On Getting Out of Bed

The Burden and Gift of Living

Pub Date 18 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 18 May 2023

Talking about this book? Use #OnGettingOutofBed #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

We aren't always honest about how difficult normal human life is. For the majority of people, sorrow, despair, anxiety, and mental illness are everyday experiences. While we have made tremendous advancements in therapy and psychiatry, the burden of living still comes down to mundane choices that we each must make—like the daily choice to get out of bed. In this deeply personal essay, Alan Noble considers the unique burden of everyday life in the modern world. Sometimes, he writes, the choice to carry on amid great suffering—to simply get out of bed—is itself a powerful witness to the goodness of life, and of God.

Advance Praise

"I read everything Alan Noble writes, and this latest book is a tour de force. Having lost a son to his battle with mental health, I've personally seen and felt what Alan writes about in this beautiful, encouraging book. It is not a sin to be sick, and your illness is not your identity. I recommend this book to everyone."

-Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life

"Alan Noble unveils the sheer paralyzing terror of a full-blown panic attack as well as just what chronic low-grade melancholy feels like inside. Some days it's all you can do just to get out of bed. Noble has no quick fixes to recommend. Rather, he points suffering Christians to the suffering Savior as the sole reason to keep on keeping on. In God's kingdom little things count: a cup of cold water given in Jesus' name, for instance. Alan Noble reminds us that simply doing the next thing can be a courageous act of faith—like getting out of bed when we'd rather not."

-Harold L. Senkbeil, author of Christ and Calamity: Grace and Gratitude in the Darkest Valley and executive director emeritus of Doxology: The Lutheran Center for Spiritual Care and Counsel

"Alan Noble has given us another great gift in writing this short, honest, and deeply moving book on the powerful witness to the goodness of life and of God of simply getting out of bed each day, especially when we experience mental suffering or affliction. It contains many gems of wisdom and profound truth, such as living one day at a time, one step at a time, accepting God's love and grace and the help of others—including mental health professionals and lay people—and reaching out to others in community. Highly recommended!"

-Siang-Yang Tan, professor of psychology at Fuller Theological Seminary and author of Counseling and Psychotherapy: A Christian Perspective

PAGES 120