Rivermouth

A Chronicle of Language, Faith, and Migration

Pub Date 20 Jun 2023 | Archive Date 13 Jun 2023

Talking about this book? Use #Rivermouth #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Winner of the 2022 Whiting Creative Nonfiction Grant

"Rivermouth is a great gift in a time when migrants are demonized on the shores and borders of wealthy western countries . . . Alejandra Oliva has not only written a poetic, gripping, and magnificent book, she is there, on the border, assisting the migrants in their attempts to escape hunger, deadly gangs, and dysfunctional, governments."—Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz, author of "Not A Nation of Immigrants"

The Undocumented Americans meets Tell Me How It Ends in this chronicle of translation, storytelling, and borders as understood through the United States' “immigration crisis”

In this powerful and deeply felt polemic memoir, Alejandra Oliva, a Mexican-American translator and immigrant justice activist, offers a chronological document of her experience interpreting at the US-Mexico border, and of the people she has encountered along the way. Tracing her family’s long and fluid relationship to the border, each generation born on opposite sides of the Rio Grande, and having worked on asylum cases since 2016, she knows all too well the gravity of taking someone's trauma and delivering it to the warped demands of the American immigration system.

In Rivermouth, Oliva focuses on the physical spaces that make up different phases of immigration and looks at how language and opportunity move through each of them; from the river as the waterway that separates the US and Mexico, to the table as the place over which Oliva prepares asylum seekers for their Credible Fear Interviews, and finally, to the wall as the behemoth imposition that runs along America’s southernmost border.

With lush prose and perceptive insight, Oliva encourages readers to approach the painful questions that this crisis poses with equal parts critique and compassion. By which metrics are we measuring who “deserves” American citizenship? What is the point of humanitarian systems that distribute aid conditionally? What do we owe to our most disenfranchised?

As investigative and analytical as she is meditative and introspective, sharp as she is lyrical, and incisive as she is compassionate, in Rivermouth, Oliva argues for a better world while guiding us through the suffering that makes the fight necessary and the joy that makes it worth fighting for.
Winner of the 2022 Whiting Creative Nonfiction Grant

PAGES 320

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

Rivermouth was exactly what I needed to read about the immigration crisis because it showed clearly who was *actually* experiencing the crisis: immigrants themselves. This book is a call for reform at the highest levels down to individuals' thought processes. I can't possibly recommend it enough. It's only February and I've already put Rivermouth on my Best Books of the Year list.