Elsie's Wartime Wish

A captivating WW2 family saga that will pull at your heart-strings

Pub Date 26 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 14 Dec 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ElsiesWartimeWish #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

While WW2 rages, Elsie must battle for her family

Elsie Weir is trying hard to keep her family together. Living in Kiltie Street tenement in Glasgow with her mother and little sister, Jessie, isn’t easy – not least because her mother spends most days in a drunken stupor.

But life gets harder still when their mother dies suddenly, leaving Jessie and Elsie broken-hearted. When Elsie’s meagre wages won’t stretch to supporting them, they’re thrown out of their home. The future looks bleak, until their mother’s estranged family deigns to take them in.

But their relief is short-lived as it becomes clear the Mearns family have taken in the orphan sisters only for appearances, treating them cruelly behind closed doors.

When Elsie discovers the devastating secret her mother kept from them, it seems that they may have a lifeline – until that dream too, is cruelly dashed.

Now, more than ever, the sisters only have each other. But can Elsie and Jessie find some hope in a life full of heartbreak?

A heartwarming and compelling family saga that fans of Rosie Hendry and Annie Murray will love.

While WW2 rages, Elsie must battle for her family

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £1.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

The girls of Kiltie Street, Elise, Doris and Annie. This book makes you feel like you too are living through the war in a tenement flat in Glasgow. A great second book in a series and hopes for many more.

Firstly thank you Netgalley for this Arc

What another brilliant book family saga at its best. I love the characters and how you feel you are part of the story

Can’t wait to read more by this author

I thoroughly enjoyed this book set in wartime Glasgow, i didn't realise there was a first part, but it can be read as a stand alone as it's based around characters in a street .

A great story of 3 young women living in Glasgow during the war. Elsie, Doris and Annie. Following their lives, and love and heartbreak. 3 very believable characters, I couldn’t put this book down as I so engrossed and wanted them all to have a happy ever after.

Great wartime story, Elsie is trying to keep her family together after a tragedy.

Sue to fircumstances beyond her control her and her sister have to move in with a relative, but life is not kind to them as they have to fight the heartbreak they are subjected too

A great addition to the series. Fantastic characters, great setting, I was hooked and devoured this book in one sitting, was sad to finish it and keep thinking about the characters, lots of highs and lows am really looking forward to the next installment.

If you love wartime sagas this is definitely for you.
As we revisit Kiltie Street Elsie’s world is turned upside down with the loss of her mother. Elsie sees it as her duty to do her best for her younger sister Jessie which isn’t always easy when they are forced to go to life with long lost family members.
Thankfully her friends Annie & Doris always seem to be there to share problems, which they all have. Annie is adapting to life with her injured husband (Paul) home from the war with terrible injuries. Doris lives with her domineering mother who makes her feel inadequate.

I loved the descriptions of parts of the city which were familiar to me. Hope there is a third one!

Lovely book I really enjoyed reading it the story and characters go so well together and you feel as though you are there.5*

Can she keep her family together, Kiltie Street Girls book two, 1943 Glasgow, Louise Weir wants Elsie to bring her sister Jessie home from Mr and Mrs Cranston in Perthshire, WW2 is still raging but they have not had any raids in a while, her mother still a gin drinkers and bad with her nerves and Elsie works at the Fearnmore Munitions factory and looking after them both will be a big struggle for her. This book is full of secrets that have been untold for a long time after her mothers death Elsie finds family that she never knew about. Will she get her wartime wish.
The characters come in from Jeannies War as I found a delight to read more that makes this book a huge bonus to read.
I loved it and look forward to reading book three coming soon.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

I loved this story of 3 women, Elsie, Doris and Annie, who are living in Glasgow at the time of the war.

We read about all the happenings in each of their lives, where there is heartbreak and love.

I was unable to put this book down, it had me hooked.

I recommend this book.