Amethyst, The Shallows

Buy on BN.com Buy on Bookshop.org
*This page contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.

Pub Date 06 Feb 2024 | Archive Date 28 Jan 2024

Talking about this book? Use #AmethystTheShallows #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The companion novel to The Aquamarine Surfboard

“This is a night for being brave.”

In the aftermath of a devastating sickness that shatters their close-knit beach town, six lonely kids are drawn together during the unpredictable autumn equinox. Among them are fourteen-year-old Lorelei, who yearns to be an oceanographer, and her peculiar younger brother, Tad, who possesses an otherworldly curiosity.

When Lorelei has a strange and almost deadly encounter in a sea cave, her loyal boyfriend, Casey, cannot reconcile her fantastical experience with the rational world. Condi, Lorelei’s best friend, understands ocean magic but isn’t free to share what she knows. Kait, a girl from Ireland, regrets her impulsive move to America—all because of an odd occurrence involving her deceased boyfriend’s lost surfboard. When tides turn and the moon shifts, Isaac, the new kid in town who despises the ocean, is forced to face the truth—a profound and powerful magic lives in the deep.

Guided by a wise surf master, mystical old women known as the Beachlings, and an open-hearted grandmother, six kids embark on transformative adventures that challenge their beliefs about possibilities and the intense nature of love.

The companion novel to The Aquamarine Surfboard

“This is a night for being brave.”

A Note From the Publisher

Kellye Abernathy is a former business executive, happily transformed into a yoga teacher and practical life skills advocate for trauma survivors. She believes in creatively building unique and supportive communities, one relationship at a time. A graduate of the University of Kansas, she holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary English Education. She lives in landlocked Plano, Texas, dreaming of her next trip to the sea.

Advance Praise

Praise for The Aquamarine Surfboard

“A tender, richly imagined middle-grade novel.”

BookLife (Publisher’s Weekly) – Lightning Bolt Editor’s Pick

“This book will have you laughing out loud and crying softly into its pages.”

Samantha Hui, Independent Book Review

Praise for The Aquamarine Surfboard

“A tender, richly imagined middle-grade novel.”

BookLife (Publisher’s Weekly) – Lightning Bolt Editor’s Pick

“This book will have you laughing out loud and crying...

Marketing Plan

Reading and event opportunities (live and virtual)

Book club selection

Goodreads giveaways

Social media outreach and ad-buys

Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews

Publications/newspapers/book bloggers contacted for reviews, interviews, and features

Guest on radio and podcast shows

Reading and event opportunities (live and virtual)

Book club selection

Goodreads giveaways

Social media outreach and ad-buys

Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews

Publications/newspapers/book bloggers...

EDITION Paperback
PAGES 296

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Fantasy story for teenagers and up set in a surfing beach town recovering from a wide spread sickness involving long term isolation. Much more than a simple surfing story though. There’s mystery, love, relationships between family and friends, loss, octopus and parrots and a lot more. I liked the fact that neurodiversity is also part of the story. I didn’t realise this is the second book in a series. I hadn’t read the first and still totally enjoyed this book. From the ending it seems book three is to come in the future. So if you like entertaining, easy read, good feel fantasy then there’s lots of enjoyable reading time to find in these books. Thank you to Atmosphere Press and NetGalley for the ARC. The views expressed are all mine, freely given.

I was interested from the cover and the surfing aspect. Kellye Abernathy does a great job in writing the characters and creating a realistic young adult novel. I enjoyed how everything flowed and how it worked with the Aquamarine Surfboard.

3.7 rounded up to 4/5.

"Amethyst, The Shallows" by Kellye Abernathy is a mesmerizing tale that weaves together magical realism, oceanic mystique, and the profound journey of six lonely kids navigating the aftermath of a devastating sickness in their beach town. Set against the backdrop of the unpredictable autumn equinox, the story unfolds with an almost poetic grace, capturing the essence of the sea and its enchanting secrets.

The narrative centers around fourteen-year-old Lorelei, an aspiring oceanographer, and her peculiar younger brother, Tad, whose otherworldly curiosity adds a layer of intrigue to the storyline. Abernathy masterfully introduces us to a cast of characters, each grappling with their own unique struggles, from the loyal boyfriend Casey to the mysterious Kait from Ireland and the ocean-disliking newcomer Isaac.

The magic in Abernathy's writing lies in her ability to infuse the ordinary with the extraordinary. The beach and ocean magic are palpable, creating an atmosphere that resonates with fans of H2O: Just Add Water TV show, captivating readers with its spellbinding charm. The author's stunning prose vividly brings to life the coastal setting, making the reader feel the ebb and flow of the tides and the mysteries hidden within sea caves.

The novel excels in delivering impactful character moments, exploring themes of mystery, love, and loss. As the characters embark on transformative adventures guided by a wise surf master and mystical old women known as the Beachlings, the reader is taken on a journey that challenges beliefs about possibilities and the profound nature of love.

While the novel stands strong on its own, a minor drawback is the lack of awareness about its status as the second book in a series. Despite the publisher's assurance that it can be read independently, some background from the first installment would have enhanced the reader's understanding of certain elements.

Additionally, the use of multiple points of view in split chapters occasionally makes it challenging to connect with the characters. While it adds depth to the narrative, it may leave readers yearning for a more seamless immersion into each character's perspective.

In conclusion, "Amethyst, The Shallows" is a captivating exploration of magic, mystery, and self-discovery against the backdrop of the ocean's allure. Abernathy's skillful storytelling and vivid atmosphere make this a must-read for fans of magical realism and those who appreciate the transformative power of the sea.

I always believe there's magic in the sea, and this book confirms me. Like the first book, this one is also amazing. Beautiful writings, beautiful descriptions about life at Dupitous Beach, lovely characters, and their problems to solve after the Sickness. I am so glad I can meet Condi and the others again here. I don't want to talk much and encourage you who read this review to pick this series if you haven't!

Thank you, NetGalley and Atmosphere Press for providing me with this eARC.

I was interested from the cover Kellye had done a great job the writing just flowed and was an easy cosy readi it worked with the Aquamarine Surfboard

This is a wonderful book for a younger audience. I particularly loved the fantasy elements and the adventures the kids went through. After picking this book I found it is part of a series. I haven't read the other installment, but I do recommend this author and the series. The writing flows beautifully and the characters are lovely.

It threw me off for a moment since I didn’t realize this was a second book in a series. Nevertheless, the vibes were immaculate. This felt so enchanting and riveting: the way it’s magically and whimsically written, the fleshed-out and realistic characters, and the ocean themes and setting. I’m getting strong summer vibes from this and would definitely read its first book one of these days.

This second book in the Yellow Cottage series opens with this Hawaiian village still reeling in the aftermath of the Sickness, which felt very much like an analog for Covid, though it's presented as something with mysterious origins.

Returning and new characters reflect what was like for young people during a statewide lockdown, maintaining friendships through digital communications, and suffering through the closure of beaches. It's appropriate then, that the story begins on the day the beaches reopen.

This story continues from The Aquamarine Surfboard, but the focus shifts somewhat. Condi, from the first book, is still present, but this story focuses on Lorelai, and also brings in her younger brother Tad, who is neurodivergent. His presence is just part of the way author Kellye Abernathy has addressed mental health issues, including anxiety and depression in this story – weaving them into the narrative as the very normal parts of life that they are, and doing so with grace and understanding.

Of course, surfing and the sea are still prominent in the story, and we not only get to spend more time with the Beachlings, a group of elderly women who live near (or on) the beach (I want to be one of them when I'm older), and an octopus who embodies wisdom.

As with the previous installment of this series, Abernathy blends fantasy, science fiction, and magical realism into a cohesive whole, leaving you with the scent of salt air and the feeling of having spent time in the water.

While this book is best appreciated if you've read the previous one, it also stands alone quite well. Overall, it's an enchanting tale of friendship and community with other humans and the sea.

Goes well with: mahi tacos and pineapple-mango salsa.