Briardark

Pub Date 16 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 15 Apr 2023

For Dr. Siena Dupont and her ambitious team, the Alpenglow glacier expedition is a career-defining opportunity. But thirty miles into the desolate Deadswitch Wilderness, they discover a missing hiker dangling from a tree, and their satellite phone fails to call out.

Then the body vanishes without a trace.

The disappearance isn’t the only chilling anomaly. Siena’s map no longer aligns with the trail. The glacier they were supposed to study has inexplicably melted. Strange foliage overruns the mountainside, and a tunnel within a tree hollow lures Siena to a hidden cabin, and a stranger with a sinister message…

Holden Sharpe’s IT job offers little distraction from his wasted potential until he stumbles upon a decommissioned hard drive and an old audio file. Trapped on a mountain, Dr. Siena Dupont recounts an expedition in chaos and the bloody death of a colleague.

Entranced by the mystery, Holden searches for answers to Siena’s fate. But he is unprepared for the truth that will draw him to the outskirts of Deadswitch Wilderness—a place teeming with unfathomable nightmares and impossibilities.

A Note From the Publisher

Briardark is the first in a new cosmic horror series, perfect for fans of LOST and House of Leaves.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781959500018

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This book has me questioning my own reality in a terrifying way. I am watching the clock and counting the mountains I have been staring at for 38 years.
I couldn't put this book down and I couldn't' sleep last night and all day I have been staring at stuff trying to make sure sure it looks like it should and maybe the author is a little bit evil.
I will recommend this to everyone, especially people I hate a little bit.

I will never get over this book.

This book will likely do for hiking what Jaws did for swimming! This is a story about a small group of researchers who find themselves deep into the woods. Their goal was simply to spend six weeks researching a melting glacier.

But these woods soon become something else altogether and they change, twist, and morph making escape almost impossible. There's also a bit of cosmic horror in here as well. Our group find themselves lost between "layers" (I guess you could say) between their world and others, where things are added to the surroundings and some things are missing.

Although we have to wait for the second book to find out what happens to our characters, this book is definitely not about the destination but the journey. And it's a creepy terrifying and mysterious one all the way through.

I absolutely love this novel and highly recommend it! My review will be on my Horror Reads YouTube channel when the release date approaches.

this does what I was hoping for in a horror novel, I knew I was in a good time for based on the cover. I enjoyed the fact that it was a interesting concept and does everything I was promised. I really enjoyed the way S.A. Harian wrote this, they had a great style of writing and it worked so well in the horror genre. I can't wait to read more from the author.

"“It’s melted.” Siena wiped the hair from her face. “All of it. I thought you said you saw it!” “I did.” Cam gaped at the water. It must have been two or three weeks ago that she had checked the satellite images and the acres of Alpenglow ice still left on this rock. For all of it to melt since then was impossible. Either that, or a discovery larger than she’d ever expected."

Insidious, relentless, creepy, mind-bending, and chilling.

I’d say these words best describe “Briardark.” The first in a new series by S.A. Harian. I’m not sure how to classify this novel. At some points it’s a horror story, at others, it seems as though it is Science Fiction, then it turns to a survival story, it’s best to say, this novel is quite unlike what I’ve read in the past. The story is gripping, intelligent, and I can’t wait for the second book as we visit Briardark…

A group of women disappear on a backing-packing trip seven years ago in Deadswitch Wilderness. One of those women was a gaming influencer. Now, a group of scientists’ led by Siena enter the wilderness to study a glacier deep in the same wilderness called Alpenglow. One of the expedition members is Cam, who was in the first search for the missing women.

As they are traversing and traveling the wilderness to their destination, they happen upon a body, which looks like one of the missing women? How can that be? The body has not aged? And it’s been seven years? Soon after discovering the body, it disappears?

The expedition team reaches the base camp near the glacier they are studying and find that it’s melted? That’s impossible, right? The team notices that nature, trees, earth, and vegetation seem and feel sentient. It’s as though time and space are altered, and reality undulates.

At the same time, Holden, , who is an IT person listening to some audio files that he came across that involve the study and the wilderness.

As you probably realized, this story jumps between the expedition, mostly Siena, and Holden telling the story. Holden is looking for the group, and Siena is trying to figure it all out and survive.

This story is so much more than a mystery and horror story, the depth of the characters, the atmospheric wilderness, the feel of an insidious element. The story is dark, very dark. However, it is so very well written. I believe this book will appeal to horror, mystery, fantasy, and sci-if fans alike. I’m not a fan of the latter two, but in this book it worked so very well.

Thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher for an eARC. All opinions are my own.