Pub Date 11 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 23 Feb 2023

Talking about this book? Use #OliviatheGentlemanfromOuterSpace #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Only friendship has the power to transcend time and space . . .

When six-year-old Olivia finds a glowing treasure map that only she can see, she has no idea what it means. But six years later, when a spaceship lands in the wheat fields behind the farmhouse where she lives with her dad, she discovers she has an important destiny to fulfill. She is the Princess of Blue Earth, and only she can read the map that will lead to the Black Ruby, which has the power to heal anything—including her father’s cancer.

Accompanied by a time traveler boy named Galax, she sets out on a magical and imaginative adventure that will take them to the ethereal beauty of the moon and across the wonders of space in their search for the Black Ruby. But the Black Priests also want the Ruby for nefarious reasons . . . and they’ll do anything to stop Olivia and Galax from taking it.

For fans of The Little Prince and A Wrinkle In Time.

Only friendship has the power to transcend time and space . . .

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Olivia & the Gentleman from Outer Space
by Moses Yuriyvich Mikheyev is such an adventurous book. The writing style is quiet simple but enchanted

I love the storyline between the aileen and rhe human ot shows how far away your away from home. You will always have a friend. This book was approved for me to read and review by netgalley and the publisher.

I really enjoyed reading this, it does what I wanted from a children's novel. Moses Yuriyvich Mikheyev has a great style for this type of book and I was invested in what was happening. The characters were wonderfully done and I am glad I was able to read this.

"I glanced nervously around and then cast my eyes at the empty plate before me. “Well,” I stuttered, quietly. “I think if I were to talk about myself . . . I think I’d talk about Dad, the farmhouse, Pirate, my dog, and all the animals—including the wheatfields that feed them.” I began to rub my thumbs together. “I never really knew my mom because she passed away a long time ago."

Olivia & the Gentleman from Outer Space
by Moses Yuriyvich Mikheyev is such an adventurous book.
The writing style is quite simple but enchanting at the same time
My nephews loved this book at bedtime !

What worked:
The most obvious aspect of this book is its wholesomeness. As the title states, a gentleman alien named Galax arrives on Earth to take Olivia on an adventure among the stars. Their sole mission is to retrieve the Black Ruby that can heal and repair anything but their motivation is to save Olivia’s father from dying of cancer. Galax calls Olivia the Princess of Blue Earth and refers to her with respectful terms when not using her name. His favorite number is a million billion trillion as he uses it to describe time and distance across the universe, although his spaceship and knowledge of wormholes allow him to travel more quickly than imaginable. Olivia and Galax stop to recuperate on a planet inhabited by women from Earth who do all they can to make the pair comfortable.
The author creates an inventive story based on science fiction and imagination. Galax’s spaceship is able to generate impossible speeds and is almost indestructible. Galax is able to repair and heal almost anything although the effort it takes has its limits. He’s nearing the end of his life-energy so the success of the quest is the only thing that will save him from dying. Galax has a residence on the moon and he shares a story about his meeting with the Apollo 11 astronauts. Olivia is concerned that a trip across the universe will take too long so they’ll never make it back in time to save her father. However, Galax informs her that time works differently in space as time on one planet they visit doesn’t move at all.
What didn’t work as well:
The showdown with the Black Priests in the climax lacks the suspense and uncertainty that readers might expect. The priests are a menace across the universe but the non-violent nature of the story takes the bite out of their threat.
The Final Verdict:
This book shares an entertaining journey into space that’s void of violence, profanity, and suggestive material that’s found in many middle-grade novels. The plot moves quickly resulting in a quick read that will appeal to young readers.

A cute fun scifi/fantasy for young readers. It's about adventure, friendship, and not being afraid to do things. Although the flow was a bit lacking for older readers, it was still fun.
I received an ARC copy from NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

An enchanting and well written novel. Great characters and good storytelling.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this arc, all opinions are mine

When six-year-old Olivia finds a glowing treasure map that only she can see, she has no idea what it means. But seven years later, when a spaceship lands in the wheatfields behind the farmhouse where she lives with her dad, she discovers she has an important destiny to fulfill. According to Galax, the boy in the ship, she is the Princess of Blue Earth. Only she can lead the pair to the Black Ruby, which has the power to heal anything—including her father’s cancer. The pair set out into space where they explore magical and ethereal beauty. But on their quest, they face threats from six Black Priests who could take everything away. Only friendship has the power to transcend time and space.
I really enjoyed reading this short book! Of course, it's sci-fi, and the concept is far-fetched. But it prompted me to dream. I found myself imagining what it would be like to travel to those far-away places with Olivia and Galax.
In places, the book feels a little preachy. And I noticed a few plot holes where a destination was mentioned once and then skipped over. However, I really enjoyed the message of this book. The themes of friendship, hope, teamwork, courage, self-worth, and love touched my emotions. I would definitely read more novels by the author.
Some of my favorite quotes:
“We all start out knowing magic. We are born with whirlwinds, forest fires, and comets inside us. We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get the magic educated right out of our souls. We get it churched out, spanked out, washed out, and combed out. We get put on the straight and narrow and told to be responsible. Told to act our age. Told to grow up, for God’s sake. And you know why we were told that? Because the people doing the telling were afraid of our wildness and youth, and because the magic we knew made them ashamed and sad of what they’d allowed to whither in themselves”— Robert McCammon
I suppose that’s why children grow up— to discover new things and to teach adults new ways.
It’s a home because there’s love in it.
“I am famous.”“But how?” I asked. “I’m famous to me.”
“But what if your life isn’t a good story?” He thought for a moment. “Well, then—” he began. “It is why it’s important to not only tell good stories, but to lead a life worth telling stories about.”
There’s no point in doubting yourself. You are what you’ll become. You’ll be what you always were: a majestic princess.