Well Worn

Visible Mending for the Clothes You Love

Pub Date 21 May 2024 | Archive Date 21 May 2024
Chronicle Books, Princeton Architectural Press

Talking about this book? Use #WellWorn #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Mend and revive your favorite well-worn garments with this comprehensive guide to visible mending techniques from the founder of Slow Stitch Club.

From the creator of the popular Slow Stitch Club, Well Worn is a fresh and engaging clothing repair guide and accessible introduction for anyone looking to explore visible mending to revolutionize their wardrobe, whether you are a stitching pro or have never picked up a needle and thread.

Mending is a creative outlet and a slow and therapeutic skill, and author and textile artist Skye Pennant shares the joys of mending by teaching traditional darning and sashiko techniques to help fight against wardrobe perfectionism as well as fast fashion, making for gorgeous visible mending results. Her introduction includes a short history of mending followed by key techniques, fabrics, tools, and materials. Sections are organized by type of clothing to mend: Jeans & Denim, Sweaters & Knitwear, T-Shirts, Socks, and more.

An outstanding gift or self-purchase for anyone interested in refreshing their wardrobe, fostering a more sustainable lifestyle, saving money and avoiding fast fashion, or simply engaging with a crafty new creative outlet, this sewing basics book is all about mending clothes you love, one slow stitch at a time.

From the creator of the popular Slow Stitch Club, ...

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 144

I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook.
I was very excited to get this book. I was curious about what it was about. I love shopping at thrifts stores and I hardly ever buy new clothes. The only thing that I was not really into was the designs the author used on the clothes. To be honest I was not a fan of it. It looks like clothes that a hobo would wear instead of trying to make an embroidery piece for that spot etc it was just a bit let's say my style. I will say that the author shows very detailed instructions and drawings on how to fix a ripped sweater, which I thought was amazing. I will for sure go back and use these techniques.

i’m new to sewing and excited to finally be able to work on my “to-mend” pile that’s been in my closet for years! this book gives a good overview of ways to mend, and what works best with certain materials.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Great book with a lot of detailed instructions of ways to mend your own clothes and also add a unique touch to them while doing so.
Author walks you through it step by step with great guidance. Even someone who is not experienced in sewing would be able to follow this book.

If you're interested in mending your own clothing, this is the book for you. It covers different techniques for patching everything from jeans and sweaters to leggings and socks, including an extremely helpful chart that shows which techniques will work for which types of damage and clothing. Except for machine darning jeans, every technique is done by hand. Before and after photos are combined with drawings to show each technique. There's also advice on how to decide if something is worth mending in the first place, and choosing items that will last for years.

This is a great guide for mending clothes intentionally. I love doing this sort of thing and keep looking for my perfect book. This is a great addition with lots of detailed instructions and photos. I would have liked some examples of other styles of clothing and mending but it’s a fantastic resource.

I read a temporary digital copy of this book for review.

My knowledge of fixing my clothing has always needed improving. I would usually just make it up as I went along and my fixes always end up looking wonky. Well Worn was really helpful in understanding what kind of fabric requires what kind of fixes and the appropriate needle to use. I also had no idea how to do darning and this book did a good job showing how to do it. All of the instructions were clearly written out and had pictures demonstrating how to do it. I found the pictures extremely helpful. This is definitely a book to pick up if you are looking for help to get more life out of your clothes.

Great instructions, even for someone new to sewing. I hate having to get rid of clothes just because of a small hole and this book makes it seem like anyone can do their own mending. Good book for anyone looking to expand their crafting skills that learn something that can be useful day to day.

I received a copy of this from NetGalley.

I've been interested in visible mending, so this book was a good starting point to learn the basics. For absolute beginners, the author includes introductions to fabrics and supplies. I would've liked to see some more advanced stitch pattern options, but I'm sure this would be just fine for someone new to sewing.

I love that is has various ways to mend on various types of materials and garments. The mending knits section was nice and detailed. Beautiful pictures throughout.

This is a really nice basic reference source for mending a variety of types of clothing. Steps are illustrated clearly and directions are detailed. More complex mends might benefit from videos or more color photos, but this will get most people started. Mending is an area of crafting where I’m happy to see new, attractive titles.

A well rounded introduction to the technique of mending clothes. The photographs and instructions are clear and the categorization is done by the type of garment which makes it a good go to guide for a specific mending need.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a helpful book!

It includes information on mending clothes from jeans to shirts and other items. The book includes instructions on various stitches as well as pictures on how to make them. It shows various ways to mend different clothing items and to do so cutely. It also talks about the importance of mending items to keep them out of landfills. A great find for those wanting to make their wardrobe last longer.

Well Worn: Visible Mending for the Clothes You Love is an instructional book on how to mend your clothes in a way that is visible, and creative. I'm trying to be more conscious of my consumption, and I loved reading about a creative way to increase the longevity of clothing. I actually stopped halfway through to mend a large hole in my jeans with a colorful patch of my own creation, and I really enjoyed the process, and the results. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in mending clothes.

Thanks to netgalley for the earc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is an excellent book on how to mend clothing and the different tools and techniques that can be used. It includes really good instructions and pictures.

I am not a seamstress, I made a pair of gym shorts in Home Ec class in middle school but that’s it. I requested this book from NetGalley because I thought it might offer basic tasks such as fixing a button, etc however the stitching included is way more involved and detailed than I can manage. But that’s my fault not this book. If you have a basic sewing knowledge then this book is extremely well done and chock full of techniques, illustrations, and photos to help you save your favorite clothes and other items from the trash heap. However if you need basic sewing knowledge look elsewhere.

Thanks to the author and publisher for the e-arc I received from NetGalley.

This is amazing. This book is amazing. I have been looking for a book like this for literally years. Thank you for making this. It’s incredible. I’m buying a hardcopy.

This book is a solid introduction on how and why to mend clothing. Very helpful charts explain what types of mending working for various pieces of clothing and wear locations. There's enough depth to interest those with existing skill in sewing/mending. Great addition to the growing number of visible mending books out there.

This is an extensive collection of mends you can easily make on all types of clothing you might want to keep or might even want to purchase in order to save from landfill. It offers you information on when and how to mend clothing in order to keep it in use, but also improve its look by adding details.

You can find out how to mend all types of clothing, from fine garments to jeans. The details are spelled out well and techniques and tools are explained for even a layperson to understand.

This book would be a good addition to any hand crafter, environmentalist or even fashionable person's repertoire. It can give your accessories new life and help you to personalize them.

I received an advanced copy and am giving an honest review,

It’s a great feeling to repair a well loved article of clothing rather than throw it away. I had been looking for instructions on clothing repair since one of my favorite pairs of jeans developed a rip along the back pocket. This book addressed that exact repair along with many other instances of clothing damage I have encountered over the years. The author obviously knows what clothing damage is most common and addressed the repair of these in practical and unique methods. I learned a lot from this book. I’m now going to fix those comfy jeans and hopefully get many more years of wear out of them!

I can’t wait to use these mending techniques on mine and my loved one’s clothes! The attention given to different fabrics, techniques as well as which technique works best for each fabric type, and the tools needed to accomplish the repair. The directions are pretty easy to follow, coming form someone who is VERY crafty!