reminded me of another book I really loved. This book is full of suspense and lots of uncomfortable suppressed memories that have to be brought up in order to solve the mystery. I really liked it. It was a total rollercoaster ride with an unexpected twist at the end which is always what you are looking forward to when reading a mystery/thriller. The author wrote it really well and kept me guessing and wanting to know what came next. I really had no complaints when reading this. I would love to check out other work from this author and I definitely recommend giving this one a read!

Thank you for this ARC that was generously provided by the publisher and author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

- The story is a psychological crime thriller. As is mentioned, Stacy is disturbed by the kidnap of her teen step-daughter, Lyra. Is it the same person(s) who kidnapped her thirty years ago? Is it a copy cat criminal? Or a new criminal who happens to have a similar modus operandi? Read on to know.
- The other characters include Jack, her ex-husband and Lyra's father, Ashraf the private detective, Freya the mother of Lyra and Henry, Stacey's father.
- The story is an interesting family crime where close relations have strong motives and dark secrets to pit against each other. It offers you a lot to think about who and why. You'll keep guessing based on the hints so in that way, the book is exciting. I finished it in one go.
- Fully recommended for people who enjoy slow suspense and crime among a close-knit family. Also, this one doesn't have police or court procedural. It has been a while since I read a good crime investigation without the police or court.
- The reason I reduced a star is because I had strong suspicion on someone and it turned out to be the same person. The author dropped some real big hints. Or it could be because I read scores of books in the crime genre till now.
- Everything except the point I mentioned above is appreciable. The narration, the language and vocabulary, all of it is perfect.
- Lastly, the characters. I am a fan of the lead characters and am impressed with the grey ones.
- I received a review copy and I am posting my review voluntarily.

This book has so many twists and turns than a labyrinth. No sooner has one suspect been cleared than half a dozen more turn up. Some of the characters are pretty twisted too. The reasons behind Stacey's abduction were pretty horrific but the reason for Lyra's is truly evil. This is a book to be read in one sitting so don't take it to bed if you have an early start the next day. Carol Wyer is well known for her police procedurals but she has proved here that her more psychological one offs are just as good.

Thirty years ago, Stacey was kidnapped. Her father never paid the ransom and Stacey lost her pinkie finger. She was rescued thanks to a tip-off to the police just in time.

Thirty years on and Stacey’s ex husband’s daughter, Lyra, has been kidnapped. He can’t go to the police and needs Stacey’s help.

Stacey has had amnesia since her kidnapping but she now starts to have flashbacks. Are they real or because of Lyra’s kidnapping?

This is a standalone by the author and I was engrossed from the moment I started reading the prologue, as well as feeling disturbed by it!

The author has been incredibly sneaky with this story and I was left gobsmacked by the turn of events. A tale full of lies and distrust that leave you wondering what will happen next. A superb whodunit full of twists to keep you guessing.

My thanks to Thomas and Mercer & NetGalley for my copy in exchange for my honest review.

A great and quick read is Behind Closed Doors by Carol Wyer from Amazon Publishing UK via Netgalley. It will be out on 6 December.

Thirty years ago Stacey was kidnapped and tortured. Now, her ex-husband arrived at her doorstep saying his daughter Lyra has been kidnapped. Is it happening all over again? Can Stacey help even though she blocked her memories of it? Will they manage without the police? Stacey needs to go back into her past to help her ex find Lyra before it's too late.

The plot itself was not difficult and I guessed it pretty quickly, but the way it has been written makes for an awesome story. The characters were great; especially Stacey with her troubled past. The way this is described with the hypnotherapy involved makes it all the more interesting. If you're into psychological thrillers, you should definitely check this one out.

Fascinating thriller with lots of possibilities of whodunnit! Although we suspect early on who it is, the rest unfolds like a runaway freight train!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this ARC!

I’d like to thank Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Behind Closed Doors’ by Carol Wyer in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Thirty years ago Stacey was sixteen when she was abducted and held for ransom and although her memories of the event are patchy she can still remember parts of what happened. So when Stacey’s ex-husband Jack turns up asking for her to use her experience as a crime reporter to help save his daughter Lyra she agrees as she’s always had a close relationship with her step-daughter. But Stacey is worried as Lyra’s kidnapping bears startling similarities to that of her own.

‘Behind Closed Doors’ is as action-packed standalone thriller by an author better known for her enjoyable Detective Natalie Ward series. The storyline is well thought-out, the plot involving, and there’s lots of tension and twists and turns with the odd red herring thrown in to confuse. I like the characters of Stacey and her past colleague/lover Ashraf, as well as Danni the police officer who she was rescued by thirty years ago. Carol Wyer really does know how to weave excitement and suspense into a novel and despite feeling that the middle of the story was slightly too long, the dramatic conclusion more than compensated for it.

This starts off really intriguing and disturbing as we see the atrocities that Stacy is enduring during being kidnapped.
When we jump forward 30 years, the story starts to fall relatively flat. What appears to be a copycat abducting of Stacey’s stepdaughter takes a very sinister turn. However, we take a prolonged journey through the book to get to that turn. The actions of the characters are very sleepy compared to the dire situation, and the decisions Stacey makes are frustrating. The main thing that annoyed me was why the mother wasn’t told. Yes, she was in the hospital, but her daughter was missing. It just made no sense and would have raised massive alarm bells for me, but it didn’t for Stacey.
Jack’s actions were too embellished. They needed to be more subtle; he was just too over the top, which again set alarm bells off.
The story plods through the middle to get to the big reveal, but by then, I’d lost a lot of interest in the book and found myself not really caring what Stacey would uncover about her abduction and what had happened to her stepdaughter.
Stacey was too weak a character for my liking. Way too passive. She had let her father get away with not protecting or saving her. She just accepts the situation and moves on. It was all bizarre behaviour.
So, I’m afraid I didn’t really enjoy this book. It started off well, and I thought I would be reading a blinder, but unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

I'm just going to come out and say that I didn't enjoy this one. I thought it was slowly paced and there wasn't enough emotional tension. I also knew what was going to happen well before it occurred in the book and waiting for it to pan out was frustrating. I found the main character, Stacey, to be far too trusting for someone that had been kidnapped and mutilated as a teenager. She blindly believes what people are telling her throughout the novel, even though she's supposed to be this incredible journalist who always gets the scoop. Not only that but the metaphor of a vintage movie theatre and film whenever she recovered a memory from her kidnapping was grating. It felt too hokey to be genuine.

I am a big Carol Wyer fan and have avidly read her previous books. This is a standalone, so not part of a previous series. I loved everything about it! It made me remember how much I like Morecambe and I’m planning on going soon to discover the cafe that’s mentioned. The plot is fabulous and you really root for the main character, who is brave and determined despite her previous experiences. Brilliant read!

Well Carol Wyer has done it again. Created a novel that is packed with suspense, mystery and a constant sense of threat and foreboding. From the harrowing opening scenes in which we readers are given a very clear picture of what is to come, to the way on which she slow builds up a very complex and tangled tale of kidnapping and revenge, it is the kind of story that grabs you attention from the very beginning and, by the end, has the heart thumping at quite the pace.

While this is billed as a stand alone novel, the central protagonist, Stacey, is the kind of character I could see putting in a repeat appearance. As a journalist, even one whose whole life centres around Morecambe, there is a lot for her character to give, and although not necessarily known as a hotbed of crime, I’m sure that Morecambe could be nursing more than one of two dark and twisted secrets. Between her and her friends, Investigator Ashraf and former Police Officer, Penny, I can just see them battling for the sake of good all over again. Stacey was a brilliant character, one I enjoyed spending time with and despite some awkward moments where hers and Ashraf’s past came to the fore, they work really well together. Stacey is damaged, not your typical have a go hero, for reasons that become very apparent in the first few chapters, but she is also determined and not one to back down from a challenge. Just as well given what comes to pass.

This is a story of a kidnapping, that of Stacey’s step-daughter Lyra. Her ex-husband, Jack, begs Stacey for help in finding his daughter, and with the kidnappers demanding no police involvement and an eye-watering sum of money as a ransom, it really feels as though the pair might be out of their depth. Now there are many reasons why I didn’t quite trust Jack, and some of the decisions he makes are definite eyebrow raising moments. There is that sense of desperation in him, understandably given the circumstances, but Carol Wyer has done a great job in creating a kind of uncertainty around him, making me want, and by extension Stacey, to keep him at arms length.

This is a dual timeline story, the action moving seamlessly between Stacey’s future, and her past, which may well hold the key to what is happening and how to find Lyra. Her mind is like a locked room, and we join her as she tries to break down the door that is preventing her from accessing all important memories. The author keeps us all in suspense, holding back all important details until just the right moment to make the most impact, and the revelations from Stacey’s past, particularly surrounding her relationship with her father are both heartbreaking and jaw-dropping in equal measure. The pacing ebbs and flows, but there is always that underlying sense of urgency - the literal ticking clock that could be the difference between life and death for poor Lyra.

Another cracking, high stakes, high tension thriller from Carol Wyer that will keep you turning those pages quickly, right to the very last, gobsmacking revelation. Prepare yourselves for one heck of a a ride.

The first stand-alone I’ve read from this author and it was a good one. Well written with a great plot this was a very addictive read. The prologue, set in 1992, was gripping and we soon find out that the victim was Stacey O’Hara. The remaining story is set in April 2022, largely over a four day period. It is tense and full of suspense with some disturbing reveals when Stacey starts getting flashbacks to her own kidnap.

Briefly, when her ex husband, Jack, begs her to help find his daughter Lyra, who has been kidnapped, Stacey is horrified, recalling her own kidnap 30 years earlier. Her kidnapper was never found and with her father refused to pay a ransom her rescue was just pure luck. After the dreadful treatment she received she has selective amnesia but although no one believes her she is convinced the same person has Lyra as took her. She needs to remember…

Great characterisations, good and bad characters - I found Henry particularly odious. I read this very quickly as I wanted to see if Lyra was rescued in time. A good, well paced psychological drama with plenty of red herrings to keep you on your toes, very enjoyable.
4.5⭐️

Another great book from Carol Wyer.
This is a standalone book and will definitely have you racing through the pages.
Stacey was kidnapped 30 years ago but struggles to remember what happened during this traumatic time.
Her ex, Jack, contacts her out of the blue and is desparate for help as his teenage daughter has now been taken.
Stacey thinks a lot of Lyra and tells Jack she’ll do all she can to help.
They’ve been told not to go to the Police or else Lyra will be harmed, and there is a demand for money to contend with.
Stacey asks an old friend who is a PI to help but they struggle to work out where Lyra is being held.
With time ticking away Stacey sees a therapist to unlock some of the memories of her abduction and this is key to this situation.
This is a great read and one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thanks to Amazon Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

This is a brilliant psychological thriller that is full of drama and twists to keep you hooked til the very end.

When Stacey's ex husband turns up on her doorstep he is the very last person she wants to see. But realising something is wrong she let's him in. When he begs for help after explaining his daughter has been kidnapped Stacey's blood runs cold. She herself was the victim of a kidnapping 30 years ago. Can history really be repeating itself?

I loved this book and I loved Stacey. I really hope we get to read more about her in future books.

A cracking 5 star thriller.

Carol Wyer is back with a stand-alone thriller - Behind Closed Doors.

"Stacey's ex-husband shows up on her door begging for help to get his teenage daughter,Lyra, back from a kidnapper. Stacey's own kidnapping 30-years-ago was never solved and she knows the terror that Lyra is going through. Stacey can't shake the similiarities between the two cases but she'll do what ever she can to get Lyra back. Something is off though - if only she could put her finger on it."

Wyer starts off with a tense story and never lets up. If you have never read a Wyer story, there's something you need to know about her characters. None of them are safe - not a one. So you never know who will make it.
You will not like Jack - both old Jack and new Jack. And you want to yell at Stacey about him.

Stacey races to find Lyra hoping to solve her own kidnapping as well. A few red herrings and an explosive final scene.

Wyer sets this novel in a little known place in the UK and her descriptions make you want to go visit.

A great stand-alone thriller from Wyer.

Thirty years ago, Stacy was kidnapped, losing her finger and a part of her ear in the process. Now when her ex-husband, comes to her, asking for help, that his daughter Lyra was kidnapped, Stacy was forced to relive those past traumatic memories.

I do like the plot line but the story wasn't really my type. It was interesting in the beginning and I do like the snippets of the parts when Stacy was being held as a cpative and how she blamed her father for not paying the ransom. I did enjoy the story but I didn't seem fo enjoy much. This was a slow burn, not much of twists and turns you would expect in a thriller but neverthless, it was an OK thriller. However, even though I didn't enjoy this book much, I cannot wait to read more books from this author.

Worth 3.5 stars.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.

Really enjoyed this book, kept me guessing right until the end. A gripping read that I could not put down. Carol Wyer books never disappoint!

When I started reading this I thought I could never get past the fact that Jack did not contact police when her daughter was kidnapped. Fortunately the story is good and kept me reading. I did need to suspend belief, though. Everything about this story is totally unbelievable, but also totally absorbing.
Stacey's ex Jack comes to visit and wants her help saving his daughter Lyra from kidnappers. He does not want to involve police as per kidnappers wishes. Stacey herself was kidnapped thirty years ago and Jack thinks that's why she would be excellent help. Stacey starts seeing resemblances to her own kidnapping and suspects the kidnapper is the one who took her also. Stacey does not remember anything about her abduction or abductor. Now she's starting to see flashbacks and has to decide if they are real or not.
There is a lot of investigating and twists going on in this book. I enjoyed the story, even though I did not really like any of the characters. The ending was a total blast.