Never Too Old to Save the World

A Midlife Calling Anthology

Pub Date 07 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 24 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #NeverTooOldtoSavetheWorld #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Once every generation there is a Chosen One, who will stand between humanity and darkness.

But why is the Chosen One so often a teenager? Why do only children get swept through portals to save the fantastic world on the other side? Whose idea was it to put the fate of the world in the hands of someone without a fully developed prefrontal cortex?

In Never Too Old to Save the World, nineteen authors explore what would happen if the Chosen One were called midlife. What would happen if the Chosen One were: a soccer mom a cat lady a nosy grandmother a social worker a retiree an aging swordmaster?

The Chosen One could be anyone— because when the universe calls, the real question is whether the hero will take up the mantle and answer their midlife calling. Sometimes the world needs a hero who's already been in the thick of chaos and survived. In those cases, age does matter.

ISBN 9781954255470
PAGES 318

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed this Anthology, it was what I was hoping for when reading the description. It was a unique concept for a horror novel. The stories were what I was hoping for and worked really well overall. I'm glad I was able to read this and hope to read more like it.

This is a fine, well edited, multi-author anthology generally themed around unlikely, older, female saviors- traditionally “heroines” but with a lot more agency than that usually implies. The stories veer toward fantasy more than science fiction and range in quality from quite effective to slight (Jim Hines’ contribution) with most better than average. I was quite taken with stories by the excellent Ursula Vernon (a reprint of Jackalope Wives), Linda Robertson, and Jon Allen. If there is a flaw, I found some of the stories too obvious - as can happen in a themed anthology - but I appreciate that the editors didn’t shy away from dark endings.