The Shadow of the Gods

Pub Date 15 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 27 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheShadowoftheGods #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Most beings live their entire lives in the shadow of the gods.

Once you leave that shadow, there’s no going back.

Ami N’uni is a starship captain with too many pirates to chase and too many lives to save. She doesn’t need complications. But she’s a sucker for helping the haunted and Kieran Krendasta definitely qualifies. He's the least powerful agent the Galactic Law Enforcement Agency has to offer — so no one believes him when he says that he’s a danger to everyone around him.

Hoping she won’t regret it, Ami invites Kieran to join her crew. His presence on her ship soon proves to be useful and distracting by equal measure. Her old enemies are beginning to surface — which wouldn’t be so bad if Kieran hadn’t brought new ones along with him.

Ami’s past might be stalking her, but something much worse is stalking Kieran. Something she can’t protect him from.

No mortal is a match for a god.

Most beings live their entire lives in the shadow of the gods.

Once you leave that shadow, there’s no going back.

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781922807007
PAGES 492

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I cannot rave enough about this book! One of the best I’ve read in a while, and so unique! Definitely a must read. It is action-packed, suspenseful and emotional. Ms. Alyce has managed to pull me into the story from the very beginning and never let go. I had to read it in one evening, talk about lack of sleep. But it was worth it, I would do it again.

This was a great start to the Pantheon War series, I love great mythological elements going on and it was a interesting plot. It does a great job in introducing the world and it does what I was expecting from a opening chapter. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and can't wait for the next book in the series. Alyce Caswell has a great writing style and I enjoyed what I read.

‘The mines will take out a significant portion of Neffron’s defences, if all goes to plan,’ Kieran commented. ‘It does improve our odds of capturing his headquarters—and perhaps even Neffron himself.’

3.5/5 Stars

The Shadow of the Gods was such a good read for me! The author Alyce Caswell wrote this book brilliantly and the story line kept me on the edge of my seat! I can not wait to read more from this "new to me" author and highly recommend this book! Ami is a starship captain who chases dare I say...Space Pirates! This book was the perfect mix of sci-fi for me. It wasn't too far out there, and the plot kept me intrigued throughout.

I was gifted a copy of this book through Net Galley, in exchange for an honest review.

Ami has to decide what she needs to do and what is most important to her. Kieran needs to decide between a life he knows and a life where he can change the galaxy. What they choose can make or break them and the galaxy around them. What will they choose and how will their lives coming together change how everyone lives.

This is a science fiction romance with more science fiction elements than romance. Learning the characters and the galaxy is hard at first. The author just throws you right into the galaxy of the book without much to go on. In some cases this can be bad but the more you read the more you understand. I am not really into the science fiction genre but this book made a good try at changing my mind. The “magic” system takes a little to understand but it is not too difficult to get it once you read more. There is a lot of information to take in as well as following the characters in their journey.

However there are really good discussions to be had within this book and I believe the author did a good job discussing these even at a galactic level. From a discussion on diversity to an overall government controlling everything, there is a discussion to be had that Caswell didn’t let go to waste.

We start out with Ami and her crew of two facing off with a pirate and slave trader. Ami has her own reasons for wanting to catch him while also fighting her own demons. The story unfolds and we find out more about why Ami is so intent about catch these slave traders and not just from the good of her heart.

Then Kieran comes into the picture and the romance begins. I have more experience in the fantasy and romance genre.

This is not a slow burn novel. This is “oh we’ve known each other for a few weeks and are meant for each other” kind of romance. Which, in my case, I like. This didn’t seem like a ridiculous notion with the way these characters pasts were portrayed. This is definitely not a romance book however.

The more you read the more invested you get. As you meet Ami, Kieran, Av and Grace the more you want to know what is going on.

Ami ran from her parents, Kieran and Av’s parent are gone and Grace is there with information. Their dynamic is an interesting one and one that you will want to know more about.

This book has discussions, romance and world building that can’t be ignored. The more you know the better this book gets. I would recommend this to any sci-fi lover.