Minx and Spanner

Pub Date 28 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 16 Feb 2023

Talking about this book? Use #MinxandSpanner #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Minx and Spanner are two cats who are living their best lives on the same street. They’re not friends, not yet, but one day they find themselves thrown together when they are suddenly catnapped by a ruthless gang of thieves!

The gang are stealing pet cats and dogs around the area and selling them to new families who don’t know they already have owners. It’s a cat-astrophe!

Minx and Spanner must now learn to trust each other to get away and figure a way out – and what are cats best at? Running, jumping and hiding. But will they succeed in getting away? And if they do, can they find their way back home to their families?

Wonderfully illustrated by Dave Hill, this tale of new friendship, adventure and family is purr-fect for younger readers who love animal heroes and heroines!

A Note From the Publisher

Dougie Max is married and has three sons and three grandchildren. He started writing stories three years ago after telling them aloud sparked a desire to see them in print.

Marketing Plan

Cute children's story about the relationship between two cats and what happens when they get catnapped!

Themes of friendship, courage and adventure

Ideal for 7 - 9 year olds

Themes of friendship, courage and adventure

Ideal for 7 - 9 year olds

EDITION Paperback
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)
PAGES 48

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Though this book's suggested age audience is seven to nine years old, I enjoyed it myself and so did my daughter.
Minx is a beautiful white cat, a pampered pet we shall call him who lives with his human parents and a chicken. Yes, a show chicken who spends a lot of time in the house being groomed for shows. Minx thinks this chicken is annoying, but shhhhhhh, don't tell the chicken this.
Minx is so proud of his collar; it opens his cat flap leading to the outside for whenever he wants to nip out for a bit without bothering his parents.
Wandering around one day outside he sees Spanner, a ginger-haired cat, a male.
After visiting a bit with each other with Minx in the lead they go towards Minx's house and see a huge delivery truck delivering cat food . The most delicious treats are falling out of the back of the truck and being the curious cats, they are they both jump into the back of the truck to investigate.
Unluckily for them, they've both just gotten catnapped as the back of the truck shuts with a slam.
Scared as they are thrown into a cage, they wonder if they'll ever escape. Barking dogs scare them. Cats are good at hiding, scratching and jumping. Will they be able to come up with a plan?
These cats are acquaintances but not friends. Will they learn to trust each other and make a plan? Will they find their way back to their people?

Themes of friendship, courage and adventure.
Highly recommended for families! We will be reading this again and again.

Pub Date 28 Jan 2023
I was given a complimentary copy of this book.
All opinions expressed are my own,

Minx and Spanner follow treats into the back of the pet supply driver’s truck when he slams the door capturing the two cats. Dougie Max tells the story of a pet-napping gang that captures and resells pets to make money, sweeping up Minx and Spanner in their efforts.

This delightful tale shares how the two felines manage to keep their wits about them as they plot how to escape and find their way home. Mr. Max’s talent for creating an engaging adventure leads to a fun-filled read for any age.

My Review📖🖊
This is a tale of two cats, Minx and Spanner, who live on the same street and try to live the best lives possible. The pair are not friends, not yet anyway, but that is all about to change. One day they find themselves thrown together when they are suddenly catnapped by a despicable gang of thieves!
The ruthless gang are stealing pet cats and dogs around the area and selling them to new families who don't know they already have owners. To thieves, it's just business, making money.
Minx and Spanner must now learn to trust each other to get away and figure a way out, and what are cats best at? Running, jumping and hiding. But will they succeed in getting away? And if they do, can they find their way home to their families?
Beautifully illustrated throughout, Minx and Spanner is a clever adventure tale featuring two intelligent felines.
I hope this doesn't make children fearful of letting their cats out, as things have a habit of backfiring occasionally. We had a spate of dog napping in our area, and people were afraid to leave their pets in the front garden for fear of someone walking off with them. Even got to the stage where people were taking their dogs into shops because they were too feared to leave them tied up outside.
The trouble with books is that they can sometimes be too realistic and very much close to home. Still, whilst saying that, young ones old enough to enjoy this book will hopefully look at it as it is, an exciting adventure story with adorable characters.
I know this is a story because otherwise, I might have been saying a few choice words about the ineptitude of the crooks. Fancy not realising that the collars could be traced back to the original owners, let alone have a microchip embedded in them. Cannot help but think about Nanny Ogg's Greebo whenever cats are mentioned. Could you imagine a criminal putting their head through a cat-flap owned by Greebo: It doesn't bear thinking about. (Terry Pratchett has a lot to answer for).
I thought taking the Micky out of the poor dog Lucky was a little heartless, let alone scaring the poor thing to death. I did like the sound of the energetic Oscar. We don't own a dog at present, as our two have only just passed away during the last few months due to age, and it's too soon to replace them. But Oscar would be my choice of pet, though I would be sure everything is well out of his reach and buy him plenty of toys to chew to his heart's content.
This is an exciting adventure story that will probably sit more favourably with cat lovers, I suspect. Dogs don't exactly come out of this with flying colours. They are either unlucky, brainless or damn right scary. Perhaps the author's next project might involve Lucky and Oscar; now there's a challenge.
With plucky owners, adored felines, and nasty bad guys with their vicious dogs, the book has all the ingredients for a super story, so it proved. Minx and Spanner by Dougie Max is well worth a read, and I am pretty sure young pet lovers will find it thoroughly enjoyable.
Thank you, NetGalley and Matador, for the advanced copy of the book.