Duty

Ghost Squad, Book 2

Pub Date 21 Oct 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #Duty #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Old flames burn the hottest…

Granite Falls has secrets, and some of them are deadly. After nearly dying on his team's last mission, Paul Klemperer is heading home for the first time since signing up for the Army. His hometown's grown a little. The inhabitants are older. And life has moved on, but some things are still the same. Like the way he feels about the girl he left behind—who ended up marrying someone else.

Beck Sommers has a divorce in the works; if she can just hold on, she'll be able to leave this godforsaken town. Unfortunately, her soon-to-be-ex-husband has other ideas. Her first love Paul has returned as well, making things even more complicated. And then there's the corruption, the drugs…and murder.

Beck's determined to fix what's gone wrong, but she has no idea how deep the corruption goes. And Paul? Well, he's a little behind on the local news, but one thing's for sure—he's not letting Beck get away this time.

First, though, he'll have to keep her alive…

"Wow! This is a fast read. Mainly because I couldn't put it down."—CherylB, Netgalley reviewer on Damage

"The story will keep you on the edge of your seat…" — KD Did It Edits on The Demon's Librarian

"Saintcrow writes stories that are almost always nonstop action from beginning to end. Her women are kick-ass strong, her men ruggedly handsome and dedicated to the women they serve. It isn't a bad combination at all." — CJ Reading of The Watcher series

Author Bio:
Lilith Saintcrow lives in Vancouver, Washington, with her children, dogs, cat, a library for wayward texts, and assorted other strays."

Old flames burn the hottest…

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Duty, second book in Ghost Squad series had me wrapped and I had a hard time keeping away from my story, the characters are interesting and kept me entangled in the story line!.

Wow! I'm loving this book and series! This book had everything! It had suspense, intrigue, action, murder, bad cops, drug pins, and some great black ops guys! The characters were awesome, funny, and bad azzes! The storyline was so very interesting and had me glued to my Kindle! It was an awesome read! I highly recommend reading this book and series! Plenty of action, and great characters! Don't miss out on this one! I found me a great new to me author too! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

This is an intense read. The culpability of the people in power is staggering. Bullies are always bottom dwellers but when in a position of power they are plain scary. Beck should have the power of the law behind her all things considered. But her remarkable journey to freedom makes for one neck of a read.

Duty is a lovely story about a tragic situation (trigger warnings at the very end). Although it is billed as romantic suspense and I was confident in an HEA, I also found it to be somewhat weighted down with sadness and despair. That's not bad, per se, and it's definitely realistic, but those hoping for a story typical of the trope might find themselves a little disappointed. The story is not lacking, however. It's compelling and, even knowing the caveats, worth the read.

Paul and Rebecca were high school sweethearts separated when Paul enlisted in the Army after graduation. He quickly tracked into black ops (or something like that) while she ended up marrying a guy they both knew in high school. Both situations went south, with Paul's leading to an honorable medical discharge, and Beck's leading to divorce proceedings. Paul arrives home for a reunion just as Beck is on her last reserves.

Actual romantic activity between the two is limited to their individual thoughts, which we're privy to due to alternate chapters told in their respective third-person voices. Beck is too traumatized by her soon-to-be ex husband and past regrets to even think of a different, more hopeful future with Paul. Paul, on the other hand, fills the gaps by letting us know that he's all in, that he's there to slay dragons, and that he's back in her life forever if she'll have him.

Otherwise, the story is entirely about Beck finding her way out of the mess of her life, while simultaneously figuring out how to tumble her ex's house of cards. Along the way, mostly through Paul, we learn that our weary, skittish heroine used to be full of life and mischievousness, giving us hope that she'll find herself there again someday.

This story is third (I think) in a series but my first. It follows the guys on Paul's team. Although we learn a lot about the guys through Paul's thoughts, we only meet one. Not having the full team descend on the town to aid Paul in his quest to help Paul is a real deviation from the military romantic suspense genre, but it's also more realistic, and it allows the author to use words to tell the story rather than superhuman heroics. I liked that a lot, but some might find this novel a little too cerebral in that regard.

Would I read the other novels in this series? Yes, but I would go in knowing I'm in for more of a literary ride than a steamy beach read.

I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher and Netgalley. I'm writing this review voluntarily, and it reflects my honest opinion. Thanks!

Trigger warnings: Domestic abuse, violence, PTSD

Wow, this was an intense read. I couldn't put it down! An estranged pair find themselves thrown together in a small town with lots of secrets. An abusive marriage, a crooked deputy, and an injured soldier clash in this story of romance and intrigue.

I read Lili St Crow's Strange Angels series years ago and remember it fondly, so I jumped at the chance to read something new from her. Thank you to Netgalley for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.