The Christmas Wish

Pub Date 15 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 17 Jan 2023
Harper 360, HarperCollins

Talking about this book? Use #TheChristmasWish #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

”I’ll read anything she writes” EMILY HENRY

Can a little Christmas magic mend a broken heart?

“Absolutely screamingly hilarious, full of Christmas-y sparkle and a lovely boy-next-door romance, but with some serious depth to bring you all the feels.”—LIZZY DENT, author of The Summer Job

Newly single lawyer Gwen Baker is hoping that a family Christmas—countryside, a mountain of food and festive films—will salve the sting of her career hanging by a thread and her heart being trampled on. Because everyone else has their life sorted: even Dev, her boy-next-door crush, is now a tall, dark and handsome stranger with a fiancée. She can’t help wishing her future was clearer.

Then Gwen wakes up to discover it’s Christmas day all over again. Like Groundhog Day but with eggnog. And family arguments. On repeat.

As she figures out how to escape her own particular Christmas hell, Dev is the one bright spot. He might be all grown-up but underneath he’s just as kind and funny as she remembers.

Maybe, just maybe, her heart can be mended after all.

But how do you fall in love with someone who can’t remember you from one day to the next?

AUTHORS LOVE LINDSEY KELK

”The kind of book you can’t put down, but also want to last forever” EMILY HENRY

”I fell head over heels in love” BETH O’LEARY

”The literary equivalent of opening a glass of wine with your best friend” MHAIRI MCFARLANE

”So uplifting and wildly romantic” MARIAN KEYES

”Funny, engaging and sparkly” JANE FALLON

”Sparkles on the page like champagne in the glass” MILLY JOHNSON

”I’ll read anything she writes” EMILY HENRY

Can a little Christmas magic mend a broken heart?

“Absolutely screamingly hilarious, full of Christmas-y...

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed this holiday romance! A Christmas version of Groundhog Day, with a cast of warm, charming characters, a likable heroine and a British country setting. Fans of Christina Lauren’s In a Holidaze will also enjoy this book.

Thank you to Net Galley for the Advance Reader Copy.

Groundhogs day except make it Christmas. Gwen Baker is newly single lawyer and hoping that this holiday with her family will heal her... especially since her career is hanging on by a thread and her heart has been broken. When Gwen finds out that her boyfriend cheated on her with his receptionist and then proceeded to kick her out of their house things are not looking great.... and then there was the incident at work that has her on leave.... so spending time with her family in the countryside with beautiful mountains, festive food, and movies should be a great time right? Things take a turn for the worse when she wakes up to discover that she’s repeating Christmas day all over again... and again... and again. Now she has to grant everyone’s wishes until she figures out whose’s wish will help her wake up to the next day. Throw in old family drama, a super cute neighbor ( who just happens to be your childhood crush). secrets, and so much fun and what you get is an excellent Christmas read! Seriously, I adored this one and think it’ll be the perfect book to add to your Christmas TBR!

*Thanks Netgalley and Harper 360, HarperCollins for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*

A Christmas Wish is the perfect holiday rom-com!

Lindsey Kelk dazzles readers with holiday cheer and introduces a story significant to us all.

Gwen baker has lost everything. Her boyfriend of four years left, her ten-year career hangs in the balance, she was forced to move out of her house, and she has lost sight of herself.

Christmas is right around the corner and the last thing Gwen wants is to spend the holidays with her disagreeable family. Each year proves that her family members are miles away from one another and can never get along. After the hell of a year Gwen’s been through, she has had enough.

However, Father Christmas has other plans in mind. Gwen’s insufferable Christmas turns into a week-long stay at the same date. Yes, this is a good old-fashioned Groundhog Day situation. Everyday Gwen has to relive Christmas, with horrible results each time. In hopes of making it through the night into morning, Gwen plays peacemaker. A role that proves impossible. Every day turns out worse than the last. Christmas is very much not the cheerful celebration society had led us to believe.

Yet, the thing about relieving the same day over is you get the chance to live without caution. While every day ends on a rather unpleasant note, Gwen learns more about her family and the secrets they keep protecting one another. Add in adventures with her childhood crush, Dev, and you have a retelling Gwen looks forward to.

The only problem? Boxing Day never shows. With Gwen’s emotions for Dev intensifying each day, she is left with a dilemma. How do you fall in love with someone who doesn’t remember you from one day to the next?

Overall, A Christmas Wish is a breath of fresh air on the holiday romance scene. It’s endearing, it is loving, and it’s special. Packed with laughing out loud moments, one can’t help but fall for Kelk’s latest tale.

Above all, Kelk delivers a beautiful message along the way - family. No matter how distant you may grow from the ones you love, they are yours forever. It is never too late to mend broken hearts and there is always room to dream.

A Christmas Wish is a book too good to pass up!

Thank you to Net Galley, Harper 360/ Harper Collins, and Lindsey Kelk for the eARC for The Christmas Wish!

Gwen Baker has found herself in a rut; she's on a forced leave from work, her longterm boyfriend has left her for his receptionist, and she has dealt with familial issues of resentment and expectations. She travels to her childhood home with her cousin, Manny, to celebrate the holidays. She finds herself in a Christmas version of Groundhog's Day, where each morning she wakes up to experience Christmas again, and convinced the day is repeating to fulfill a family member's wish. Each morning she tries to fulfill a member of her family's wish, but still finds herself waking up to Christmas morning again. Through the process, she is learning more about each family member's issues, but discovering her common factor is the happy moments she experiences with her childhood crush/ neighbor, Dev.

I liked this book and it was a fun Christmas take on Groundhog's Day. It certainly demonstrates to not treat people based on what they allow you to see on the surface, but sometimes it takes communication and digging to get people to open up and improve relationships. There were times when I felt like chapters ran a little long, but overall I liked the story. I would give it 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4 here).

I really enjoyed this book. It had laugh out loud moments and was full of Christmas cheer. But it was also touching and sweet, and a reminder that things aren't always what they seem. If you are looking for an uplifting and entertaining Christmas read, this is the book for you.

Thanks so much to NetGalley and Harper 360 for the ARC!

I loved On A Night Like This! So I was pretty excited to see a Holiday Romance by Kelk!
What a great start to holiday reading. Such a sweet book with lovable characters that will have you not wanting to put the book down.

The Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk was such an incredibly fun story.
It's an interesting and immersive read that leaves you rooting for the main characters from the beginning, while also exploring family relationships, which were just a joy to read about.
It's a fabulous feel-good read, that leaves you reaching for the book to inhale just that little bit more Christmas magic! I loved it!
Not only is this book relatable and engaging, it is also a humorous and light-hearted, making for a fantastically fun read.
I loved the storyline, the characters were realistic and relatable.
A beautifully written, heartwarming, new take on romance, family, friendships and of course all the Christmas feels!
Winter can't come quick enough.... This was the perfect piece of wintery escapism and I would definitely recommend it.

A sweet, uplifting and lovely read with some gorgeous descriptions.

This is the perfect holiday escape book. The kind you grab with a cup of hot chocolate, a soft blanket and cuddle up with no place to go and just settle in for a few hours and enjoy your time in the story.

Can a little Christmas magic mend a broken heart?

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Harper Collins,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!

A cozy and charming holiday read about a woman stuck in a time loop, reliving Christmas day over and over again. Gwen is not having a great holiday season so far - her longtime boyfriend broke up with her and left her for someone else; her law office demands ridiculous hours and is a toxic "boys' club", etc. Gwen goes to spend Christmas with her family - her parents, beloved Nan, cousin Manny, sister Cerys and her annoying husband, Oliver, and their two kids.

After a disastrous Christmas full of drama, arguments, and literal fireworks, Gwen is dismayed to wake up the next day only to have it somehow be December 25th again. As she tries to break the time loop, she finds herself falling in love with her childhood crush and next door neighbor, Dev, all over again.

This was really sweet and full of British humor. There is nothing necessarily new about the plot but Gwen is a likable lead and it was easy to root for her to find her version of happiness. Recommended to fans of holiday-themed romance and Groundhog Day plots. 3.5 stars.

Thank you to Harper 360 and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy.

The Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk is a sweet, fun, festive, and entertaining contemporary fiction and romance that I really enjoyed.

Gwen Baker is a great main character, and her return home to a “Groundhog Day” of sorts Christmas experience gives her the insight and second chance at life and happiness that makes for a heartwarming narrative. Amongst the craziness, squabbles, and superficial stressors that can bring us down and deter us, Gwen is able to find answers, hope, and happiness.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Harper Collins/ Harper 360 for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 11/15/22.

I went into this one blind - I saw Lindsey Kelk and an adorable holiday book cover and I knew I had to have it. 😊🎄🎁 Lindsey Kelk became an autobuy author for me after I tried my first by her (One In A Million) and as always she delivered.

The Christmas Wish was another book filled with laughs, love, complicated relationships and of course charming characters and a feel good story. In this one Gwen Baker, big time lawyer with some big secrets, has left London behind for a visit to her quaint small town childhood home for the holidays. Cue shenanigans when a Christmas wish gets her stuck in a Groundhog Day type situation of repeating a rather disastrous December 25th…

I loved this one - I’m not one for the time loop a la Groundhog Day normally, but this one has me laughing and staying up waaaay too late to continue reading. Once again we have a wonderful quirky and loveable cast of characters - we can probably all find a familiar feel to at least one of these family members.

The story pacing was perfect and I was so invested in Gwen, in finding out the secrets and wishes of her family, and in her journey of both growth and love. The book definitely put me in the holiday spirit and is easily a top holiday read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins for the opportunity to read an early copy. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and freely offered.

This was absolutely delightful. The plot was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. The characters were charming and witty. I highly recommend this fun and quick holiday read! Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

A few months ago Gwen thought she had her life figured out. With a successful career and the perfect partner what more could she need. Suddenly she finds herself single with her job on the line and all she wants is the comfort of a Christmas at home. The universe has other plans when she keeps waking up on Christmas Day. Forced to repeat the day over and over again Gwen gets to look at things a little more closely and see that maybe she isn't the only one with secret hopes and needs this Christmas. Maybe too the life path she was one wasn't he right one after all. With a dash of romance, some seasonal cheer, and the time to look beyond the surface of those around her, maybe this Christmas will be the one that changes Gwen's years to come.

I tore through this book like a kid unwrapping presents on Christmas morning. Full of laughter and heart, this book will be a holiday time must read for me every season.

I received. copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have really *got* to start reading descriptions before just grabbing books by favorite authors because I had no idea this was a Groundhog Day/time loop kind of thing. Groundhog Day is one of my least favorite movies because to me the idea of reliving the same day over and over again is such an anxiety-inducing nightmare. I pushed through my initial time loop resistance because I really enjoy Lindsey Kelk's writing, and I'm glad I did. I really liked Gwen as a main character going through kind of an identity crisis - she's been dumped by her long term boyfriend, kicked out of the house they shared, and recently threw a stapler at a client at the high-end London law firm where she worked, which landed her on disciplinary leave. Even with my own stress at the time loop thing, I think Gwen used hers well, and managed to learn a lot about her family members and who they really are. There were some truly funny scenes that helped balance out some of the more intense parts, and this definitely got me in the mood for Christmas.

The Christmas Wish is a laugh loud kinda of read. I love the heartwarming that it has in this book I love Christmas books when there done right and this book was 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 read.

Thanks Netgalley for a arc copy of this book for a honest review

Happy Reading Lisa 📚

Gwen Baker is going THROUGH it. The last thing she needs is to be around her family on Christmas and have to pretend like her life hasn't just been completely turned to shit. She's just been dumped by her long term boyfriend that was cheating on her with his receptionist, and she has to immediately move out of their once shared home. If having your heart broken isn't enough, she's also facing the consequences of an incident at work.

As much as she loves her family and Christmas, there's sure to be some kind of meltdown. If not from the inevitable melt down with her sister, then definitely from her family learning what's going on at work. The only plus side of it all is that her old childhood friend/ next door neighbor, Dev, is back.

Post inevitable blowup, Gwen is READY for the day to end. Except, when she wakes up the next day, she realizes it's Christmas all over again. She's stuck in a Groundhog day type time loop with no foreseeable end, a full house with family members that are rubbing raw wounds, and a man next door that's unavailable.

This was a fun, quick holiday book! I really feel for Gwen, because honestly with what she's been going through, she really does have license to be miserable and it's understandable she's avoided dealing with her real issues.

Groundhog type books are such a toss up for me. I find that sometimes the plot line can be overly repetitive, but Lindsey Kelk does a good job of giving us variation. Each day gave Gwen a goal where she was connecting to her family and working on herself. To the characters around her, her actions seem more and more off nature as the book goes, but as readers we really get to see her growth.

I really enjoyed Dev's character, and wish we got more of their connection! His pop ins on her recurring days were so cute and I was left wishing each scene was a little longer. The fact that their connection starts back in childhood, I wish we got to see more of what their past was like. I think it would have given a better platform for the relationship to stand on. Time loop plots make forming romance a little more tricky.

Overall this was a good book! Absolutely hilarious bits and her cousin, Manny, is probably my favorite of the book. There's good to find in a holiday book, and this delivers all the cozy, traditional, and chaotic family antics that I enjoy. I wish there was more romance in the book, but did really like her own journey through it. I enjoyed Kelk's writing and would love to pick up another book by the author and explore something with plotline that may be more my interest.

Thank you Netgalley, Lindsey Kelk, and Harper 360 for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

↠ 3.75 stars

I truly enjoyed reading this. It was well written and captivating from the beginning. Gwen who is newly single with a broken heart after finding her boyfriend with his receptionist. Spending the holidays with her family, she wakes up on Christmas Morning repeating the day again repeatedly. It is such a sweet second chance story, I loved it. This would make a wonderful story for the holidays.

Another amazing Holiday read! I loved this one, it was laugh out loud funny and carried such a good message! (or at least I got a good message from it)

Gwen is dealing with A LOT and she is not excited about going home for Christmas. She was placed on temporary leave from work, her boyfriend dumped her for her receptionist, and her and her sister always seems to have something to fight about.

After another Christmas disaster and some pudding, Gwen finds herself in a Groundhog Day situation and it leads her two a second chance she would've never expected.

This read was amazing, ill say it again. Gwen ends up learning the valuable lesson that you can't only take care of everyone around you but sometimes you need to take care of you too. It was a romance but there was just so much more to it than that. I cannot wait for this gem to come out so I can add a physical copy to my Holiday shelf!

A wonderful holiday read - smart and sweet and hardworking London lawyer Gwen Baker is going back home to the country for Christmas. Sure, she’s just been cheated on and dumped by her boyfriend of several years and put on leave from work for violence against a co-worker (which was completely warranted) so what else could go wrong? How about being stuck in a Groundhog Day-esque Christmas Day time loop with her crazy family?

Poor Gwen is forced to live Christmas Day with her dysfunctional family over and over which is such a drag…but is it really? As she tries to get herself out the loop by delving into the innermost desires of her loved ones, she learns a thing or two as well and so do they. And the ever present constant in all the loops is her old childhood crush and neighbor Dev who just happens to be her bright spot in every scenario.

So what we have is the perfect recipe for a lovely holiday story filled with fun, romance, all the feels and a little bit of magic…enjoy!

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for sharing this ARC with me in exchange for my honest review.

This was my first Lindsey Kelk book and I am so sad that I didn’t find her sooner. I was smiling like a fool from the first page. The banter between Gwen and Manny is top tier. The references made me feel like I was listening to my best friend tell a story. I feel like EVERYONE can relate to the MC Gwen, her life and her family are a shit show in all the best ways.. AND she’s a Britney Spears ANDDD Taylor Swift stan so I mean 5/5 stars just for that. If we’re talking Hallmark type Christmas rom coms - this one takes the cake! Everything is nicely wrapped up with a pretty bow, so well in fact that I am desperate to re read it because I already miss the characters like they are my own family.

Without giving anything away since it hasn’t been released yet, I just have to urge you to preorder it bc it comes out November 15th and it will rock your entire world.

A cute and fun holiday rom-Com. I love these types of books and this one was no exception! The relationships come alive and draw you in.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper 360 for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. The Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk gave me the warm fuzzies. It was like savoring a box full of Christmas chocolates whose deep and complex flavors made them even more enjoyable than you had imagined.

I somehow chanced into another Groundhog Day plot, and I couldn't be happier about it! Our protagonist, Gwen Baker, comes home for Christmas with a broken heart and a forced leave of absence after an unfortunate incident at work. Things go from bad to worse when she fights with her perfectionist sister, dumps on her (gorgeous) neighbor, and somehow manages to hurt or disappoint just about every member of her family. Luckily, she wakes up to another Christmas Day and has a chance to do better.

I loved the depth of the characters in this novel. Kelk goes above and beyond with her character development to paint a picture of a loving family who works hard to help one another, but still finds it difficult to get things right. In order to escape her never-ending Christmas loop, Gwen attempts to fulfill the Christmas wishes of each of her family members, finally realizing that she, too, deserves love, fulfillment, and happiness.

All that, and it was funny, too! I loved the humor and heart in this book and recommend it to anyone and everyone as a perfect seasonal treat. This was a 10/10 stars from me -- an absolute Christmas delight.

I think the only things I love more than christmas are christmas books! I was a bit wary going into this book because the groundhog loop is super common in books but I was very impressed! This book was hilarious and I loved getting to see every character develop throughout the story. I do wish we could’ve seen more connection and chemistry between the characters and see more of their past for context but overall a super great christmas read that i’m 100% obsessed with!

I enjoyed this book. The plot was interesting and the characters were well developed. I would recommend this book to others and would like to read more from this author in the future.

'The Christmas Wish' is a really sweet book, and it's a perfect story for the holidays. In the book, a lawyer named Gwen has just been dumped by her boyfriend, and she is not handling it well. After an outburst at work, she's at a crossroads in her career. She heads home with her cousin, Manny, to celebrate Christmas with her parents, grandmother, and sister and her family. When she goes home, she keeps waking up on Christmas morning. Each day, she has to determine how she can break the loop that she is stuck in.

Gwen can't figure out how to get out of the time loop. She tries different things each day, and she struggles on how to get to a new day. When she wakes up on Christmas morning, she focuses on her relationship with different family members. She discovers that she doesn't know as much about her family members as she thought that she did. Through the repeating of Christmas Day, Gwen grows closer to her family, and she learns more about herself in the process.

Gwen reconnects with her childhood crush and next door neighbor, Dev, and she still has feelings for him after all of these years.

I really enjoyed all of the personal growth that Gwen went through. She learned so much about herself, and she was able to see her family in a different light. I loved the sweetness of this book, but it was also really fun! I found myself laughing out loud at several points.

I would recommend this book to anyone look for an adorable holiday story about family and what it means to grow up and discover who you really are and who you want to become.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper360 for an ARC of this book.

Wow, I think this was my favorite holiday romance I have read so far this season, and I have read a lot. I just finished this book early this morning after staying up way too long! The humor was A+ and the romance was heartwarming. The cover is also so cute. Will possibly add to my physical shelf!

The Christmas Wish was a heartwarming, magical read. You follow the main character, Gwen, a newly single lawyer back home for holidays. She gets stuck in a Groundhog Day situation and slowly starts to realize things aren’t always what they seem, especially when it comes to her family members. You will not be able to put this one down as its full of laugher & love.

This one started out a little slow for me but picked up and turned out to be a cute read! The main character learned a lot about her self and learned some good life lessons we all need reminding of.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book!

First off, I love Christmas stories, especially Christmas romance, and I love second chance love even more!

At first, I was a little iffy. I'm not a huge fan of repeating days/the groundhog day loop, they can get really boring but this one was well done. The characters were well written, it was witty and funny, the dynamics in the relationships was also done very well.

It's a good, festive romance for the Christmas season and it's a quick read once it grabs your attention!

Magically charming and laugh out loud funny in a do over and over and over again (and again) Christmas day.

Oh my gosh. This story, from the beginning, grabbed tight and held me, enthralled, in its cozy embrace. Gwen, her family, Dev - I loved these characters and I loved Gwen’s journey throughout this to find her own happiness.

Utter enjoyment from this title, an absolute recommendation.

“Loneliness is how you know something is missing. Feeling lonely means you haven’t given up hope.”

A very merrier meet cute, boy next door, friends to lovers, slow burn, time loop holiday romance.
This book was everything I could want in a romance. Gwen was stuck in a Christmas Day time loop trying to figure out her work, family and love life. There was great character development and I was laughing and crying right along with her the whole time! Such a feel good holiday read,

The Christmas Wish was lovely, hilariously funny, and full of heart. Gwen is stuck a Groundhog Day-ish loop on Christmas Eve and is trying to figure out whose dreams she needs to make come true in order to break the cycle. She has never considered that perhaps it's her own dreams she needs to follow to find true happiness. The Christmas Wish is a lighthearted, holiday read that carries a deeper message. Nothing too heavy - just a fun holiday read!
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper 360, HarperCollins for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I’ve always enjoyed books written by this author. I wasn’t sure if I would like this one as the “groundhogs Day” type stories aren’t my favorite but I really liked this one. Through a series of strange and stranger events throughout Christmas we learn more about Gwen’s family and her role in the family dynamic. Some wild and crazy things happen but with no consequences as Gwen’s day starts over again with lessons learned. Gwen is able to learn more about herself and also her childhood neighbor who is also home for the holidays who is her first love. Heartwarming, funny, zany Christmas story.

Lindsey Kelk outdid herself with this heartwarming, hilarious, and relatable read. I laughed so hard that I cried, and I felt this story on a personal level.

Down on her luck Gwen Baker ends up stuck in a ‘Groundhog Day’ Christmas loop while visiting her family over the holidays. She is forced to dig deep, connect with her family members on levels that go far beneath the surface, reconnect with a childhood crush, and find her true self in the process. But what will it take to finally stop reliving the same Christmas Day on repeat?

This festive read addresses family chaos that tends to perpetuate itself during the holidays, letting go and moving on from things and people that no longer hold value in one’s life, and finding love in a variety of forms along the way.

I give this read 4.5 stars! The ‘Groundhog Day’ type time loop can sometimes feel overplayed and strung out, however Lindsey delivered it a refreshing way that allowed for new events and fresh perspectives that kept the story moving along at a beautiful pace. This book is lighthearted and deep all at once, and it is the perfect addition to any holiday reading list!

Thank you to Lindsey Kelk, Harper 360, and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

As soon as there's a new Lindsey Kelk novel, I know it's a book I want to check out. Kelk's blend of repartee, charismatic characters and satirical situations provides audible gasps while reading in public.

From the first chapter, readers will be drawn into Gwen and Manny's road trip to celebrate Christmas with their family. While it's a time for festivities, Gwen's world looks like wrapping paper after the party. Finding a lump of coal in her relationship and career, she's not living in the present but wishing things had turned out differently.

After a disastrous Christmas, Gwen awakes to find that she's reliving the day until she gets it right. Will she be able to unravel the truth or continue celebrating Christmas 365 days a year?

Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for the early edition of #TheChristmasWish in exchange for an honest review. Once again, Kelk kept me awake until early hours of the morning until I finished the epilogue. I couldn't leave Gwen stuck in the past while I slumbered. Get ready for a Groundhog Day mixed with the reason readers heart Lindsey Kelk.

this was a good one from the start. must read and really enjoyed this from page one. I am loving this author more and more. Every book does it for me.

Ahh I absolutely love anything Lindsey Kelk writes and a fun Christmas groundhogs day book?! Yes please!! If you love main characters learning more about themselves, fun, albeit sometimes crazy family dynamics & a rekindled crush on the boy next door, pick this one up! I don’t wanna say too much about it but was exactly what you’d expect from Lindsey Kelk - hilarious, sweet & swoony. The perfect holiday read!!

This was my first time reading Lindsey Kelk's work and will not be my last!
While the setting is at Christmas time, this was more than a Christmas novel. This was a novel about reevaluating your life and all the decisions you make along the way. This was a novel about our closest relationships in life and asking ourselves how well we really know them and what is happening in their world. I loved every page! Thank you for the opportunity to read.

It’s Ground Hog’s Day meets Christmas Day in this delightful holiday romantic comedy. Gwen Baker returns home in hopes of holiday cheer after losing so much in her life: her boyfriend, her job, her happiness. Gwen doesn’t want anyone to know her failures, living in denial, and is in hopes to just ignore and power on in her life. Greeted by her caustic sister and twat of a brother-in-law, her overworked mother, her father who is living vicariously through her career, and her judgmental grandma, Gwen wants nothing better than to be the fixer of the family and make everyone happy. Things go awry at Christmas dinner when the traditional Christmas pudding with the sixpence for luck is served. As Gwen has had enough, she flees hoping to just make it through. But for some reason, Gwen awakes the next day as if Christmas did not happen and then Christmas Day keeps repeating itself. Gwen sees this as a chance to grant everyone’s wish to make the family happy, but every time makes it that much worse. The only great thing about reliving the day over again is Gwen’s chance to become reacquainted with the neighbor boy whom she fell in love with at age 13. Reliving each moment does allow Gwen to learn more about those who matter most to her and yet she hopes that her childhood crush, Dev would remember as well. Will Gwen finally be able to discover a tomorrow with Dev and find her happiness? This was a delightful read with great characters (loved Nan), full of cheer and discovering what really matters. Lots of feel-good moments and affirmation that it’s never too late to find lifetime happiness and to follow your dream. It’s a magical story, perfect for the holiday.

Many thanks to #netgalley, #thechristmaswish #harper360 #lindseykelk for the opportunity to read and review this book.

*Thank you to NetGalley, Lindsey Kelk, and the publisher for my copy of this book in exchange for review*

I absolutely adored this book, it had humor, pop culture references, tough situations, family drama, and of course a bit of romance. If this was made into a Hallmark Movie I would 100% watch it on repeat! I will be reading more of Lindsey Kelk's work in the future, for sure. :)

This was such a fun story! I loved getting into the Christmas Mood in October and this was the perfect way. Groundhog day loop isn't my favorite trope, but this was done well! I found myself giggling and routing for the couple the whole way through.

I loved the concept of this book, it was like Groundhog Day. I don’t want to give anything a way. But you need to read it! I loved it!!!

REVIEW: GROUNDHOG DAY FOR CHRISTMAS LOVERS!

Kelk delivers a delightful and fun story of family, friendships, self-discovery and love all on repeat of Christmas Day. A person might believe that reliving Christmas Day - usually thought as the happiest, most joyous time of year - sounds pretty perfect but not for Gwen Baker. For Gwen, reliving Christmas Day over and over feels like her worse nightmare until she begins to see her family and friends in a different way. She begins spending time with them individually and discovering a true sense of them. She sees their frustrations, their challenges, their hopes and dreams. As each day passes she finds ways to help them and while doing so she discovers so much about who she has been, is and wants to be going forward. The topics and emotions are all relatable to the reader. The overall story is light-hearted and filled with laughter. Kelk has produced a very enjoyable read!

Four and a Half Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭒
The Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk is a magical and charming Christmas story that is perfect for the holiday season.

Story Recap:
Gwen Baker’s life is a bit of a mess. Her career as a lawyer at a top London Law firm is hanging by a thread and her fiance, Michael left her a few months ago. She’s hoping that a family Christmas holiday is all she needs to get back to where she was before and put her life back together again.

Christmas day is full of chaos with her parents, her cousin Manny who is like a brother, and her sister Cerys, and her family all drinking a bit too much and the family dinner ends up a disaster. Next, she embarrasses herself in front of her next-door neighbor, Dev, who she’s had a crush on for years, but finally, the day is over and she’ll soon be back in London trying to get her life back in order. However, the next day turns out to be Christmas morning once again. Gwen has to find a way out of the time loop as she can’t spend another disastrous Christmas day over again.

My Thoughts:
I love a bit of magical realism, especially in Holiday books. I usually enjoy a good time loop story, and The Christmas Wish did not disappoint. Although Gwen’s family is a big chaotic mess, there is love and support deep down underneath it all. So, it was just a matter of time for Gwen to find it and appreciate her family for what it is.

The romance was definitely a side plot, and the main story is all about Gwen and how she figures out what is important in her life. But, it was a sweet romance, and although we don’t see as much of Dev as I would have liked, he’s quite a wonderful hero. I enjoyed this light and hilarious book, it was everything I want in a Holiday book, with some magic, love, and self-reflection.
Recommendation:
I highly recommend The Christmas Wish to anyone who enjoys fiction. I received a complimentary copy of this book. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is a book about self-discovery and family relationships, set around Christmas time, with some romance mixed in.

I LOVED:
“People who said violence was never the answer didn’t have older siblings.”
“We all bruised more easily at Christmas.”
“I could fill a library with my memories of you.” (Died. THIS is my favorite quote)

-The parts where Dev and Gwen are together, were swoony, silly, and sexy. I NEEDED MORE.
-This kept me laughing and smiling.
-The relatable characters and their personalities were golden.
-The Holiday atmosphere was well done.
-The great character development.
-This was set in England. I think with the right narrator, this would be an awesome audio book.

DIDN’T LOVE:
-They said, “Merry Christmas.” I thought Brit’s said, “Happy Christmas.”

-Why is she always mentioning his forearms??? He must have more physical qualities than that. It was mentioned at least 5 times. We get it sweetie. He has nice arms.

-Some of the jokes were trying a little too hard to be funny.

-THE ROMANCE! It doesn't really happen until about 75% into the book. There are cute little moments in the beginning, but it all happens way too late. I WISH it had more romance throughout. The romance was a side story. If you love that, then you will adore it! If you want a more romantic book, I would pick something else.

-I’m not sure if it really NEEDED all the language but it was hilarious in the moment.

CONTENT WARNING: Strong language, adult humor, and innuendo. One vague open-door scene.

Characters – 8
Atmosphere/Setting - 8
Writing Style – 7
Plot - 7
Intrigue - 8
Love/Relationships – 8
Enjoyment – 9
Total: 55

Divided by 7 = 7.8 (4 stars)
1.1-2.2 *
2.3-4.5 **
4.6-6.9 ***
7.0-8.9 ****
9.0-10 *****

I absolutely loved The Christmas Wish!

While I haven't read anything by Lindsey Kelk before, I will certainly read more in the future. The Christmas Wish is everything you can want in a good holiday story in 2022. It is self-aware, funny, heart-warming, and aware of its audience. Kelk does a wonderful job telling a wonderful holiday romance in a way that focuses on the protagonist, Gwen, and her journey.

Gwen is a lawyer who, until recently, seemed to have everything. When things seem to fall apart in her life, Gwen finds herself home for Christmas Day. In what could be everyone's worst nightmare, Gwen finds herself in a Groundhog Day situation where she gets to relive a dramatic Christmas Day over and over. The Christmas Wish is just as much about loving yourself, seeing your family for who they are, and putting things in the past as it is about falling in love.

I cannot recommend The Christmas Wish enough.

What a cleverly written contemporary romance with all the holiday trimmings!

Gwen Baker isn’t looking forward to Christmas. An attorney, she’s on leave from work after a disastrous incident at the law firm. It wasn’t the job that incited her reaction, but her frustration with a boyfriend that she thought would become her partner for life. More like her brother, Cousin Manny insists that once they leave London for the annual “home for the holidays” at her parents in the English countryside, all will be well with presents and holiday feasting.

It’s a charming, magical, romantic holiday treat that delights in every way. It twinkles, it sparkles, it glows!

I highly recommend pre-ordering for your holiday reading list! And for all that love the movie classic (Hint: Different holiday) with Bill Murray, you’ll delight in this entertaining storyline.

I sincerely thank Lindsey Kelk and Harper 360, HarperCollins, for my complimentary digital copy of this title, via NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.

#TheChristmasWish #NetGalley

I truly enjoyed this book. This book made me laugh and cry with how relatable it is. A lot of what the main character goes through seems like it could happen to anyone. It took me on a rollercoaster of emotions in the best way possible. There were times where I cried because what was happening felt so real, but there were also times where I was giggling and grinning. The growth the main character goes through is both amazing and inspiring. I enjoy a good, bubbly Christmas story, but it was a nice break to read a book where the main character is going through a rough patch during Christmas and ultimately coming out the other end a stronger, confident and happier person. Thanks NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book. I hope other readers can enjoy this book as much, if not more than I did

If you’re looking for a book that will have you giggling on your couch like a school girl one second and then laughing out loud 3 pages later, this is the one for you. Gwen is such a relatable character in the fact that she is far from perfect. I think something we see in a lot of romance books is a sense of unrealistic perfection in the characters. In this story, we see just how imperfect all of the characters are as Gwen goes on her journey to grant all of their wishes so she can figure out why she’s stuck in this endless time-loop. As stated in the book description, this is a love story. But it’s not just a love story between and guy and a girl. It’s a love story between a family. I felt like I was going through this journey with Gwen, and I loved how each Christmas Day was spent with a different member of the family. The personalities and issues are all so different and it was a great dynamic that led to lots of laughs and a few tears. And of course, Dev Jones made me second guess my own marriage over his fictional perfection. I do wish there were more scenes with Dev, but that’s just me being a die hard romantic & swooning over every page he appeared on. Thank you, Lindsey Kelk for my newest fictional boyfriend.

LOVED THIS! What a super fun, hilarious and adorable Christmas take on Groundhog’s Day! I had so much fun reading this one and I loved every page. It has that magical Christmas vibe and I couldn't get enough.

We meet Gwen who has had a bit of a rough time in the run up to Christmas, as she heads home for Christmas with cousin Manny by her side. She’s been cheated on and dumped by her long term boyfriend, and is on mandatory leave from her job. And if things couldn’t get any worse, after a Christmas dinner disaster and some pudding, Gwen finds herself reliving Christmas Day over and over again....

Gwen was extremely relatable, and I loved her comedic, screw-up moments as well as her honest, tender moments. In order to escape her never-ending Christmas loop, Gwen attempts to fulfill the Christmas wishes of each of her family members, and eventually realising that she, too, deserves love, fulfillment, and happiness. While on the loop, she re-discovers a lot about her family and especially herself. Her career. Her growth. Her repressed feelings. Add in adventures with her childhood crush and neighbour, Dev, who is ever present in all the loops, and who just happens to be her bright spot in every scenario.

And it’s hysterical. It's laugh-out-loud funny. The situations that Gwen finds herself in are hilariously relatable, and the book is packed with brilliantly witty and amusing dialogue. The portrayal of a family Christmas resonated so much...it was all so quintessentially British! And I just adored the references to nostalgic items and every day life, and the pop culture references. It was such a delightful story and a breath of fresh air, and with a gorgeous message that it’s never too late to find lifetime happiness and to follow your dreams.

Jam-packed with yuletide cheer, an unforgettable cast of characters, and downright hilarious hijinks, this heartwarming and uplifting read will make you believe in the power of wishes and the magic of the holidays. This was an absolute Christmas delight, and I can’t recommend it enough.

In the way of truly great British comedy, this book deals with some serious themes via the medium of humour. We touch on loss, grief, unresolved anger, sibling rivalry and trust, to name just a few, all whilst laughing, sympathising, commiserating, or fist-pumping whilst muttering "you tell him, Gwen". The situations, the conversations, and the people are so very familiar and that is where the strength of the story lies. It's also why it is so incredibly funny. We've all been tempted to hide when an unwelcome visitor calls, or indeed have hidden - haven't we? It can't just be me 😂!
Normally I would have found the epilogue just a little too sweet, a little too perfect, for my tastes. But let's remember this is a Christmas romance and you can never have too much sugar coating in a holiday love story. I loved Gwen, I loved her crazy, ridiculously normal but troubled family and I adored Drew and Dev. If you read only one Christmas book this year make it this one - you won't regret it.
Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This was just a fun happy Christmas read. I love the concept and I laughed out loud many times. The story of being stuck in your life I think is relatable to many so I found it inspiring also. This is exactly what I look for in a holiday read. It was warm cozy cheerful and funny!

Have you ever had the pleasure of reading a book that made you laugh out loud? If not, make sure you check this one out. I was open mouth laughing throughout the entirety of this book. Full on guffaw. An intense cackle that swelled up from the depths of my stomach and startled those within earshot. I am willing to bet that those around me got a full view of all of my teeth, plus the empty spaces where teeth used to be, because I had my mouth open so wide. I even earned a few weird looks from people when I would sneak and read it in public places. Who need social interactions when you have books?

The Banter was A+ level. - The relationship between Gwen and Manny was the funniest, but there were gems in the entire book. The banter was bantering like I have never seen it banter before. When I read books with this level of hilarious back and forth, I can't help but wonder if the author is this witty in real life. If so, then we need to be best friends immediately. I go absolutely weak in the knees at books with an impressive amount of wit and cleverness because you don't see it often.

Less Rom. More Com. Thank God. - Okay see, I am usually quite apprehensive about reading romantic comedies because there is usually an uncomfortable amount of *whispers* smut involved that really makes me want to barf. I am not a smut fan. I love spicy foods, but I don't love spicy books. I was prepared to skip past scenes of "growling" and "eyes raking down their bodies" and "moaning" and whatever other representation of sex that these authors can think of, but I didn't have to with this one. Let us all breathe a sigh of relief together.

Family dynamics. - It wouldn't be a holiday themed book/movie if it didn't have some level of family drama involved. This is why people hate the holidays and avoid family gatherings like the plague. The Christmas Wish was no different. I enjoyed seeing the complicated relationships between Gwen and the rest of her family members as she tried desperate to find her way out of the time loop.

Christmas vibes. Duh. - It's a Christmas book, so it goes without saying, but I still wanted to mention it. It had the perfect amount of Christmas without being overbearing and corny. Honestly. Truly. I loved this book.

Gwen is heading home for Christmas, but she's not looking forward to it. It's been a tough year - her boyfriend dumped her and she was suspended from her job - and she just wants to make it through the holiday. Well, Christmas Day is even more calamitous than she feared, and then she wakes up the next morning and has to repeat it all over again. Gwen realizes quickly that she's in a holiday time loop and sets herself to taking whatever action is needed to break it. She learns more about what's really going on in her parents' and siblings' lives and hearts, finds ways to help them move forward in life, and - eventually - applies those lessons to herself.

I loved the way The Christmas Wish combined humor and zest with more serious subject matter. The characters have legitimate problems - bad marriages, deceased family members, loneliness - the story is light and positive without ever feeling dismissive. The time loop was nicely done, glossing over the details of the repetitions (on the assumption that we've all read a time loop holiday story or two) to keep Gwen's story moving forward even as the calendar stalled. And I felt like there was just enough romance to make the story feel festive and happily-ever-after without dominating the story, which was more about family and life choices. My only quibble was that the opening chapters were a bit slow.

Adorable Groundhog Day Christmas family dramedy, with a smidge of romance. 5 stars.

Time loop books can be really fun when done right, and I rather enjoyed Kelk’s take on this story structure. As with most time loop books, the character has to figure out why it happened and how to escape the loop. Gwen suspected one of her family members found the Christmas pudding sixpence and made a wish. She was determined to spend a re-do day with each member in order to try and make their wish come true.

Each day was filled with madcap antics, but also, lots of tender moments. It was lovely watching Gwen reconnect with her family, and as she learned about the burdens each person was carrying, she was also learning a lot about herself. Though the story focused more on Gwen’s personal journey, it also featured a wonderful romance. Dev was the beautiful boy next door, and he was a fantastic love interest. Each do-over day, he won another piece of my heart, and I was filled with glee that he was part of Gwen’s story.

Overall: A fun and festive Groundhog Day story which navigated some hefty topics with lots of warmth and humor.

Adorable and hilarious romcom! This book also had a dose of reality and real life moments. Perfect ending but 10 days may have been just a bit too long. Quick and easy read!

Gwen Baker, a lawyer, has recently been dumped by her long-term boyfriend and has been placed on leave at work due to an incident involving a stapler. Her cousin, Manny, convinces her that all she needs is a nice family Christmas to get her life back on track, if she can stand all the family drama. The only good thing about this trip for Gwen is reuniting with her former crush, Dev. But, when she wakes up the day after Christmas to discover she is repeating the same day over and over again, how will she get back to her everyday life?

Lindsey Kelk perfectly intertwines hilarious moments with serious topics such as family dynamics, failed relationships, and one's worth outside of their career. There are also a lot of pop culture references, which made this book relatable. I especially loved the references to Taylor Swift! And you can't beat a Christmas rom-com filled with festive cheer. However, the story started off a little slow and I wish that it didn't take so long to get to the repeating Christmas Day story line.

Overall, this is a heartwarming holiday rom-com that is bound to put you in the festive mood. Thank you Lindsey Kelk, NetGalley, and HarperCollins for a digital ARC for review.

I loved this Christmas story! Gwen was extremely relatable. I absolutely loved her. I loved how her interactions with her family members on Christmas. Even Cerys. There wasn't very much romance but I was so enthralled with the family drama that I barely noticed. This is a heart-warming Yuletide story that is light and entertaining. You'll love this book!

I absolutely adored this book! It was cute, romantic, and compelling and I can’t wait to reread around the holidays!

Gwen's boyfriend has broken up with her; she has been suspended from her job and she does not get along with her sister. This is how she arrives home for Christmas. This book is the Groundhog Day of Christmas. Gwen keeps repeating Christmas Day until she can figure out her life and make peace with each person in it. Every Christmas day is different and focuses on a different person in her life. She learns a lot about herself during this process.

This is an enjoyable Christmas book with many laughable moments. Lindsey Kelk's books always puts a smile on my face. If you like rom coms, you will like Lindsey's books. I have read several and have enjoyed every one. If you are looking for a Christmas book give this one a try.

Thank you to #netgalley, #HarperCollins, and #LindseyKelk for a copy of this book.