Twelve Days of Christmas

A Celebration of Nature

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 14 Dec 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TwelveDaysofChristmas #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A boldly illustrated gift edition of the beloved English Christmas carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas”—with an artful twist. East Coast artist Briana Corr Scott brings her naturalist’s eye to the classic holiday song, pairing the original lyrics with bold and whimsical illustrations that celebrate flora and fauna.

A kaleidoscope of monarch butterflies on milkweed flowers is Eight maids a milking; a bloom of ladybugs atop pincushion flowers is Nine ladies dancing. Six geese a laying are bordered by bright red Christmas cacti, and Five golden rings are found nestled in a magpie’s nest.

Influenced by botanical maximalism, this ornate and lushly illustrated, vintage-inspired book would be just at home on the shelves of a Victorian parlour or in the lap of a toddler.

Includes an author’s note and informative backmatter.

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 32

What an amazing visual representation of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.” Scott's creative interpretation of the poem translates into graphics that are completely nature based. At the end of the book, she even offers readers a brief description of each graphic and why she chose it.

What a beautiful gift for the holiday season.

A stunning and beautiful book filled with the loveliest artwork. This is such a gorgeous read and the perfect addition for any Christmas lover. The artwork features a naturalist’s touch to the classic 12 days of Christmas. I found it to be a delightful read that is definitely a sight for the eyes and perfect for anyone who is a fan of pretty artwork.

*Thanks Netgalley and Nimbus Publishing for sending me an arc in exchange ror an honest review*

This is a beautiful version of the old rhyme. What makes it different are the gorgeous illustrations and Scott's rendering milkmaids into butterflies and leaping lords into rabbits among others. A must for children and children at heart

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Nimbus Publishing for my copy of Twelve Days of Christmas by Briana Corr Scott in exchange for an honest review. It published October 25, 2022.
Okay, I was each page as a print to hang up every year around Christmas. This is one of the most beautifully illustrated renditions of The Twelve Days of Christmas, and I truly could lose myself in looking at the gorgeous art.
I really enjoyed the author's note in the back explaining each creature for each day of Christmas.
I highly recommend this for any library, or for your family Christmas book traditions!

The Twelve Days of Christmas-This nature themed version is absolutely beautiful. The back matter talks about the animal species featured as well as the original animals.

I absolutely adored this Christmas book. It’s so beautiful and the illustrations are breathtaking.

It would make a wonderful gift to give and read every year.

The descriptions in the back of the book were cool too.

Excellent gift and highly recommend.

This classic Christmas story/song is perfected with these gorgeous illustrations.

Each page is a work of art, the illustrations are incredibly well done and really show the love and joy of Christmas in them. The attention to detail in them is perfect. At the end of the book you have an insight into what went into the illustrations and the inspiration behind them.

This is a book that everyone will love because of the classic Christmas and beautiful illustrations.

The illustrations in this book are some of the loveliest I've seen. They add a sense of serenity to a song/poem that I've always considered to be a bit wild and crazy.

A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

3/5 - Liked it.

This is a cute retelling of the traditional "Twelve Days of Christmas" carol. The poem remains the same, but the illustrations provide insight on different creatures who have a connection either to the poem or to the holiday season. The result is very festive, but I would have liked a retelling of the poem as well as a re-interpretation on illustrations. Overall, this is a nice gift for families with young readers.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The tale may be well known to most, but that doesn't deter from this eye-candy edition. It's a lovely way to introduce a new audience or a nice addition to one's own collection. Briana even gets clever with the lyrics to keep in the theme of celebrating and loving nature, which is charming and refreshing (she says, quote, "The lyrics of the song became a playground for me to find new meaning in ancient words"). The song's text is presented on one side whilst the number and featuring subject is on the opposite. There's even a "This Book Belongs To" at the front! I always enjoy those. There is also a section in the back breaking down each flora and fauna drawn (ex: "The pear branch is surrounded by amaryllis flowers, which grow from a bulb that is commonly brought indoors at the holidays.")

Having recently learnt the term, I would say the art is like whimsical cottagecore. I want to frame basically every number entry. xD

And I kind of adore the author and illustrator; "Briana loves to make art about the overlooked details of the Atlantic coast. The underdogs of nature are a huge source of inspiration: weeds, moths, periwinkles, and fog are some of the star subjects in her work." I mean, how can you not?

I am absolutely buying this; another Top Ten of 2022.

Beautiful unique rendition of the family favorite 12 days of Christmas song. I greatly enjoyed Scott’s creativity and beautiful illustrations. The ending added a nice touch of explaining the reason for each representation. This would be a beautiful book to showcase at Christmas in the home or to read to little ones. I know my children would love searching and counting the different features. My personal favorite was the maids of milking.

This is the most BEAUTIFUL book - I wasn't expecting anything crazy since it's "just" a Twelve Days of Christmas book but the cover sucked me in and the contents inside are even more stunning. I loved that all the "gifts" were made to be nature inspired (mostly birds) and it was done in such a fun and creative way so that it still made sense with the Twelve Days of Christmas. My kids loved seeing the pictures and I'll be ordering a physical copy to look at every year!

This is a lovely Christmas children's book! This nature inspired illustrated Twelve Days of Christmas contains beautiful watercolor photos to accompany the lines of the well known song. The end gives a bit more info on the choice in illustrations and history of the lyrics. While the book is fairly short and simple, it is such a charming read that I think it easily earns it place in a home or public library.

Thank you to Nimbus Publishing and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

What a beautiful book! This warm, colorful book is sure to delight small children and lovers of art alike. Each line of the traditional song is accompanied by a gorgeous, thoughtful illustration. I especially enjoyed the explanations of the illustrations at the end. It’s an absolutely lovely Christmas book, perfect for a coffee table or family reading night!