The Days I Loved You Most

A Novel

Pub Date 30 Jul 2024 | Archive Date 13 Aug 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheDaysILovedYouMost #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“I’ve never read a story quite like this deeply moving, complex novel." —Jodi Picoult, #1 New York Times bestselling author

A timeless tale of unwavering devotion, The Days I Loved You Most is a love story for the ages—an achingly beautiful novel that asks, What if you could choose how your own story ends?

Joseph and Evelyn’s New England beach homes have been side by side for generations. And in the summer of 1941, on the shores where they were raised, these two childhood friends fell in love. Now, more than sixty years later, with a lifetime between them, Joseph and Evelyn gather their three grown children to share the staggering news: she has received a tragic diagnosis, and he cannot live without her. So in one year’s time, they will end their lives on their own terms.

As the couple comes to grips with their fate, they retrace their past—the joys and regrets, the laughter and the sorrow—that brought them to this moment. They embark on a journey to create new memories to cherish, to live out their greatest dreams, and to comfort and connect with each of their children before they're gone. But as their final days draw closer, they must confront the stark reality of what they are about to do, and make peace with the legacy they will leave behind for their family.

An unforgettable and deeply romantic debut, The Days I Loved You Most is a moving tribute to the enduring power of love, a celebration of a lifetime spent together and a reminder that even in the darkest moments, there is always hope and beauty to be found.

A timeless tale of unwavering devotion, The Days I Loved You Most is a love...

Advance Praise

“I’ve never read a story quite like this deeply moving, complex novel — the truths we owe ourselves and others; the difference between self and selfishness; the parts of love that make us want to leave...and the parts that make us desperate to stay.”

—Jodi Picoult, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist

“Fans of Nicholas Sparks’s The Notebook will devour this unforgettable story about loss, second chances and the lengths to which we are willing to go for love. Grab your tissues and call your book club because your next must-read has arrived!”

—Pam Jenoff, New York Times bestselling author of Code Name Sapphire

“Beautiful, tender, and filled with grace, The Days I Loved You Most is a testament to enduring love and its many wondrous ripple effects. With remarkable skill, Amy Neff weaves a tale filled with wisdom about aging, devotion, and the ways those we love the most mold us forever. A gorgeous and unforgettable debut.”

—Marjan Kamali, bestselling author of The Stationery Shop

“A heartbreaking debut that will make you feel deeply, Amy Neff's The Days I Loved You Most captures the many ways family bonds are tested, unraveled, and, ultimately, tightened. Neff evokes a beautiful, vivid sense of place while crafting her characters with the utmost care.”

—Mikki Brammer, author of The Collected Regrets of Clover

“An epic love story and a sweeping family saga, The Days I Loved You Most is beautifully constructed and so poignant. Perfect for lovers of Anne Tyler, Claire Lombardo and Emma Straub. The New England setting stole my heart.”

—Georgina Moore, author of The Garnett Girls