Lilith

Pub Date 19 Mar 2024 | Archive Date 02 Apr 2024

Talking about this book? Use #Lilith #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the internationally bestselling author of I Am Not Who You Think I Am—a New York Times Thriller of the Year—comes Lilith, an incendiary powerhouse of a novel that strikes straight at the wounded heart of America.

Mother. Hero. Villain. Killer.

After her son Lydan suffers traumatic injuries in a school shooting, single mom Elisabeth Ross grows enraged at men in power. If they won’t do anything to help end this epidemic of violence, she will. Believing it’s her destiny, she sets out to awaken the world to the cowards these men are and commits her own shocking act of violence.

Going by the name Lilith—the first wife of Adam who fled Eden rather than serve a man—she posts a video of her crime that reverberates throughout society.

Praised by some, demonized by others, and hunted by the FBI and vigilantes alike, Elisabeth must keep her identity a secret as she tries to care for her son.

As events take startling twists, Elisabeth begins to question her act of violence and the very roots and mythology of violence itself. Was her act justified or has she become the monster that the original Lilith was accused of being?

As the FBI draws closer, and Lydan starts to display odd, terrifying behavior, Elisabeth plots to avoid capture and keep her son safe at all costs, fearing she’ll never escape what she’s done without losing her son forever.

Written with Rickstad’s singular command of language, human insight, and unnerving suspense, Lilith is a tale of our times. Tragic and profound, it echoes in the mind and lingers in the blood.

A Note From the Publisher

Eric Rickstad is the New York Times bestselling author of I Am Not Who You Think I Am, Reap, What Remains of Her, and the Canaan Crime Trilogy, which has sold more than a half million copies worldwide. He lives in Vermont with his wife, daughter, and son.

Marketing Plan

• New York Times and internationally bestselling author
  • National print and digital advertising
  • National media and reviews
  • Major early reader trade and consumer review campaign
  • Multiplatform social media campaign
  • Featured title at library and bookseller trade shows
  • Featured author at thriller and mystery conferences
  • Twitter: @ericrickstad (16.9K followers)

• New York Times and internationally bestselling author
  • National print and digital advertising
  • National media and reviews
  • Major early reader trade and consumer review campaign
  • Multiplatform social media...

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 245

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I feel like I was punched in the gut with humanity. What a powerful and feminist read! Humanity is slowly slipping and this book brought so many new thoughts to life.

After her son is irreparably harmed in a school shooting, one mother decides she’s not going to standby and let men in power continue to do nothing. Elisabeth becomes a vigilante, known by the name Lilith, after Adam‘s first wife in the Bible, the woman who refused to let her husband control her. Elisabeth becomes a vigilante of sorts, admired by many and despised by others after she broadcasts her own act of retaliatory violence online, and she becomes a target of the FBI. Trying to keep her identity a secret, even as she starts to see frightening changes in her own son’s behavior, Elisabeth find yourself caught in the world where violence seems to be the only answer. A powerful statement about how society views women and firearms in this country. Not to be missed.

Lilith is a compulsively readable novel about a mother who has been pushed to the edge because of a mass shooting at the school she teaches in. The narrator, Elisabeth, is a thirty something single mother of Lydan, a seven year old boy. Early on in the novel, a shooter targets their elementary school, leaving many children dead, injured, and/or traumatized. Lydan is grievously injured, but survives due to his mother's bravery.

Understandably, Elisabeth, becomes enraged by what happened at her school and continues to happen every week in the United States. She keeps seeing a gun enthusiast, Clay Akers, on the news, proudly proclaiming that the answer to gun violence is more guns. The writing style was a bit clunky and old fashioned for my tastes, but I was so enthralled in what might happen. Elisabeth is determined to quiet the voices of narcissistic, violent, foolish men like Akers.

This book is very thought-provoking and Elisabeth ponders what we're doing and why things have become so bad in the US. We express our opinions online, but to what end? Does anything actually change? How can we protect our children when mass shootings are so prevalent? Are school administrators helping or hurting when it comes to violence? Children are traumatized by drills and safety protocols may put children in the crossfire. Overall, a fascinating read about violence and how hard we can be pushed by it.

Thank you Blacstone Publishing and NetGalley for providing this ARC. All thoughts are my own.

Elizabeth Ross, single mother and school teacher, has had enough.
Her son Lydan has been seriously wounded in a school shooting and she herself was shot.
Men are on television advocating for more guns. Gun sales are increasing.
Elizabeth, under the guise of Lilith, takes matters into her own hands.

I read Lilith with white knuckles, with an elevated heart rate. It's been quite a while since I was so consumed by words on a page. This was an engrossing read and I took small breaks while reading this because I felt the anxiety, fear, and stress Elizabeth was under.

I am sure to recommend frequently Lilith frequently.

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC. All opinions are my own.

Lilith
by Eric Rickstad
March 19, 2024
Blackstone
Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
From the internationally bestselling author of I Am Not Who You Think I Am—a New York Times Thriller of the Year—comes Lilith, an incendiary powerhouse of a novel that strikes straight at the wounded heart of America.

Mother. Hero. Villain. Killer.
Powerful and a book you will remember.
4 stars

I loved the use of Lilith in this book, it had everything that I wanted with the addition of the mythology. It had a interesting concept for a book and I was engaged with the characters in this world. I thought Eric Rickstad wrote this perfectly and I was enjoying the crime element to it. It left me wanting to read more in this world and from Eric Rickstad.