Into the Light

Pub Date 28 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 28 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #IntotheLight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

KEEP YOUR SECRETS CLOSE TO HOME

It’s been one year since Manny was cast out of his family and driven into the wilderness of the American Southwest. Since then, Manny lives by self-taught rules that keep him moving—and keep him alive. Now, he’s taking a chance on a traveling situation with the Varela family, whose attractive but surly son, Carlos, seems to promise a new future.

Eli abides by the rules of his family, living in a secluded community that raised him to believe his obedience will be rewarded. But an unsettling question slowly eats away at Eli’s once unwavering faith in Reconciliation: Why can’t he remember his past?

But the reported discovery of an unidentified body in the hills of Idyllwild, California, will draw both of these young men into facing their biggest fears and confronting their own identity—and who they are allowed to be.

For fans of Courtney Summers and Tiffany D. Jackson, Into the Light is a ripped-from-the-headlines story with Oshiro's signature mix of raw emotions and visceral prose—but with a startling twist you’ll have to read to believe.

KEEP YOUR SECRETS CLOSE TO HOME

PAGES 448

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I loved this book. I read it in 2 sittings within 24 hours because I couldn’t put it down. As a queer, trans POC, this book made me feel seen, enraged, sad and hopeful.

The story follows Manny, a queer teenage Latinx foster kid, as he struggles to survive on the open road after being kicked out of a mysterious religious cult. As Manny meets some kind people, we slowly discover what happened to him, and the big secret that the cult is hiding.

This is a tough journey to follow, but Manny is an amazing, strong character and I found myself connecting to him deeply. The writing is very immediate as it’s written from Manny’s point of view. We feel all his reactions, fears and hopes as he works through his trauma. There is a big surprising reveal near the end that threw me a little as it changed the tone dramatically, but the narrative choice makes sense in the end.

Highly recommend this book. It’s a short read, but an important, impactful one.

Wow this was such a great novel. I sobbed at this one; The angst and emotion in this are unreal. The cover alone... holy cow. This reminded me in a way of MORE HAPPY THAN NOT by Adam Silvera but with a twist. I was totally invested in Eli trying to figure out his past.

Into The Light is an absolutely incredible mystery and coming-of-age story that truly sucks you in and keeps you wanting more from the very first moment that you meet Manny, a queer, latinx teen adoptee who is also homeless and desperately trying to survive the world and find his sister. The book is told through flashbacks to various points of Manny's life and his present, traveling on the road with the Valera family.

I truly loved this book, and I really loved the style it was written it. It kept me on the edge of my seat, giving me enough pieces of the story to put together Manny's past but it still kept me wondering and constantly guessing at what might be next. The end truly had me emotional in the best way possible and wanting even more from the characters that I had fallen in love with and who I had seen grown so much.

this books does delve into very heavy topics, so I do recommend looking at the trigger warnings before picking his book up. However, I do highly recommend his book as I absolutely loved it and could not put it down!

*****SPOILERS*****

The one part of this book that I didn't love was the big twist about 80% in. The twist itself was interesting, however it seemed to come out of no where. I wish there had been some indication of it before, something to lead up to the twist. It seemed as if Manny's memory had been erased by trauma, which I understand was the red herring however there was nothing supernatural before that point, and after the fact we got very little reaction to it and no explanation or questioning how it happened. I wish it had been expanded upon.

***** END SPOILERS*****